Maverick Fanbase Grows; Sales Double as Ford Expands Production

Maverick Fanbase Grows; Sales Double as Ford Expands Production

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2024/02/05/maverick-fanbase-grows--sales-double-as-ford-expands-production.html

Ford Media_2024 Maverick_Maverick Fanbase Grows_Customer Brian Foster.jpg

In 32 years of driving, Jay Whitehurst has never owned a truck. He’s also never owned a Ford.

But after moving from New Orleans to a hay farm in rural Mississippi, lugging cans of diesel for farm equipment and animal food in the back of his Kia Soul just wasn’t going to cut it. That’s when someone told him about the Ford Maverick.

“I didn’t want a big truck,” said Whitehurst, who works in radio broadcasting. “When the Maverick came out, I salivated. I test drove a 2022 model year and walked away thinking, ‘Yeah, I think this is the truck for me.’”

Whitehurst is one of thousands of customers who got their Maverick trucks faster thanks to expanded production capacity installed in late 2023. This expanded capacity helped increase U.S. sales to 12,443 in January, up nearly double compared to the same month a year ago. January sales even topped that of the larger Toyota Tacoma. 

Timothy Bruggeman of Shawnee, Kansas, picked up his Ford Maverick Hybrid late last year – his second Maverick. He saw smaller pickups and even test-drove a Maverick while living in Brazil for his job as a power-plant engineer in 2022. When he returned to the states, he found a Maverick XLT at his local dealership to hold him over until his hybrid model was manufactured. 

“It’s got the truck functionality I need but drives like a car,” said Bruggeman, who never owned a truck before Maverick.

He said he uses his truck for runs to the hardware store for lumber or mulch in the spring, and also tosses his clay target equipment in the bed before heading to the range. His most unique-use case happened last Labor Day, when he put a blow-up mattress in the bed so he had a place to relax while participating in the world’s longest baseball game.  

Brian Foster of Irvine, California, already had a 2023 Maverick XLT – now retrofitted with a midrise shell, seat covers and an aftermarket stereo system – when he ordered a 2024 Maverick XL Hybrid for his son, who fell in love after borrowing dad’s Maverick for four months. Production for that truck is not yet scheduled, though the two found a truck in stock at Long McArthur Ford in Salina, Kansas, flew out and made the 1,400-mile trip back to California.

Foster said the 2024 Maverick XL Hybrid will likely go to his daughter after it is manufactured.

Foster also noted his trust in the hybrid model based on Ford’s history with that technology, which dates back to the world’s first hybrid SUV in 2005.

“My parents owned hybrid Ford vehicles since they were first introduced,” Foster said. “I think the hybrid drivetrain that's been well proven paired with a truck is brilliant.”

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 2

“I didn’t want a big truck,” said Whitehurst, who works in radio broadcasting. “When the Maverick came out, I salivated. I test drove a 2022 model year and walked away thinking, ‘Yeah, I think this is the truck for me.’”

Nobody salivated over a Fusion.

Brian Foster of Irvine, California, already had a 2023 Maverick XLT – now retrofitted with a midrise shell, seat covers and an aftermarket stereo system

Tried to tell you guys the Maverick owners are passionate and do a lot more customizing than sedan owners.  And buyers like that don’t need discounts or rebates.

• Like 1

We just bought our first Maverick for work last month. Canopy on top to keep equipment dry and haul Ladders. So far so good. It’s a test run for us to replace transit connects as Ford isn’t making them going forward. 

Now if only we could get an AWD Hybrid version. And adaptive cruise on an XLT. ?

Edited by blazerdude20

The guy previously owned a Kia Soul, hardly a passion vehicle.  He’s more likely to buy based on affordability and value, which is about the only things Kia Soul and Maverick have in common.  Obviously many buyers are passionate about getting a good deal, and not having to pay for crap they don’t want or need. Glad to see Ford will build more of them.  Just hope they keep cost low.

23 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

The guy previously owned a Kia Soul, hardly a passion vehicle.  He’s more likely to buy based on affordability and value, which is about the only things Kia Soul and Maverick have in common.  Obviously many buyers are passionate about getting a good deal, and not having to pay for crap they don’t want or need. Glad to see Ford will build more of them.  Just hope they keep cost low.

Nice way of being dismissive of someone's buying choices. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Tried to tell you guys the Maverick owners are passionate and do a lot more customizing than sedan owners.  And buyers like that don’t need discounts or rebates.

Heck, mine is at the dealer as we speak getting a new set of glossy black rims,,,,,,

HRG

• Like 5

guy flew and then drove 1400 miles back to California....says something about availability right there. We have been seeing a few more recently though....I absolutely dig the vehicles simplicity....

• Like 3

The ability to easily tap into the 12V system in the bed is great as well. We added a 12V outlet back there for an inverter and large Anker battery . Charges the battery while driving. Battery pack then keeps tools charged when on sites (or fridge for camping).  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Maybe accessorizing is popular on the Maverick because after buying one they can still afford accessories?

Maybe you and Rick73 have no freaking clue about Maverick buyers.

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

Flying and driving 1400 miles is low cost.  Good grief.  

Wonder how many went in for a Ranger, and figured this is more suited to their needs and more readily available.  And of course, I'm still annoyed because the order bank for the 2.7L V6 has not yet opened up.  Supposedly now it's a Summer release ....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Nobody salivated over a Fusion.

Exactly, I keep hearing about how the maverick isn't a passion product, how buyers don't care about it. Something tells me the people saying that aren't maverick owners. I adore our '22 maverick hybrid XLT in area 51 for a number of reasons. 

It's a great passion product, so often with more affordable offerings, you get the impression that the team who worked on it didn't care about what they were making. That the people working on your Camry's and accords have a "They'll take whatever we give them, who cares, it's cheap" mentality. You don't get that impression with the maverick, you get the impression that the people who worked on it wanted to deliver something really special, because they wanted to own one themselves. 

My family are about as far removed from your typical truck buyers as you can get when it comes to most of the demographics, and psychographic. I never thought we would own a truck, but a few years ago, I remember thinking, it would be nice if someone made a truck similar in size to the old rangers, but that was more enticing as a day to day car, more fuel efficient, better driving dynamics, etc. The maverick is literally the exact vehicle I had in mind, it's stellar. 

Unless the hybrid system has issues, highly unlikely considering the reputation the 2.5 hybrid system has, I can see us owning this vehicle for decades. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Actually, I feel like Souls CAN be one of those "passion" products for Kia - I feel it had a following, at least initially.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I've always liked the Souls (though dislike what they did with the current.....the refresh fixed the front, but didn't like the wraparound taillight.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

guy flew and then drove 1400 miles back to California....says something about availability right there. 

We got our 2022 after 3 weeks of waiting without paying for a markup. You just have to find the right dealership. A canceled order that just happened to almost perfectly line up with our desired spec. It's a long story of the dealership messing up, but bending over backwards to make it right in the end. 

Props to Larry. H Miller, a chain of dealerships on the western side of the country that have a very good reputation for a reason. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

We got our 2022 after 3 weeks of waiting without paying for a markup. You just have to find the right dealership. A canceled order that just happened to almost perfectly line up with our desired spec. It's a long story of the dealership messing up, but bending over backwards to make it right in the end. 

Props to Larry. H Miller, a chain of dealerships on the western side of the country that have a very good reputation for a reason. 

we arent marking ours up much if any, irony is used ones are seling for more than new ( when we have them ) three things stand out with the Maverick IMO, affordability, simplicity and "fun".....( although the third is a state of mind )...but the owners flat out LOVE them, and I keep hearing the "anti tech" backlash from owners..they ;ove the lack of frivilous BS.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I've been seriously tempted to buy a Maverick, but needed a couple feet more cargo length so I bought Transit Connect instead.

You'd be surprised, virtually everything you see in this two car garage was hauled by our maverick at some point, including the mattress. That's not counting all the countless items inside the house you can't see that it also hauled, and the truck load after truck load of donations it carried to a local goodwill. 

The bed is a little tight, but it can handle way more than most people think without putting strain on the vehicle. It's a really capable truck for it's size. 

IMG_20240205_125016.jpg

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

I have no need or interest in a truck that small personally, but I knew it would be a hit when I saw it. It hits a sweet spot on affordability and capability while still being unique and pretty cool, it has a lot of people that would never look at a Ford looking.

Still think "passion" products is kind of misleading, like I said in the other thread.. there's plenty of people passionate about owning their boring ass Toyota/Honda sedan because it never lets them down and that's what matters to them. If "passion" means build something that people want to own for whatever reason, then uhh.. duh, you want people to want what you sell. Passion/commodity kind of falls apart if you change the rules to what it fits.

Not disagreeing or agreeing with either side of the on-going argument, just trying to think out what's been said to it's logical end.

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

we arent marking ours up much if any, irony is used ones are seling for more than new ( when we have them ) three things stand out with the Maverick IMO, affordability, simplicity and "fun".....( although the third is a state of mind )...but the owners flat out LOVE them, and I keep hearing the "anti tech" backlash from owners..they ;ove the lack of frivilous BS.

Agree 100%.  I knew Maverick would be a hit after first seeing it at Houston Rodeo when first introduced.  Like you said, I liked affordability and simplicity, and figure it should be fun to drive around town due to compact size.  Should fit in my garage nicely too. Dealers have been marking up so it’s worth waiting if not in a hurry.  I even like that hybrid is flat towable (for behind a motorhome).  Small bed is only downside I can think of.

Maybe it is semantics, but I personally don’t consider it passion as much as old-fashion good value.  Maverick is a desirable vehicle at a great price.

We ordered my wife’s Maverick, it took 13 months, but we paid MSRP, and had no markups.  Bought from the same salesman as I bought my last five Fords. Paid MSRP on the Lightning and Mach-E too. 

Wife is very happy with the Maverick. It’s fun to drive (hers is the 2.5/Non-Hybrid).  The engine noise is weird, but other than that its a very good value. 

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

We ordered my wife’s Maverick, it took 13 months, but we paid MSRP, and had no markups.  Bought from the same salesman as I bought my last five Fords. Paid MSRP on the Lightning and Mach-E too. 

Wife is very happy with the Maverick. It’s fun to drive (hers is the 2.5/Non-Hybrid).  The engine noise is weird, but other than that its a very good value. 

Do you mean the 2.0 Ecoboost? Solid choice. The 2.5 is hybrid only. 

Checked dealer inventory near my home for reference, and two closest dealers do not have any hybrid XLT.  Between the two dealers they have one Maverick, and it’s an EcoBoost.  If willing to drive a bit, there are a few hybrid XLT listed in area.

MSRPs of available hybrid XLT are in $30,000 range.  That’s no doubt a good price, but reminded me that vehicles have become much more expensive over time.  Adjusted for inflation I paid just about $21,000 for an XLT Ranger years ago.  Today’s Maverick is a nicer truck than my Ranger ever was, but if I could buy a similar truck today for the same $21,000, I’d choose it over $30,000 hybrid XLT Maverick.  Just a reminder that vehicle affordability is relative, and not improving.