Taurus Ads To Take On Luxury Cars

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are is a link to a few related videos, and what I believe to be a tv spot...

http://www.youtube.com/user/fordvideo1#pla...s/0/eAWQkVayWWM

On a side note, I'm glad this is the approach that Ford marketing has taken with this vehicle. The Taurus has a lot to offer at a very reasonable price point.

I really like the paint video... wish they had put that paint on my Mustang!

"We're flattered that Ford would pick us," said Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore. "But features don't tell the whole story. The M45X is a world-class luxury sedan. Our entry-level Infiniti G beat the Taurus in a head-to-head test by Edmunds.com."

:lol:

Yeah and other media outlets have been comparing it to Audi A6 at that as well...whether the Taurus lost or won with the G-sedan is irrelevant. What it shows me is that if such comparisons are taking place, then it must be a very serious offering to do so. And that itself is rather impressive.

What it also shows is that Ford has brought all those "luxury perks" down to an affordable family sedan that John Q Public can own and enjoy...that is the real story of Taurus.....Ford knows it won't be stealing any sales from the featured competition with Taurus, just proving to all that Ford can do it, and do it better for less.

Now, the double whammy punch would be to go after those luxury competitors sales with Lincoln. The cache appeal is much more important in the luxury market.

Edited by twintornados

Didn't they start this with the Edge/MKX - comparing it to a Lexus for noise?

Yep, and also compared it to BMW, "quicker than a BMW X-5".

Those ads stuck in many people heads. Every now and then people will ask me how quick it is because they remember it being "faster than a BMW". They didn't bother reading the fine print (faster 0-60, 3.0 not 5.0 etc.). So with these ads, maybe folks will assume it's better than the luxury makes.

Edited by Hydro

Kind of odd, the Taurus name has never screamed luxury. Prior to the redo (which looks to be a fine car-despite having one of the ugliest rear-end's ever) the last-gen Taurii screamed "blandness" at every turn.

I don't get this:

"Our goal is not to position this car as a luxury product," said Matt Vandyke, U.S. marketing communications director for Ford. "We have very different customers.... They're not looking for a badge. But they are people who absolutely want advanced technology."

So they are pushing it for technophiles? Even if it's not intended to compete, why draw the comparison? If you push Taurus as near-lux/technophile alternative, who needs Lincoln? ("Ground control to Major Tom?" - which I liked by the way)

The side-mirror spot was interesting.

Edited by the_spaniard

Because people aren't 100% logical. They may not 'want' a luxury car, but they recognize that certain luxury cars are exemplary when it comes to things that they value.

Yes, Ford wants buyers to feel that the Taurus is closer to luxury cars than GM/Chrysler competitors.

Great to see Ford's image being raised up a few notches, Taurus and Fusion both deserve it.

Because people aren't 100% logical. They may not 'want' a luxury car, but they recognize that certain luxury cars are exemplary when it comes to things that they value.

eerily similar to Genesis marketing........a "cheaper" Lexus....

I haven't driven one....but did sit in one at a dealership showing last week. While fit and finish not on a par with cars costing twice as much, fit and finish and interior styling is very impressive I think. Car just oozes that solid feel.

It's interesting they are comparing it to expensive cars....and then saying they are really not trying to go head to head for the same customer. Because if you load it up with all the packages on the top model....it's a very expensive Taurus. In their top model....they almost are going head to head dollar wise with a lot of entry level luxury cars. They need all the up scale image they can get to appeal to the crowd that buys $40,000 cars. Lots of competition at that level.

Edited by Ralph Greene

It's interesting they are comparing it to expensive cars....and then saying they are really not trying to go head to head for the same customer. Because if you load it up with all the packages on the top model....it's a very expensive Taurus. In their top model....they almost are going head to head dollar wise with a lot of entry level luxury cars. They need all the up scale image they can get to appeal to the crowd that buys $40,000 cars. Lots of competition at that level.

My thing is, how can they boast this kind of advertisement, when they got the MKS? They should use this kind of stuff on the Lincoln. Why would I buy an MKS when I can get a Taurus?

Actually...in the non EB models....The standard MKS with no or few options (which includes a lot of stuff standard), doesn't cost much more than the loaded up Limited Taurus....if any more. And I would rather have the Lincoln....just looking at their interior, they seem nicer.... But I'm an old guy. I also know you don't get much for options at trade in time.

When I get time....I'm going to compare them side to side for X plan cost. Loaded up Taurus VS almost standard MKS.

My thing is, how can they boast this kind of advertisement, when they got the MKS? They should use this kind of stuff on the Lincoln. Why would I buy an MKS when I can get a Taurus?

People willing to spend $$$ on the snob factor

I don't get why people are saying the Taurus is expensive, yes the SHO is pricey, but it also performs like and more tech features then an Audi A6 that costs 20K more then it.

Your run of the mill SEL loaded goes for $35K without Navigation system....that isn't bad considering a fully loaded Sport Fusion falls in around 33K

People willing to spend $$$ on the snob factor

I don't get why people are saying the Taurus is expensive, yes the SHO is pricey, but it also performs like and more tech features then an Audi A6 that costs 20K more then it.

Your run of the mill SEL loaded goes for $35K without Navigation system....that isn't bad considering a fully loaded Sport Fusion falls in around 33K

To me, everything new is expensive yet justified. Cars offer a whole lot more these days. With all the tech. available with the Taurus, it is a bargain compared to the Camry, Avalon, Maxima, Genesis, etc.

I'm the guy who'll wait a year and bargain shop for a lightly-used one. :play: