My dealership is closing.

Just announced to us today that at the end of Jan., we will be closing our doors for good. A poor economy, slow sales, and an owner ready to retire finally set the ball rolling.

It's pretty depressing around here now, and pretty surreal. I already have a job at another Ford store, but it won't be the same at all. After 7 years, I'm going to lose some customers, and also my office, which took me all 7 years to get set up perfectly. :hysterical:

I'm all right, but others here don't have much to fall back on. It just feels strange. The whole past year, trouble has been on our doorstep, and now it just kicked in the door, stole my beer, and has it's feet up on the coffee table.

Happy 2009!

Just announced to us today that at the end of Jan., we will be closing our doors for good. A poor economy, slow sales, and an owner ready to retire finally set the ball rolling.

It's pretty depressing around here now, and pretty surreal. I already have a job at another Ford store, but it won't be the same at all. After 7 years, I'm going to lose some customers, and also my office, which took me all 7 years to get set up perfectly. :hysterical:

I'm all right, but others here don't have much to fall back on. It just feels strange. The whole past year, trouble has been on our doorstep, and now it just kicked in the door, stole my beer, and has it's feet up on the coffee table.

Happy 2009!

sorry to hear, thought something was up when you were absent for a while, not in the slightest your fault, right now the survivors are the ones with ZERO overheads, ones that literally own their property and buildings and have their flooring at hand. Like i have stated before, I am glad my ownership is so conservative ( may be to do with 80 plus years in business and being familiar with the ups and downs )...sad to say, but this is one way Fords dealer base will be depleated as they have stated is desirable. All the best for the future Cheif, keep in touch. Cheers.

Good luck. Is your new dealer in the same area?

Thanks, guys. Yeah the other store is about a 20 min. drive, but I should be able to bring my customers.

sorry to hear, thought something was up when you were absent for a while, not in the slightest your fault, right now the survivors are the ones with ZERO overheads, ones that literally own their property and buildings and have their flooring at hand. Like i have stated before, I am glad my ownership is so conservative ( may be to do with 80 plus years in business and being familiar with the ups and downs )...sad to say, but this is one way Fords dealer base will be depleated as they have stated is desirable. All the best for the future Cheif, keep in touch. Cheers.

Our owner did own it all, I just think he was ready to retire, and the timing worked out for him. I'm happy for him. Great guy, but it still sucks the big suck.

I was gone for a week on vacation in Denver for X-Mas. :hysterical: This was pretty unexpected here. I guess the writing was on the wall, but after you stare at the same writing for a year or so, you don't notice it anymore.

Glad to hear you have something else lined up. Takes some of the sting out of it. The Ford dealership I was with for almost 19 years just folded this June. I have been looking for work since then. Might have something later this month. We've been talking. I guess never take anything for granted!

Good luck chiefstang !!!! I know you will do your best, at your new home.

Change is hard, especially when you have been with a company for 7+ years. We are really lucky, as my husband is in a recession proof business, and his company has been in business for 36 years (family owned with successor in training).

I'm sure your customers will follow you. Goodness knows I would follow a good salesperson that I trust. You can get a "deal" anywhere. Finding good people, that you trust to look out for your best interests is priceless.

Just announced to us today that at the end of Jan., we will be closing our doors for good. A poor economy, slow sales, and an owner ready to retire finally set the ball rolling....

As other's have said congrats on being able to trasfer. Though it will take a while to feel "at home" again.

Gambino Ford over here 60 mins east in Lockport just announced that they took Ford's dealer consolidation buy-out offer. There are so many domestic dealerships so close together soemthing has to give.

Good luck.

Good Luck Chiefstang! One question about the closing dealership....what did the owner do with the franchise? Did he sell it back to Ford? Or did another dealership buy it from him?

The franchise was bought out by another dealer locally. BigBadBflo, I've done a lot of dealer trades with Gambino, and hadn't heard that yet. Pretty sad, really. They seemed like good people.

Sorry to hear your losing your job after so many years at that location, I know how you feel I was at my last dealer 5 1/2 years felt like a second home.

Glad you were able to find another job so quickly, I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into a Ford dealer when I get moved (if I ever sell the bloody house)

Is Rochester NY still dependent on Kodak?

Not so much. Kodak was the number one employer here for decades, and I believe they are now #4 behind:

1 Strong Hospital

2 Wegmans Supermarkets

3 Bausch and Lomb

Kodak ain't what it used to be. Talk about a company that went through a brutal downsizing and survived!

The digital age crushed them, as most of their profit was photofinishing. They still manufacture digital cameras and paper for the printers and such, but that's all hardware. Their money came from the "software" end of the business, and now people do that at home.

Maybe Ford should look at their model for turnaround. It crushed us locally for a few years, but now people here are worried more about the Big 2 1/2, and less about Kodak.

Happy 2009!

Best of luck chiefstang. Hopefully, right after you get there, the high mileage Euro fords will arrive and start flying off the showroom floor.

Please stay in touch and thanks for contributing to my Ford Employee Fan Club thread.