FORD MUSTANG V8 WILL PAY DIVIDENDS NOW THAT RIVALS ARE GONE

43 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

Yeah, I wouldn't take  a 4 cylinder Mustang if they were giving them away.  I am surprised the take rate is a high as it is.   They are the subject of ridicule in my area.

Thats pretty stupid considering it’s faster than a 98 V8 Cobra.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

When I had my Mustang, I didn't even consider the 4-cylinder.  I wouldn't have considered a 6-cylinder either.  It was V8 or I wasn't getting one.

I wouldn’t consider a 4-cylinder Mustang either, though I’ve owned various 4-cylinder vehicles and was happy with all engines except for my one and only Chevy.

A great 6 in a Mustang would be tempting because I don’t need 400+ horsepower.  A long time ago one of my cousins had a 67 Mustang with 200 cubic inch six and it was as much fun to drive as my first Mustang with 289 V8.  On the other hand I rented a Mustang with a 3.7L V6 many years later and did not care for it at all.  Part of it was that it was automatic and in DC traffic constant shifting was annoying.  Engine didn’t feel as smooth either.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think the primary expectation of a Mustang is it should have a V8 and its corresponding sound with respect to the muscle car history even though there have been four and six cylinder versions in the past.  

With that said the Eco is a great engine with excellent performance that would likely be respected if it were in anything other than a Mustang.  My 22 year old son scoffs at the 4 cylinders even though they offer a lot of bang for the buck. 

13 minutes ago, tbone said:

I think the primary expectation of a Mustang is it should have a V8 and its corresponding sound with respect to the muscle car history even though there have been four and six cylinder versions in the past.  

With that said the Eco is a great engine with excellent performance that would likely be respected if it were in anything other than a Mustang.  My 22 year old son scoffs at the 4 cylinders even though they offer a lot of bang for the buck. 

Oh I agree the v8 is more desirable but it’s really stupid to ridicule a Mustang with 315 hp and until last year was offered with a manual and gets 24 mpg combined and 31 highway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It's not just faster than a 98 mustang gt, the s650 Ecoboost was pegged with a 0-60 time of about 4.5 seconds. That means it's about as fast as a s550 gt with a manual. 

The V8 has some advantages, it's more reliable of course, it's easier to tune and make big numbers with, and it fits the muscle car personality more than the ecoboost. But the days of the base sub V8 mustangs being slow or bad cars are well behind us. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

Not as stupid as comparing a 2024 Mustang with a '98 V8 Cobra.    

I'm fairly certain he's just trying to illustrate how far car performance has come. All the balding guys with their beer guts and 60s Shelby mustangs would get absolutely demolished by a 20 yr old driving a base ecoboost. So yeah, we need to put the V8 guys in their place a little bit when it comes to the newer mustangs. 

My dislike of the ecoboost Mustang has nothing to do with acceleration.   They can even be tuned to run as fast or faster than a stock GT.   As others have said, it is the sound, reputation, and heritage that is lacking.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm fairly certain he's just trying to illustrate how far car performance has come. All the balding guys with their beer guts and 60s Shelby mustangs would get absolutely demolished by a 20 yr old driving a base ecoboost. So yeah, we need to put the V8 guys in their place a little bit when it comes to the newer mustangs. 

Yeah, I have known akirby since the Lincoln LS days so being called stupid by him is an honor.   Lol

Edited by brucelinc

If a base engine is necessary in the Mustang for CAFE reasons, I think the 2.7 eco would have been great.   It is smoother than the 4, sounds better and can get excellent mileage with appropriate gearing.   

13 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

My dislike of the ecoboost Mustang has nothing to do with acceleration. 

Same here.  People forget that even during muscle car era, many similar vehicles were sold without the “muscle”.  Obviously some guys could not get enough horsepower, but majority of buyers settled for enough power to be fun, and for some, that doesn’t take much.  The idea that most buyers want a 14-second car seems flawed to me.  For every 428 CobraJet or 429 Boss sold, there were tons of sixes and 302s.  I know times and cars have changed, just saying it’s not always about maximum speed.

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

Yeah, I have known akirby since the Lincoln LS days so being called stupid by him is an honor.   Lol

RTFM!

Just to clarify the part I was calling stupid was the ridiculing, not your personal preferences.  I agree the V8 is better but that doesn’t mean the ecoboost is bad.  And the point of comparing the cobra is that the base ecoboost is better than the top mustang V8 just a couple of decades ago.  Sound isn’t everything and the original Mustang was far from a barn burner in 1964.  So I respectfully disagree that the ecoboost is somehow a crime against history.

• Like 2

But surely the Ecoboost isn't competitive in motorsports?

Actually in amateur motorsports like autocross, track days, etc. the Ecoboost slots into a "slower" class so it's just as competitive, and for track days nobody's racing anyway. The Ecoboost driver saves $10-20K in initial purchase price, needs a third less gas to get to the track, work, etc.. and the lighter "less" powerful Ecoboost is easier on tires. Throw in the Ecoboost's trailer towing ability and Ford's willingness to warranty it as long as you keep the engine stock and it's a worthy competitor for the Miata, Toyburu "twins", and GTI!

5 hours ago, akirby said:

RTFM!

Just to clarify the part I was calling stupid was the ridiculing, not your personal preferences.  I agree the V8 is better but that doesn’t mean the ecoboost is bad.  And the point of comparing the cobra is that the base ecoboost is better than the top mustang V8 just a couple of decades ago.  Sound isn’t everything and the original Mustang was far from a barn burner in 1964.  So I respectfully disagree that the ecoboost is somehow a crime against history.

I have a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang with the Performance Package.  After 6 years, I still enjoy driving it.  It doesn’t sound as good as a Coyote, but that’s okay.  It makes a great daily driver.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brucelinc said:

If a base engine is necessary in the Mustang for CAFE reasons, I think the 2.7 eco would have been great.   It is smoother than the 4, sounds better and can get excellent mileage with appropriate gearing.   

Speaking of sound, the biggest thing I disliked about my Gen2 raptor was its sound. The truck was really good in every way except for that. Now with my Gen3 with the same motor, I can’t say that anymore.  Don’t misunderstand, I would much prefer to have a raptor R for the power and sound, but at that price point it probably isn’t happening anytime soon. I would dare to say that Ford has managed to make the V6 sound good, and I’m more than content with the base motor.  

Based on my experience with the Gen3, I imagine they probably could find a way to make the four-cylinder sound significantly better if they wanted to. 

Hey if sound is the issue folks can always do what I did to my bicycle when I was growing up. Get a baseball card and attach it with a clothespin so that it stick in the spokes when you're riding. If that isn't good enough you can always stick your tongue through your lips and make raspberry sounds. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I have a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang with the Performance Package.  After 6 years, I still enjoy driving it.  It doesn’t sound as good as a Coyote, but that’s okay.  It makes a great daily driver.  

Yeah, I sometimes forget that some folks use their Mustangs as a daily driver.   Here in the upper midwest, it seems like everyone's daily is a truck.   If they have a Mustang, it is more of a toy.

I can see where an S550 or S650 Mustang would make a fine daily.   I was very impressed with the comfort and refinement of mine.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, brucelinc said:

ecoboost v6 would probably start to create an issue with it being faster than the v8, especially in a light car where the tune can be a little happier. The 4 banger has more hp than the gt did until the coyote debuted, I think it's fine for the base model.

I was very fortunate to have, because of my position as Advertising Manager and managing the new vehicle inventory for nearly 35 years, the ability to drive whatever vehicle I chose as a company "Demo" with few exceptions. I drove Thunderbirds for years, since we were one of the top 10 Thunderbird dealerships known as "Birdland". I then drove a Probe GT and then a few Taurus models until going back to a Mustang for about 20 years until I left the dealership. During that time, I drove mostly Mustang GT's but also drove every Mustang model available based on what was available in stock. At our dealership, Demo's were driven until they were sold. Since I managed the new vehicle inventory, it wasn't difficult to make sure that there was a potential "back up" Demo in stock. Even so, there were times when we'd sell my Demo and other Mustangs in stock in a short period of time and my choices for a new Demo were limited.

As such, over the years I drove every Mustang model including coupe/fastback, convertibles, automatics, manuals, all powertrains, base and premium, etc. No doubt, driving a Mustang GT was very enjoyable, but there was a point that my GT Demo was sold, and I had no choice but to drive a Mustang EcoBoost which was equipped with the #101A Equipment Group, 10-Speed Automatic, Enhanced Security Package, Safe & Smart Package and Navigation System. I ended up going back and forth between EcoBoost and GT models for a few years but just couldn't help but be impressed with the Mustang EcoBoost models overall. The EcoBoost performance was better than that of GT's from years ago and the GT pricing by comparison made it harder to justify driving a GT. Simply put, the Mustang EcoBoost models are a great value at a much more reasonable price compared to a GT. The Mustang GT pricing keeps rising a lot, and will go a lot higher, limiting its potential customer base in the North American market. And going forward, Ford will price the Mustang GT's as high as they can... for all the market will bear.    

• Like 4

this GT was sold , to a 21 year old kid at approx 5.30 pm, gave him the keys, put my hand on his shoulder and told him to be careful, that thecar has just under 500 horse and can be scary in naive hands....this was less than 5 hours later...BEFORE the rains....

5 hours later.jpg

• Angry 3
  • Sad 1

Hope the driver and anyone else involved in the crash survived. Saw similar carnage from young drivers in new muscle cars back in the 60s, apparently the addition of better tires, disc brakes, ABS, Stability Control, 3 point seat belts, and finally airbags hasn't stopped the stupid from doing stupid stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

this GT was sold , to a 21 year old kid at approx 5.30 pm, gave him the keys, put my hand on his shoulder and told him to be careful, that thecar has just under 500 horse and can be scary in naive hands....this was less than 5 hours later...BEFORE the rains....

Hope the kid & his family don't "lawyer up", and drag you and the dealership into court,,,,,,,

HRG

5 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Hope the kid & his family don't "lawyer up", and drag you and the dealership into court,,,,,,,

HRG

What would the basis of this lawsuit be?