OAC DOWN TIL 2027 MODEL YEAR

Oac98
Go to solution Solved by mackinaw,

We see this coming. It made a lot of sense considering that you didn’t have any news from Ford.

I haven’t been here for that long but with the latest news (Nautilus from china, Aviator loosing PHEV, etc.), Borg has been right 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

We see this coming. It made a lot of sense considering that you didn’t have any news from Ford.

I haven’t been here for that long but with the latest news (Nautilus from china, Aviator loosing PHEV, etc.), Borg has been right 

He is right most of the time.  Just wait until he’s wrong and watch the toddler throw a hissy fit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

We sure did see it coming, still frustrating as hell for everyone at the plant.

Just now, Andrew L said:

I guess I misread a while ago, but I thought the Nautilus Hybrid was supposed to be built in Oakville while the gas model was China but both versions are China 100%.  

Yup you misread that bigtime.

I guess this means the model that we've seen covered in the spyshots (the 3 row vehicle) that has gotten woeful feedback in consumer clinics has been consigned to the scrapheap, and Ford is doing a full on redesign/greensheet with lessons being learned from the skunkworks project currently underway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

I guess this means the model that we've seen covered in the spyshots (the 3 row vehicle) that has gotten woeful feedback in consumer clinics has been consigned to the scrapheap, and Ford is doing a full on redesign/greensheet with lessons being learned from the skunkworks project currently underway.

Nah I wouldn't go that far, maybe a restyling or other improvements. The Skunkworks was about making an more affordable EV that would be around Escape sized. 

44 minutes ago, Oac98 said:

According to Ford it’s about improving battery tech. I also hope it’s to improve the looks of  that what appears to be a giant Prius under the tarp we all seen.

But didn’t they say that the 2nd gen EVs have great battery tech, were profitable, etc., etc.? 
From what they said on the article it seems the reality is other

It is possible they decide to bring back Nautilus and design a new C2 edge for Oakville.  They could even move Corsair and Escape if they need space in Louisville for the new cheap EVs.  They can still use the Canadian batteries for hybrids.

I just don’t see the 3 row EVs fitting into Ford’s future plans at this point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oac98 said:

According to Ford it’s about improving battery tech. I also hope it’s to improve the looks of  that what appears to be a giant Prius under the tarp we all seen.

At this point, they'd be fools to keep the polarizing styling if they just delayed their product by three or more years. Sure, that design might have given buyers another 20 miles of range, but as other posters have said, kia's boxy EV three row has a very low drag coefficient. So you can have a good looking design and areo efficiency all in one. Ford just has to get more creative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Incompetence, incompetence, incompetence.  Ford and gm got it so wrong.  Why are we to believe them about 2027?

They got it wrong, but show me a global long standing company that's never gotten it wrong. The story here shouldn't be they got it wrong, it should be they realized they got it wrong, and were open minded enough to adapt. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

It is possible they decide to bring back Nautilus and design a new C2 edge for Oakville.  They could even move Corsair and Escape if they need space in Louisville for the new cheap EVs.  They can still use the Canadian batteries for hybrids.

That would be great. Shouldn’t take a huge amount of design work for a C2 Edge given the new Nautilus and the Chinese Edge. Mainly a new top hat. And produce a C2 Fusion at Flat Rock rather than just continue to leave it idle. 

• Like 1

• Solution

For the guys who work at OAC, this is from the Detroit News:

"As a result, launch of the vehicles at Oakville Assembly Plant will begin in 2027 instead of the previously expected 2025.  Retooling of the plant from from the gas-powered Edge crossover still is expected to begin in the second quarter. Some skilled trades workers will maintain their position through the updates, but most of the 2,700 employees at the plant will be on layoff until production resume again. The company says it will work with Canadian labor union Unifor to mitigate the effect of the delay on workers."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2024/04/04/ford-delays-ev-launches-hybrid-lineup-2030/73201263007/

3 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

"As a result, launch of the vehicles at Oakville Assembly Plant will begin in 2027 instead of the previously expected 2025.  Retooling of the plant from from the gas-powered Edge crossover still is expected to begin in the second quarter. Some skilled trades workers will maintain their position through the updates, but most of the 2,700 employees at the plant will be on layoff until production resume again. The company says it will work with Canadian labor union Unifor to mitigate the effect of the delay on workers."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2024/04/04/ford-delays-ev-launches-hybrid-lineup-2030/73201263007/

The Union will have to negotiate something. Workers with 20+ years will mostly be fine as they have 102 weeks of income protection via SUB. I have 9 years, so I have 64 credits.

5 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Basically the same information as the paper we got from Ford directly. This crappy news is all over the place now. 

12 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

They got it wrong, but show me a global long standing company that's never gotten it wrong. The story here shouldn't be they got it wrong, it should be they realized they got it wrong, and were open minded enough to adapt. 

It seems gm and Ford get things wrong more than others.  I do not see them as adapting with this move- it is simply kicking the can down the road while abandoning yet more market segments and ceding yet more market share.  

23 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Why are we to believe them about 2027?

For what it's worth, we're still building the body assembly systems with a slight delay, and then everything's going into storage. This isn't like cancelling San Luis Potosi where we quickly repurposed everything to other programs. We're still working on this a a freeze, not a cancellation. For now, anyway.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, akirby said:

But how would that affect the benefits they've gotten from the Canadian government? 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

But how would that affect the benefits they've gotten from the Canadian government? 

The battery plant would supply hybrid batteries.  Whether that technically violates the agreement or not I don’t know.  That’s one of the big issues they have to work out if they’re considering that option.