Fox News blogger takes pot shot at Ford

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read the comments..this yo-yo gets roasted....

It really doesn't matter..... You see this same thing in every home town paper that allows reader response. The whole country is so vitriolic about US Auto, it's a wonder anyone sells anything as it is. Everyone loves to tear everyone up, and all it does is drag everyone down. We need a way up and out.

It really doesn't matter..... You see this same thing in every home town paper that allows reader response. The whole country is so vitriolic about US Auto, it's a wonder anyone sells anything as it is. Everyone loves to tear everyone up, and all it does is drag everyone down. We need a way up and out.

American mindset...the only thing the public seems enthralled with is gossip and the potential catastrophic failure....I place some of the blame on "reality TV "....

Misery loves company....

Like my mom told another autoworker's wife, people can bad mouth the UAW all they want, but if and when (hope to God they don't) they go down EVERYONE ELSE will go down with them, schools, etc. People just plain do not get the fact that the Auto Industry is the backbone of just about everything. I hate the complaining people do about wages etc. It's beyond stupid. I've been looking at teacher salaries (they are a big anti UAW group) and they have no room to talk 9 months and $60,000 salary for barely a half a year?? :censored:

Like my mom told another autoworker's wife, people can bad mouth the UAW all they want, but if and when (hope to God they don't) they go down EVERYONE ELSE will go down with them, schools, etc. People just plain do not get the fact that the Auto Industry is the backbone of just about everything. I hate the complaining people do about wages etc. It's beyond stupid. I've been looking at teacher salaries (they are a big anti UAW group) and they have no room to talk 9 months and $60,000 salary for barely a half a year?? :censored:

$60,000 where are you? In Michigan most public knock down close to 80K plus benefits - that they don't have to pay for, still have defined benefit pension plans with medical at retirement plus can buy 5 years at the start, work 9 months out of the year, never have overtime and every holiday off.

Edited by jasonj80

I've been looking at teacher salaries (they are a big anti UAW group) and they have no room to talk 9 months and $60,000 salary for barely a half a year?? :censored:

Wow! Where are you located? Teachers here in central MO are doing good to pull down $30k...that's after 15 or so years of service! Teachers deserve more than that IMO!

Wow! Where are you located? Teachers here in central MO are doing good to pull down $30k...that's after 15 or so years of service! Teachers deserve more than that IMO!

Been a few years, but when my oldest brother was a teacher in MD (1997-2001) he was only making about $33K at a public high school as a science and math teacher. And frankly, anyone who thinks teachers only work "9 months a year" or that they "get to leave work at 3 pm" has never known a teacher very well.

FL is notorious for having low wages for teachers. Your lucky if you hit $40K with a Master and maybe 6 years into it. Granted, since we dont have personal state income taxes, the burden of funding schools are placed in property taxes. Hence, property taxes for non-homesteaded properties are rediculously high for those who recently bought. Luckily I'm in a county where we have highly rated schools, I dont mind it. I feel sorry for my friends in Miami paying $5-8K in property taxes and have nothing to show for it except a lowly rated school system. And in general, we have the highest drop out rate in the nation, I believe barely 60% of the kids graduate high school last I read.

Personally, if they don't wish to attend, they shouldn't...save ourselves from traffic and more costs from a failed system. Of course "No Child Left Behind" yet we have the highest drop-out rate, figure that one out LOL

My wife teachers AFJROTC and makes $47956 for a contract that covers 10 months. She works after school 3 days/week on weekend school events and color guard practice. She has two weeks off on the Holiday season and one week off that covers spring and fall breaks.

She has to grade papers two evenings/week at night and it takes about 1-2 hours.

Every three years she has to attend summer school for teaching recertification.

She has to maintain USAF weight and appearance standards.

She does draw a retirement from USAF for 24 years of active duty on top of the Indiana teacher wage.

Indiana Teacher Wage

AFJROTC Pay Information

A first year teacher makes $34306.

Edited by mettech

My ex is a teacher and the horror stories she had about kids showing up with $150 sneakers, $200 jackets, $50 baseball caps, iPods, cellphones, etc...yet didn't have a .02 cent pencil, or some paper is indicative of our society. Kids calling her names that would make a death row inmate blush. weapons in school, teen pregnancy rates off the charts, police patrols in the school halls....and you want to deride her for making a decent wage? And....she had to have a degree to boot??

Why don't you sign up there.....

Edited by twintornados

Teachers are the biggest UAW bashers? Seriously? Look how long it took this board to bash teachers. Trust me, we understand the bashing the UAW gets in the media. We get it too.

Most teachers do not make 80k a year in Michigan. In my Metro Detroit (the highest paid area in MI) district, I can top out at 80k a year with two master's degrees or a doctorate after 10 years of service.

Look at teaching this way -- I'm laid off for 3 months a year (which is time I spend developing professionally). Where can I find a job for the summer that I'm not over qualified for and that pays me for my qualifications? In what other industry does someone with 2 master's degrees or a doctorate only make 80k after 10 years? Engineering? Finance? Is 120k more appropriate? There you go, 3/4 a year pay for supposedly only 3/4 year work.

Edited by dante hicks

We've decided to change things up. Now we're going to overpay 7/11 clerks.

the uaw is a business that sells labor and it's costs are out of line. This isn't what the general public is saying, it's fact.

Is anyone out there saying ford couldn't get someone to glue molding on a car for $18.50 an hour?

Just because in the past the uaw was able to hold billion dollar hard to reproduce plants hostage until they got their way doesn't mean that "way" is a reality in the market.

Teachers are the biggest UAW bashers? Seriously? Look how long it took this board to bash teachers. Trust me, we understand the bashing the UAW gets in the media. We get it too.

Most teachers do not make 80k a year in Michigan. In my Metro Detroit (the highest paid area in MI) district, I can top out at 80k a year with two master's degrees or a doctorate after 10 years of service.

Look at teaching this way -- I'm laid off for 3 months a year (which is time many spend developing professionally). Where can I find a job for the summer that I'm not over qualified for and that pays me for my qualifications? In what other industry does someone with 2 master's degrees or a doctorate only make 80k after 10 years? Engineering? Finance? Is 120k more appropriate? There you go, 3/4 a year pay for supposedly only 3/4 year work.

Whoa, hold on there, let's not go overboard. Let's not even try to compare an English degree with a certificate in education to an engineering degree.

The degrees, like English and history, that a lot of teachers get are some of the easiest degrees to achieve at most colleges. Anyone who had any education majors as friends in college will back me on this.

Additionally, teachers trade some pay for quality of life. Anybody else still heading into work on that snow day? Anybody else still heading into work in July?

In no way am I saying teaching is an easy job or getting an english or history degree is simple but there doesn't seem to be an issue filling the positions.

Whoa, hold on there, let's not go overboard. Let's not even try to compare an English degree with a certificate in education to an engineering degree.

The degrees, like English and history, that a lot of teachers get are some of the easiest degrees to achieve at most colleges. Anyone who had any education majors as friends in college will back me on this.

Additionally, teachers trade some pay for quality of life. Anybody else still heading into work on that snow day? Anybody else still heading into work in July?

In no way am I saying teaching is an easy job or getting an english or history degree is simple but there doesn't seem to be an issue filling the positions.

Pay should be based on "skill" and "responsibility".

Who should be paid more/hr, a high school teacher or a UAW member? :shades:

The most in-demand teachers out there are math (by far) and science, and those degrees (bachelor's degrees in the subjects) are much harder to earn than English and history. However, the requirements for certification are becoming more stringent; at my alma mater, they've phased out many of the undergrad teaching tracks, making it so that you have to complete a master's in order to get licensed.

I know that in larger, denser cities, snow days pretty much don't exist. This is evident in that my wife grew up in New York City and rarely got a snow day. Even more evident in that while we live in Baltimore County, she teaches in Baltimore City, and it's always funny (but sad) that she has to drive to work when all the surrounding counties closed school.

And there are shortages for quality teachers absolutely everywhere. Filling the positions is easy, but retaining them is the most difficult.

And to whoever said it, teachers making $60,000 a year? Assuming these aren't 30-year-veteran teachers, what rich suburb do YOU live in? :glare:

Pay should be based on "skill" and "responsibility".

Pay should be based on market rates - period. If I'm starting a new company and I need employees, I have to pay more than the competition in order to get the best people. Or I can pay less and get less qualified employees.

The UAW's idea of fair pay and benefits has been inflated due to years of extortion tactics which were allowed by the D3 because they were making tons of money.

The gravy train is over and a market adjustment is past due.

Pay should be based on market rates - period. If I'm starting a new company and I need employees, I have to pay more than the competition in order to get the best people. Or I can pay less and get less qualified employees.

The UAW's idea of fair pay and benefits has been inflated due to years of extortion tactics which were allowed by the D3 because they were making tons of money.

The gravy train is over and a market adjustment is past due.

So I guess your ok with foreign companies setting the pay standards for American workers. If that is the case I don't want to hear you on hear whining when you have to take a pay cut. Everyone seems to always be jeolus when someone has something they don't. This country is going to shit and so many people are blinded by their own me me attitudes that they won't realize till smacks them square in the head, then they'll say how in the hell did we let this happen. So let's keep reducing the middle class wages till no one can afford anything sound like the perfect way to come out of this recession. :banghead:

So I guess your ok with foreign companies setting the pay standards for American workers. If that is the case I don't want to hear you on hear whining when you have to take a pay cut. Everyone seems to always be jeolus when someone has something they don't. This country is going to shit and so many people are blinded by their own me me attitudes that they won't realize till smacks them square in the head, then they'll say how in the hell did we let this happen. So let's keep reducing the middle class wages till no one can afford anything sound like the perfect way to come out of this recession. :banghead:

We have been in a race to the bottom since the early 80's and while it slowed down a little during the 90's but still continued, it really accelerated during the Bush era and got us to where we are today. WalMart, the symbol of this race to the bottom, just may be the only large retail store left standing after the dust clears. McDonald's in food and WalMart in retail. The Dollar Stores are "in" also as Americans are forced to care about only one thing....price. It has gotten to even where Healthcare, Education, and Government now has to lay off and reduce pay and benefits in order to survive as race to bottom keeps accelerating. Basically, most Americans have been reduced to shopping at WalMart, eating at McDonald's when they do eat out, and further counting their pennies in hopes of paying their mortgage and property taxes. It's not an accident that WalMart and McDonald's are on a very short list of companies whose stock price is actually up in last year. Meanwhile, the race to bottom continues.

Maybe this bridge loan is a good sign in that the White House has finally acknowledged that American manufacturing is finally important and worth saving. That there just may be something to good paying jobs in America and those who work in the manufacturing industry actually do make something and make America stronger and more importantly are essential to a strong America for so many reasons. Maybe the tide has finally been turned and new White House will not be enemy of labor, but be an ally and try to rebuild our manufacturing base instead of watching it grow weaker. Time will tell, but I would hope most Americans have an uneasiness about where this country has been headed and where it needs to go in future.