exposed: 2011 elantra

blazerdude20

Not bad, but that first shot isn't flattering at all....another thing I noticed about the design is that its a very cab forward design, and the front over hang looks way too short/small for the car.

At least the 2012 Focus has some competition when it comes to the best looking compact car now.

Why do we still have troops there?

Because of North Korea and lesser extent China. We've cut back on the amount of troops in South Korea over the past couple years anyways to help with the manpower issues of running the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. At last count we only have 28.5K troops there, down from 45K in the 1990s

Hyundai has come along way.

I do like the Sonata, and I even like this Elantra. But as usual with Hyundai, they've overdesigned or made the style too busy with certain aspects, IMHO.

That top photo, gives it a cheesy grin look to it up front. That first pic, also makes the Elantra look like it has a HUGE J-Lo A$$. From the profile, like someone else stated, has a big cab forward design, and that crease from the front door all the way back is a little too pronounced. Also the wheel wells/fenders, look too much like the new F150 style fenders, which I'm not too fond of. Not feeling the design of the rear door windows. And the rear screams Hyundai from years past. The interior looks well executed, but a few designs of the dash take away from the overall interior appeal.

I must say, this is a great job for Hyundai. But still taking designs a little too far in particular areas. If I was in the market for a car this size, I'd give the Elantra a shot.

Edited by V8-X

So much for Hyundai/Kia making the most affordable vehicles in auto world. They have gone upscale and even their cheapest vehicles now are up there in price. Looks like the bottom feeders will have to look elsewhere or buy used. The Sportage is now priced like premuim small CUV and Elantra the same. I know at the auto show that they didn't have a vehicle on floor priced under $16,000. And the latest new stuff has gone upscale.

So much for Hyundai/Kia making the most affordable vehicles in auto world. They have gone upscale and even their cheapest vehicles now are up there in price. Looks like the bottom feeders will have to look elsewhere or buy used. The Sportage is now priced like premuim small CUV and Elantra the same. I know at the auto show that they didn't have a vehicle on floor priced under $16,000. And the latest new stuff has gone upscale.

Keep in mind that a *strong* negotiator will probably still get a good deal out-the-door on the H/K products, regardless of the sticker price. Esp. if it's month-end and there's a decent incentive on the hood.

-Ovaltine

Too many curves going in too many different directions. It's not to my taste but I think it might do OK.

The angle of the photo is a little harsh, but the proportions are all wrong.

I agree with both of you - too much going on, but I feel most cars these days are going that way. I suppose you could say it looks better than the current one, but that isn't saying much.

Personally I like it. It's not a safe design, it is a stretch based on good design elements.. But as it becomes familiar it will look advanced....something BMWs haven't done (still ugly).

I'd never buy a Korean car because of this: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/report-hyundai-chairman-chung-ordered-to-repay-60m-to-automake/

Here the Government has a stake in GM, in Korea Hyundai OWNS the government. Corruption is rampant. The former President is facing 20 years (but the head of Hyundai gets off?). There are other political issues to. No matter how pretty the car is, or low much it improves in reliability, the Company is still S^&T IMHO.

Not only busy, but I still don't trust their reliability. From what my friends have experienced, its fine for the first few years, then it's downhill after that. No thank you...

Can't say I've experienced that with my 2004 or 2005. Nor anyone I know that has owned one for multiple years.

Keep in mind that a *strong* negotiator will probably still get a good deal out-the-door on the H/K products, regardless of the sticker price. Esp. if it's month-end and there's a decent incentive on the hood.

-Ovaltine

month end, late night and "make your quota" sales are absolute falicies.....