Tepid Flex Sales Foster Marketing Skeptics

ANTAUS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a good article, especially since it treats marketing as the issue rather than the product as is often the case with bad auto journalists.

The Flex is an ambiguous product for most people and that may be the problem with the advertising, but I like the direction Farley/Ford has taken with the ad campaign for precisely the reason Ford is stating, they want to appeal to more than just the minivan crowd. The primary reason for the Flex sales is probably tied to price and the economy right now, once you add incentives and people see more of them on the road, then volume starts moving. It might be a vehicle with a difficult entry point for many customers who don't know what to make of something so unconventional, even though they may like it much better than the minivan.

You certainly could start a new ad campaign which specifically targets the frumpy soccer mom alternatives, sorta like the Nissan Altima with it's very successful "Cure for the average Sedan" campaign.

While the advertising has been aimed at the "non-traditional" Ford buyer, the buyers so far seem to be very traditional. I stopped a couple in a silver Fex in the parking lot of a Chinese restaurant to ask their opinion of their new car (I know, a very biased opinion). They admitted that they were retired and lived in the suburbs (so much for the young, urban crowd) but they loved it. They praised its luxury and size for "hauling grandkids", and exclaimed it got a solid 24 mpg "driving up north last weekend".

I agree with Farley's direction. Ford needs to do something to show the rest of the world, "We are not your grandfather's Ford Motor Company " (to steal someone else's slogan !)

Having said all that, the Flex is still not "my cup of tea". Too big, too boxy, too heavy and too expensive. Reminds me of the MN12 (except of course for the boxy), but uglier !

Edited by theoldwizard

too expensive.

Um compared to what? Maybe Ford should Focus on pricing too since there seems to be preconcevied notions that the car is too expesive comparied to what else on the market it competes with!

Guess you missed this part too:

And the Flex is also bringing in more affluent customers. The average transaction price is in the high $30,000s, and 46 percent of buyers are opting for the more expensive "limited" trim line. That is twice what Ford expected.
Edited by silvrsvt

I prefer marketing that tells me something about the vehicle. Seeing it whirl around on a screen with hip hop music doesn't cut it for most. I've had a few people already ask me "What is a Ford Flex, I saw one but I dont know what it's supposed to be"...So I gotta start with the basics...how many people it seats, drivetrain, AWD, blah blah.

You what what would fix the Flex? Sliders on the back. I know that Ford was trying to go anti-minivan with the Flex, but if it had sliders I think it would be cross shopped by more people looking for a people mover. They can let the next gen Explorer fill in the gap as a more conventional CUV.

Wrong answer, over 70% of people who cliniced the vechicle during development WOULD NOT BUY it with sliders.

Sliders are over rated by many people on here, I don't see the fact that an SUV didn't have them hurt them in sales at all in their hayday and my sister gets long fine with her Explorer with 2 kids under 5 years old in the back.

People also complained about the Edge ads at first. But these two campaigns have created a more upscale and trendy image for the Edge and Flex, granted the product supports that image also.

But I agree with the statement that as more get on the road they will then lead to more sales, vs. the day one high sales with steep drop off. Sort of like a Pink Floyd album versus a Brittany Spears album.

I prefer marketing that tells me something about the vehicle. Seeing it whirl around on a screen with hip hop music doesn't cut it for most. I've had a few people already ask me "What is a Ford Flex, I saw one but I dont know what it's supposed to be"...So I gotta start with the basics...how many people it seats, drivetrain, AWD, blah blah.

Agree. Show some actual features of the vehicle. Show it in a real life scenario so people can get a feel for its actual size. Letting it blaze around in a computer-animated landscape does nothing for it at all. I like the rolling views of the interior they are showing, but it needs more than that.

And they need to push the fuel economy more!!! I don't know how many ads I've seen lately from other automakers that are touting fuel economy of crossovers that are LOWER than the Flex's. If Hyundai can call the Santa Fe "fuel efficient" in its ads saying it gets 24 mpg highway, then dammit Ford, do the same. Heck, I saw a Scion xB ad the other day. I couldn't believe they were bragging about 28 mpg highway. That's freaking awful for a car that small.

Agree. Show some actual features of the vehicle. Show it in a real life scenario so people can get a feel for its actual size. Letting it blaze around in a computer-animated landscape does nothing for it at all. I like the rolling views of the interior they are showing, but it needs more than that.

And they need to push the fuel economy more!!! I don't know how many ads I've seen lately from other automakers that are touting fuel economy of crossovers that are LOWER than the Flex's. If Hyundai can call the Santa Fe "fuel efficient" in its ads saying it gets 24 mpg highway, then dammit Ford, do the same. Heck, I saw a Scion xB ad the other day. I couldn't believe they were bragging about 28 mpg highway. That's freaking awful for a car that small.

Every Flex ad I've seen the last month touts 24 mpg.

Every Flex ad I've seen the last month touts 24 mpg.

They mention it in passing. They don't shout it from the rooftops like they should. Combined with the lack of anything to relate how large it is, what good does stating the fuel economy do? In the ads, there's no way of knowing it's a large minivan-sized vehicle. It could be the size of an Escape for all the audience knows. Demonstrate its size, push how good that fuel economy is for that size. Then you have something.

Edited by NickF1011

too expensive.

Um compared to what? Maybe Ford should Focus on pricing too since there seems to be preconcevied notions that the car is too expesive comparied to what else on the market it competes with!

You have a point ! Certainly too expensive for me and too expensive for former Windstar/Freestar drivers and most urban drivers (unless you are a rap star). I guess I was trying to say that at that price point, the pool of potential customers is smaller. Just as the pool of potential customers who need an 8 passenger vehicle is much smaller than those who need say a 6 passenger vehicle.

Guess you missed this part too:

And the Flex is also bringing in more affluent customers. The average transaction price is in the high $30,000s, and 46 percent of buyers are opting for the more expensive "limited" trim line. That is twice what Ford expected.

That is great ! Only time will tell if it is sustainable. Let's hope it is not a Jaguar S type ! (Great sales in the US the first year and then ...)

I predict big rebates/discounts on Flex come spring.

It will be interesting to see how the MKT does.

Edited by theoldwizard

I think the fact that the Flex was intended as a 'reach' vehicle dooms its ability to sell in a market this conservative.

A few years ago, I think you'd get a lot more import owners willing to take a 'risk' on a Ford product.

That said, 10% of the trade-ins are Odysseys and Siennas? Not bad.

The challenge, IMO, will be to resist the urge to turn the Flex into something it isn't, in order to try and solve problems that extend far beyond the Flex itself (consumer conservatism/economic malaise)

They mention it in passing. They don't shout it from the rooftops like they should. Combined with the lack of anything to relate how large it is, what good does stating the fuel economy do? In the ads, there's no way of knowing it's a large minivan-sized vehicle. It could be the size of an Escape for all the audience knows. Demonstrate its size, push how good that fuel economy is for that size. Then you have something.

I could be wrong - or maybe it's a newer commercial - but I think it said "7 passenger crossover that gets 24 mpg". That says it all for me.

You have a point ! Certainly too expensive for me and too expensive for former Windstar/Freestar drivers and most urban drivers (unless you are a rap star). I guess I was trying to say that at that price point, the pool of potential customers is smaller. Just as the pool of potential customers who need an 8 passenger vehicle is much smaller than those who need say a 6 passenger vehicle.

That is great ! Only time will tell if it is sustainable. Let's hope it is not a Jaguar S type ! (Great sales in the US the first year and then ...)

I predict big rebates/discounts on Flex come spring.

It will be interesting to see how the MKT does.

got news for you Wiz, a Limited Freestar was ALSO knocking on the 40 k mark...WITHOUT an AWD model......horrid vehicle that one. The Flex raises a smile every time i drive one...a smaller Eco will help to a certain extent...but slower than predicted sales can be squarely blamed on the current economy climate...nothing more, nothing less.....( PS...I think it would help also to have a shorter wheelbase version, perhaps a 5 passenger....)

Edited by Deanh

I really like what VW is doing with the Routan. It goes after the key customer: families. The advertising is clear, and shows off the nice styling of the Routan, which is I think the best looking family hauler. I don't know why Ford needs to go with this whole pimp my ride, hip hop image. The Flex is a family wagon/minivan. It will never be 'cool'. It's a box on wheels, with a 3 bar grille which is now overdone by Ford. Lower the price, focus the advertising on families, and it will sell more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYpjdJDPgw...feature=related

Edited by smok

I really like what VW is doing with the Routan. It goes after the key customer: families. The advertising is clear, and shows off the nice styling of the Routan, which is I think the best looking family hauler. I don't know why Ford needs to go with this whole pimp my ride, hip hop image. The Flex is a family wagon/minivan. It will never be 'cool'. It's a box on wheels, with a 3 bar grille which is now overdone by Ford. Lower the price, focus the advertising on families, and it will sell more.

Routon= Chrysler with nicer headlamps....have you driven both? Flex is one hell of a lott "cooler" than that knockoff

LOL are you being serious? Even VW fans are quick to dismiss the Routan.....

I love the whole German engineering/design advertising bit, especially for a vehicle primarily designed in Auburn Hills and manufactured in Ontario.

And how has Ford gone with a pimp my ride, hip hop image? Because they decided to do something different? And the pricing, for the last time price out option for option on each competitor and the Flex comes in right where it should be.

LOL are you being serious? Even VW fans are quick to dismiss the Routan.....

I love the whole German engineering/design advertising bit, especially for a vehicle primarily designed in Auburn Hills and manufactured in Ontario.

And how has Ford gone with a pimp my ride, hip hop image? Because they decided to do something different? And the pricing, for the last time price out option for option on each competitor and the Flex comes in right where it should be.

I smell an IP investigation....this post has a certain P signature too it.....ie Flex hater, ok I can live w that....but Routan and "nice styling".....hmmmmmm......

I could be wrong - or maybe it's a newer commercial - but I think it said "7 passenger crossover that gets 24 mpg". That says it all for me.

Not really. The Rav4 is "7 passenger" also, but it's not nearly the size of the Flex. In comparison based solely on "7 passenger", the Rav4 trumps the Flex's fuel economy.

Not really. The Rav4 is "7 passenger" also, but it's not nearly the size of the Flex. In comparison based solely on "7 passenger", the Rav4 trumps the Flex's fuel economy.

Gas today has fallen to about $2.30/gallon in Metro Detroit. I don't think the Flex's fuel mileage matters much anymore. It's just getting ANYONE interested in buying new vehicle in this economic climate. In parts of Ohio, gas prices have fallen below $2/gallon already. Just think, you can get almost 10 gallons of gas for 20 bucks. Never thought I would say that day again. Now if only Americans would keep cutting back on driving and keep demand weak. Hopefully Congress will keep on top of CAFE standards and keep them strict. No going back to our wasteful ways.

Gas today has fallen to about $2.30/gallon in Metro Detroit. I don't think the Flex's fuel mileage matters much anymore. It's just getting ANYONE interested in buying new vehicle in this economic climate. In parts of Ohio, gas prices have fallen below $2/gallon already. Just think, you can get almost 10 gallons of gas for 20 bucks. Never thought I would say that day again. Now if only Americans would keep cutting back on driving and keep demand weak. Hopefully Congress will keep on top of CAFE standards and keep them strict. No going back to our wasteful ways.

Gas prices are falling as fast as they went up. But I don't see people going back to 12 MPG SUVs. There's a real move to energy independence, so we aren't subject to the whims of OPEC or speculators.....and it's good for the country.

IMHO the Flex ads should focus more on some of it's reviews.......there are plenty of great reviews out there, and being a new and polarizing design, it would help to know they are getting a QUALITY product, not an unknown in these uncomfortable times. To me the Flex has quality and comfort in spades! Notcie that new VW Rutan (or whatever) focuses on the (triple stitched leather!!!) interior quality that a new family aspires to, also notice the new Nissan ads that tout making a good decision for several years down the line.

The Flex should be sold as a rolling security blanket.