New Lincoln Pickup Truck

If they do it then it would be squarely aimed at Ranchers and Equestrian types who tow heavy trailers and have a lot of money to spend. I don't think it's really necessary from a product lineup standpoint but I do think it would serve a niche and probably generate huge profits with a MSRP near $70K if not higher.

The difference between this and the Ranger? This can be added to an already existing production facility that is already self supporting. Ranger has no such luxury.

Problem has been, the previous attempts were half-assed for the most part. If they did it correct, they can somewhat do well. My only issue is, tying up resources for badge engineering product, or place that investment into something totally new and fresh ? I mean, FIX first what you have, before taking on this. The money could be spent on redoing the Navi, it has a NAME, it defined the segment when it was introduced over a decade ago, and it's being left to rot with ugly braces.

Problem has been, the previous attempts were half-assed for the most part. If they did it correct, they can somewhat do well. My only issue is, tying up resources for badge engineering product, or place that investment into something totally new and fresh ? I mean, FIX first what you have, before taking on this. The money could be spent on redoing the Navi, it has a NAME, it defined the segment when it was introduced over a decade ago, and it's being left to rot with ugly braces.

Don't forget that Lincoln is denying this and so are my sources.

As I said in the Lincoln flagship topic, a Lincoln SD would be good, if done right. Knowing GM and their badge engineering, I'm sure they have a Denali based Cadillac HD ready to go and Ford wants to be able to counter with something even better. Ranchers, equestrian types and luxury 5th wheel RV owners will all want a Lincoln or Cadillac to pull their monster trailers.

As I said in the Lincoln flagship topic, a Lincoln SD would be good, if done right. Knowing GM and their badge engineering, I'm sure they have a Denali based Cadillac HD ready to go and Ford wants to be able to counter with something even better. Ranchers, equestrian types and luxury 5th wheel RV owners will all want a Lincoln or Cadillac to pull their monster trailers.

My peace on this is also located in the "New Lincoln Flagship" thread, and yeah I think if done right it could be successful.

However, it has been reported that Cadillac is cutting their only pickup with the next cycle. The Avalanche-based Escalade SUT won't be replaced at the end of its planned lifespan.

Cadillac's current truck plans:

SRX Crossover - rumored to migrate back to Sigma platform in next generation. Greenlit.

Large Crossover - Lambda based (Traverse / Acadia / Enclave) crossover coming, originally penned as Escalade replacement. Greenlit.

Escalade program - On / Off / now possibly on again full sized, BOF Suburban variant. Was to be killed and replaced by Lambda crossover.

My peace on this is also located in the "New Lincoln Flagship" thread, and yeah I think if done right it could be successful.

However, it has been reported that Cadillac is cutting their only pickup with the next cycle. The Avalanche-based Escalade SUT won't be replaced at the end of its planned lifespan.

Cadillac's current truck plans:

SRX Crossover - rumored to migrate back to Sigma platform in next generation. Greenlit.

Large Crossover - Lambda based (Traverse / Acadia / Enclave) crossover coming, originally penned as Escalade replacement. Greenlit.

Escalade program - On / Off / now possibly on again full sized, BOF Suburban variant. Was to be killed and replaced by Lambda crossover.

The way GM makes their trucks, they can easily stick an Escalade front clip on an HD truck. Customizers do it all the time in the aftermarket.

233385421_69e837fd90.jpg

The difference between this and the Ranger? This can be added to an already existing production facility that is already self supporting. Ranger has no such luxury.

You would think this would be a true statement correct? And if so, would it not apply to Milan? Mountaneer? GM? Yes it would- but then you talk about the "marketing overhead" associated with keeping these brands. Well that too is a correct statement.

So what did they do? Keep a big chunk of marketing overhead because they insist on keeping Lincoln alive that feeds a separate dealer network, that now has lost a huge percentage of their sales potential. Cover your fixed costs with that!

I love Alan but I think he is surrounded now by bobbleheads- "yes boss- brilliant idea". Everyone is drinking the same Kool-Aid

Lincoln super duty?

if they can't sell a lincoln F150 in America why sell a super duty? or is this for the mexican drug cartel market?

For sure -Blackwood-strike out- fancy F-150-strikeout- Duh- "Hey Alan lets go for the NBA/Equestrian crowd". If a King Ranch isn't good enough, you are selling to the drug crowd and they will never make it past their 8th payment!

I think this could be a great thing if done properly with a unique body for the guys that tow huge 5th wheels (though I read they aren't doing a dually, which doesn't make any sense with the target market..this thing needs to be the be all, end all of towing if they do it!). However, if it's a choice between this and a new lincoln flagship, a rwd sport-luxury, etc I think they need to get the cars done first and then if that works out they can give this a shot if they have some extra budget to play around with and can absorb a failure - though I really don't think it would be a failure. If you look at even the offroad world alone, the desert racers out in Cali, the amount of money they spend on their tow rigs and decking them out is astounding, not to mention the high dollar trailers, and on top of that the high dollar race vehicles there is a huge market for something like this. Then you have the retirees with the fifth wheel campers. Then the guys that are bombing out their diesel trucks running around "rollin' coal, yo!", as much as those types annoy the hell out of me, they have a lot of money and need attention and a Lincoln pickup truck will give them that! These types would get by with the F250 based Lincoln truck, because they generally don't tow much of anything, they just race their diesel trucks - so increased comfort, style, and power would be appealing to them.

IMHO, the platinum-level F-150 will do.

Now, IF the next Falcon is going to become a LHD vehicle, putting a Lincoln grille on the pickup version with a full load of options and a supercharged 5.0, might do very well in North America — regardless of price.

My 2¢ :)

Ford-FG_Falcon_Ute_XR6_Turbo_2008_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

Even the flatbed version:

Ford%20Falcon%20Ute.jpg

IMHO, the platinum-level F-150 will do.

Now, IF the next Falcon is going to become a LHD vehicle, putting a Lincoln grille on the pickup version with a full load of options and a supercharged 5.0, might do very well in North America — regardless of price.

My 2¢ :)

Ford-FG_Falcon_Ute_XR6_Turbo_2008_photo_02.jpg

Even the flatbed version:

Ford%20Falcon%20Ute.jpg

not a big deal imho but for future reference

the only pic-version that NetCarShow lets you hotlink is a 640x480.

the code is labelled: Direct link to image near the top of each page

For sure -Blackwood-strike out- fancy F-150-strikeout- Duh- "Hey Alan lets go for the NBA/Equestrian crowd". If a King Ranch isn't good enough, you are selling to the drug crowd and they will never make it past their 8th payment!

Maybe this is Mulally's idea of a new RWD vehicle for Lincoln. I guess you have to call it MKLT. Give it an EB 5.0LV8 with V12 power and V8 fuel mileage.

So what did they do? Keep a big chunk of marketing overhead because they insist on keeping Lincoln alive that feeds a separate dealer network, that now has lost a huge percentage of their sales potential. Cover your fixed costs with that!

They kept a brand that can carry ATPs $10k or more higher than the one they dropped.

Right size the dealer footprint and you're money ahead.

I don't like that they canned Mercury. I don't buy the 'distractions' argument, and I think they created a false dilemma by thinking their only choices were to invest a fortune in it or cancel it.

However, Lincoln products carry a significantly higher transaction price without bearing a proportionally higher cost. Thus they're more profitable.

I don't like that they canned Mercury. I don't buy the 'distractions' argument, and I think they created a false dilemma by thinking their only choices were to invest a fortune in it or cancel it.

Ford uses this same excuse over and over again to get rid of areas not seen as core centered.

All of these moves are designed to have Ford making as many vehicles as possible on the least number

of platforms in as few plants as possible. Taken to its extreme, that philosophy would see Ford NA only

building F Truck, Focus, Taurus/Explorer, Fusion and Fiesta.

I'm all for shrinking to profitability but having accountants control every single decision is destroying everything that

makes Ford Motor unique and distinctive, the joy of making great cars with individuality that reach as many people as possible.

At some point (I hope soon) the Fords are going to have to step up and say enough down sizing, time to grow the business up in other directions.

However, Lincoln products carry a significantly higher transaction price without bearing a proportionally higher cost. Thus they're more profitable.

The thing I'm really curious is how much more of a profit Lincoln is going to be making over say the Titanium level of the Ford model its based off of.

For example:

Flex Titanium loaded up is Nearly $55K (only thing it doesn't have is the adaptive cruise control and wood/or metal dash appliqué that the MKT has)

a Loaded MKT is $60635

But then again the base model differences are huge..the MKT is nearly $15k more then the Flex! Guess thats how Ford will make their $$$ money back on sheetmetal changes ;)

But you also have to wonder if the Titanium trim cars are going to be even raking in more profit then Lincolns...a Flex SE starts at 29 and a Titanium is 40K...and you can add on another 15K easy...all in profit without any major changes to the car...just trim and interior material upgrades.

Taken to its extreme, that philosophy would see Ford NA only building F Truck, Focus, Taurus/Explorer, Fusion and Fiesta.

I understand you're making a point by saying "extreme", but regardless of how you view dumping Mercury, killing the Panthers and letting a US-specific Ranger go, it's patently ridiculous to think Ford would just stop building the Mustang. I mean, really. And what about the Edge? You're not really being "extreme" anyway because everything you listed above is everything except the Mustang, Edge, Flex, Escape, Expedition and Transit Connect. And isn't the Expedition on an F-series platform or variant anyway? They might kill it because of sales anyway, but it's not like killing the Expy reduces an extra platform. And since the market is increasingly small SUV/CUVs, why would Ford kill the Escape.

Again, "extreme" is noted, but your point makes no sense, whatsoever.