Mustang Looking Like Old Gray Mare

robertlane

The latest version of Ford's iconic Mustang is appears to be growing old, and back-to-back monthly sales declines to start 2007 have the struggling company a little worried.

The new Mustang, which made its debut in the fall of 2004, has been a bright spot for Ford at a time when bright spots have been few.

So when Mustang sales dropped by 19 percent in January and February compared with the same months in 2006, company officials became a little concerned. MORE.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As dead as the coupe market currently is, the Mustang hitting 160,000 two years straight was already a mother of an achievement. What Ford really needs to do is find more ways to sell 'em UNDER 30 grand, as the specialty stuff looks like it's pegged around $35K.

As dead as the coupe market currently is, the Mustang hitting 160,000 two years straight was already a mother of an achievement. What Ford really needs to do is find more ways to sell 'em UNDER 30 grand, as the specialty stuff looks like it's pegged around $35K.

definitely makes sense....but lets send questionairres about rear cameras and heated windsheild washers to potential customers which ultimately will add to the price anyway......

Start flaming me now everyone.

I've owned 5 new Mustangs and have no plans to buy the current model. I know I'm in the minority bur if I wanted a car that looked like a '69 Mustang I'd just buy a '69. I like retro cues but not an all out retro rip off. Even though the interior sucked I think the '99-04's were better looking than the current model. The Mustang needs to move on. Flame on!

and make a 4 dr variant (called Comet, Pinto, whatever) to offset costs.

It could be too soon, however, to write of Ford's Mustang, Pipas said.

"Two months is hardly a litmus test for the entire year, particularly when the two months aren't big sales months for anything, let alone two-door sports coupes," he said.

"We have other things up our sleeve that we can't talk about that you'll see midyear," said Hall.
"There will be another Mustang before too long," he said. "This is a product where you like to redesign the product and give these loyal buyers something to look at every four years or so, give or take."

I think these three quotes sum it up nicely.

IMHO, they should consider a 2dr aerodynamic "shooting brake" mini-wagon. A 2dr Dodge mini-Magnum, in effect.

80% of the time there's just me in the sled. 15% of the time, there's 2 abord, and 5% of the time, there's 3. Point is, I don't need 4 doors.

As it stands, I see a Volvo C30 sometime in the near future, but I think the Mustang equivalent would be way cool. They could even reprise the late 60's Ford J-car, aka "the Bread Van". Just kidding.

I'm curious as to how some people feel about this.

Those people would be the ones that were crying for Ford to reconfigure plants so they could make 500,000 a year of these.

Ford lost out in 2004/2005 when it couldn't keep up with the demand for the GT version. As a result dealerships in my area had $8,000 markups. They eventually dropped to $5,000 6-months in and dropped to $2,500 by the time the 2006 models started rolling in.

I have owned three Mustangs and have had at least one in my drive way since February 1989. Just recently, the dealership I bought a 2003 Centennial Convertible called recently and asked about trading it in for a new Mustang. I told the guy that I tried to work a deal with him last summer - even offering to pay full sticker for a 2006 Mustang GT convertible. But they rejected the offer stating that market conditions and limited supply dictated that they sell the car at a higher price.

I told him no one waits. I traded that Mustang last summer. It will be the last Mustang I own.

Ford lost out in 2004/2005 when it couldn't keep up with the demand for the GT version. As a result dealerships in my area had $8,000 markups. They eventually dropped to $5,000 6-months in and dropped to $2,500 by the time the 2006 models started rolling in.

I have owned three Mustangs and have had at least one in my drive way since February 1989. Just recently, the dealership I bought a 2003 Centennial Convertible called recently and asked about trading it in for a new Mustang. I told the guy that I tried to work a deal with him last summer - even offering to pay full sticker for a 2006 Mustang GT convertible. But they rejected the offer stating that market conditions and limited supply dictated that they sell the car at a higher price.

I told him no one waits. I traded that Mustang last summer. It will be the last Mustang I own.

yeah. So 18 months of high demand warrants billions in retooling other plants?

At least with high demand they can sell most of them without any cash on the hood.

Unless that of course is what you want because they'd have 2 Mustang plants to address the demand of one 18 month window. And those guys would all be in Gen waiting for demand to come back

The tapering off of Mustang sales is a predictable event. Sporty cars have a limited shelf life. There is a tremendous surge in demand for the first year as the people that buy these things based on emotion rather than rationality get theirs. Then, sales taper off once everyone that had to have one buys one.

I think this bodes even worse for the pony car market once the also-retro Camaro and Challenger arrive. Are there nearly enough consumers to buy these three vehicles when they're on the market together? Isn't that what drove out the other pony cars in the past to begin with? I bet the Mustang survives another round against its foes, but we all know the days of 500K sales for any of these RWD muscle coupes is long over. I think the sport sedan market is where it's at now.

I think this bodes even worse for the pony car market once the also-retro Camaro and Challenger arrive. Are there nearly enough consumers to buy these three vehicles when they're on the market together? Isn't that what drove out the other pony cars in the past to begin with? I bet the Mustang survives another round against its foes, but we all know the days of 500K sales for any of these RWD muscle coupes is long over. I think the sport sedan market is where it's at now.

Hence the need for a hi-po Fusion coupe

Start flaming me now everyone.

I've owned 5 new Mustangs and have no plans to buy the current model. I know I'm in the minority bur if I wanted a car that looked like a '69 Mustang I'd just buy a '69. I like retro cues but not an all out retro rip off. Even though the interior sucked I think the '99-04's were better looking than the current model. The Mustang needs to move on. Flame on!

Alright (rolls up sleeves): First of all, re. "moving on" - The Probe was slated to be Mustang "moving on". The Mustang II "moved on". Be careful what you wish for.

2nd of all, while I have no problem at all with the previous generation Mustang, and think it was a great car, the current Mustang is - as your post seems to acknowledge - almost universally loved. My 18 year old son loves it, my 73 year old mother loves it (she actually remarked on it without prompting - we were just out to lunch or something, not even talking about cars, let alone the Mustang, when she mentioned that she would like to buy one. Without my prompting. She just noticed it herself. My 73 year old mother. Ponder this for a moment.) I love it. When you get something that spans generations and nationalities the way the current Mustang does, you are on the right track - whether every single last person agrees or not. But, I mean, enjoy your minority position. Nothing wrong with marching to a different drummer.

p.s. Emoticon man,

We have the fire extinguisher emoticon. How about a flame-thrower emoticon? Just a request.

p.p.s. The article is rubbish. Pure hysterical sensationalism. If I want to hear how an asteroid, or a "super-volcano", or a gigantic solar flare is going to wipe out Earth, I have cable TV.

Edited by retro-man

Here's my problem with the mustang...

Why would I spend 30 grand on a heavy 2 door with only 300 horsepower? Or the base model. 210 horsepower? Are you kidding me?!

I think the mustang in its current form looks absolutly great, but its a disappointment once you're behind the wheel. Hard crappy plastic everywhere, even on a premium model, uncomfortable seating postion, and on paper, its not that competitive. I'd much rather go for the RX-8 nicer interior, more hp than a v6 mustang, IRS, and is cheaper. Plus, the looks are to die for!

The mustang just looks, to me at least, rather cheap despite its good looks. Especially after driving one for awhile. I don't get why FOrd didn't invest more money into the interior and engines. Sure, 300 hp is a nice boost from 260 the previous generation, but when you have an INfiniti G35 coupe with 306 out of a v6 and only costing slightly more than a loaded v8, which one would you choose? Personally, i'd take the infiniti because the coupe is very nice looking and has that quality look and feel to it that the mustang just can't muster up.

in the meantime, i'll stick to my Marauder and RX-8...

Lets face it... The days of 400,000 cars a year for a Mustang are gone. The Mustang currently sells at a respectable rate that some oridinary cars currently on the market can only dream of selling in the same numbers. I would not worry about a slight drop in sales. This is just drama and sensationalism for bored automotive jouranlists. I have seen various Ford models in the past dip temporarily then rebound tremendously a year or two later, especially after a restyling or new model added. When spring comes, convertible sales will also take off again. I don't believe the Mustang has anything to worry about.

As far as the retro-rip-off comment... I love the fact that the new Mustang resembles the old Mustangs with some modern surfacing. What it proves to me is Ford got it right the first time designing a vehicle that looks good decades later when most vehicles from that era look old and very dated. Most of it has to do with the clean uncomplicated lines. There are some advantages to having a new Mustang vs the old one. No matter how well you restore an old one it won't have the updated comforts and refinements that make newer cars better to live with everyday. Some people forget that build quality, ride and handling quality, and body rattles are evident once a person stop romanticising how wonderful the original examples look. So it's nice to relive Mustang mania and enjoy it even more refined than it's predesessor.

I think the current Mustang is beautitful to look at. My only wish is to reduce the apparent visual front end height of the headlamps and grille, eleminate the enourmous front bumper shelf , correct the starkly detailed rubbermaid door panels, console and horrendous uncomfortable to use Atari joystick automatic shifter lever. Get a splash of color on some quality fabrics for the base seats and door panels (like the Euro Focus RS). The Guigiaro concept is a step in the right direction for the Mustang to evolve. Make the interior as good and pleasing as a VW GTI and I will be happy.

Edited by Watchdevil

2nd of all, while I have no problem at all with the previous generation Mustang, and think it was a great car, the current Mustang is - as your post seems to acknowledge - almost universally loved.

I have no real problem with the styling of the 1994-2004 models either. They still look great and I am seeing a lot of people take care of them or young kids restoring them to absolute beauty. What really looks good is putting the Bullit-style torque thrust wheels on those generation models. If there was no new Mustang I would be happy to own the previous generation again.

I love the variations of style over the years and everyone always has a preference or favorite. I feel the same way about Thunderbirds. There are several different years that I love and it is because they are all different and unique.

Everyone knows I am a Thunderbird freak too. A couple weeks ago I found a bright red 1997 Tbird with a V8, perfect interior and very low miles. It was immaculate and I was in no position to buy it paying cash which made me absolutely sick. Just my luck when I am not looking and cannot take advantage of a situation, I find something worth having.

Why would I spend 30 grand on a heavy 2 door with only 300 horsepower? Or the base model. 210 horsepower? Are you kidding me?!

I think the Mustang in its current form looks absolutly great, but its a disappointment once you're behind the wheel. Hard crappy plastic everywhere, even on a premium model, uncomfortable seating postion, and on paper, its not that competitive. I'd much rather go for the RX-8 nicer interior, more hp than a v6 mustang, IRS, and is cheaper. Plus, the looks are to die for!

The Mustang just looks, to me at least, rather cheap despite its good looks. Especially after driving one for awhile. I don't get why FOrd didn't invest more money into the interior and engines. Sure, 300 hp is a nice boost from 260 the previous generation, but when you have an INfiniti G35 coupe with 306 out of a v6 and only costing slightly more than a loaded v8, which one would you choose? Personally, i'd take the infiniti because the coupe is very nice looking and has that quality look and feel to it that the mustang just can't muster up.

I'll have to agree. Even comparing a VW GTI to any Mustang, the GTI is better quality. I did drive a few examples of the new generation Mustang. The interior quality is chintz. The steering wheel feels and looks like they recycled the rim from a 1979 model. The automatic shifter has the worst look and tactile feel not unlike a 1980's video arcade game joystick (when the Fusion has a wonderful auto-shifter). The Mustang still feels, sounds and manuvers somewhat like an old classic model. The Mustang is very awkward and heavy to manuver compared to the GTI and (gasp) my Cavalier. The only thing leaning me to a Mustang is loyalty. But that means PUTTING UP WITH some difficiencies in refinement and material qualities like we always have. Why should anyone have to do this just to have an iconic vehicle they have always loved? Does Ford understand that I am on the fence about to be swayed away from the brand? They won me back in 1994 bring the right Mustang back after loosing me for many years because I just did not like the 1979-93 Fox body....

Well one thing for sure. The Mustang isn't going to win over a lot of technologically savy and sophisticated young professionals that feel more comfortable in a Lexus or Infiniti and demand top quality and service... Which is why instead of Ford figuring a way to put topped out uncharacteristic luxury options in the Mustang, perhaps they need to develop a derivative car such as a Lincoln or Thunderbird with unique styling with all the luxo-gizmo sophistication and image, especially since they are now suggesting that a retractable hardtop will be added. Now the cost will be in outgoing Thunderbird territory. I resent that Ford set up the 52 year old Thunderbird nameplate to die a sudden death construed as a failure without a planned repleacement. The Thunderbird was traditionally a cameleon car that was always popular because it changed forms to meet customer tastes and demands.

The Import market is bringing in a rash of new more rakish coupes aimed at young professionals... The Opel CTC was revealed and will possibly be offered as a Saturn model. There are also new Accord and Altima coupes on the way which will supplement existing import luxury coupes as slightly more affordable alternatives. There is also the stunning new Audi R5 coupe. People are tired of trucks, SUV's and ordinary look alike sedans. People want to make a more personal statement as they move away from hulking gas guzzling SUV's.

I noticed an RX-8 on the road the other day. I can understand why the young professional looking male chose it.. Quad doors and all.

Edited by Watchdevil

I think the mustang in its current form looks absolutly great, but its a disappointment once you're behind the wheel. Hard crappy plastic everywhere, even on a premium model, uncomfortable seating postion, and on paper, its not that competitive. I'd much rather go for the RX-8 nicer interior, more hp than a v6 mustang, IRS, and is cheaper. Plus, the looks are to die for!

The mustang just looks, to me at least, rather cheap despite its good looks. Especially after driving one for awhile. I don't get why FOrd didn't invest more money into the interior and engines. Sure, 300 hp is a nice boost from 260 the previous generation, but when you have an INfiniti G35 coupe with 306 out of a v6 and only costing slightly more than a loaded v8, which one would you choose? Personally, i'd take the infiniti because the coupe is very nice looking and has that quality look and feel to it that the mustang just can't muster up.

I'll add in my comments here:

I had a 98 Mustang GT, an 02 SVT Focus, and now a 06 Mustang GT as background...

As for it being Heavy, its within a 100-150 lbs of the 350Z and G35

I don't get how you can compare the RX-8 to a base model V6 Mustang, when the V6 stang starts at 20K and the RX8 starts at nearly 6-8K more

Talking about interiors...my friend had a G35 coupe and the seats where great on with really nice leather, but a big WTF on the dash...why did they PAINT the center stack silver? I though that cheap looking and kind of nasty to be found on a car like that.

Yet again the pricing thing again...a Loaded GT is about 30K (starts at 25-26K IIRC) a G35 Starts at 34K and if you load it up, goes to nearly 40K for many of the same options you can get on that loaded GT...thats a huge difference in price.

As for the interior...I'll agree with the Materials thing for the most part, but I do like the overall design of it, but it would have been nicer to have higher quaitly plastics in it...I find the drivers seat to fit me with no problems and I'm 6'2