Ford electric Focus

But it's a good candidate as a "first car". 70% of Americans commute less than 30 miles a day and everyone has a 220v plug at home.

No, not everyone has a 220v plug at home, and even those who do, few would have them in the garage. My parents house does not have one, and mine did not until I did my kitchen renno (electric oven, gas cooktop).

I'm excited to see real world range. My parking garage has chargers available. This could be my perfect commuter car. Hybrid would give me no real benefit. BORG needs to realize not everyone is a single, one car, 30 something Lincoln enthusiast.

Accidentally hit the (-) on the reputation thing...sorry about that. I don't know how to correct it. (I injured my wrist weight lifting so it is wrapped up in a splint). Meant to hit reply...

I actually like the electric front end better. It is less busy than the regular version. I think it is sufficiently different enough from the gas Focus to be of interested to the ego- I mean eco- crowd.

I'm not convinced that electric cars have a future (yet), but I can be very wrong on it. I guess sales will tell the tale. The issue is that people keep assuming the "100 miles per charge" is the range. That's on a fresh battery. That charge will fade...as all batteries fade. Your range might be 100 miles when you drove to work. By the time you are ready to go home and a cold front's moved in, it could be 20 miles left for you. What are you going to do then? If you are in a non-snow area, how much juice does ti take to run the a/c? If you are stuck on the highway in California in the summer, do you just sit in the hot car without the a/c running?

I don't know the details obviously...but I would be happy for Ford if this thing sells like hot cakes. Meanwhile...5 weeks now on a splint and still can't do curls...at least now I can turn the doorknob without pain. LOL

Man, that is one ugly car, but I've never really liked the look of the focus. This just takes it further down the drain. Lately some of the newer focus sedans have been pretty nice though...

I'm going to take back some of my thoughts on the Electric Focus, I've spoken to real consumers and they convince me this is an appealing option for them...depends on price and infrastructure of course.

Seeing it in video also makes it look more attractive, and the My Ford Touch system actually appears to work in that video (the butterfly animated wallpaper isn't 2fps).

• Like 1

I have exchanged emails with an acquaintance who is an engineer at FoMoCo, and he states unequivocally that within 10 years, electric cars will have the range, performance, speed of recharge, and longevity to be competitive with gas powered cars. He wouldn't(or couldn't) make predictions on price, but that they would be "substantially less expensive" than they are now. Even now, this car could replace about 40% of the cars in this country...all the 2nd cars in 2-car families that are used for commuting and for around town errands

I have exchanged emails with an acquaintance who is an engineer at FoMoCo, and he states unequivocally that within 10 years, electric cars will have the range, performance, speed of recharge, and longevity to be competitive with gas powered cars. He wouldn't(or couldn't) make predictions on price, but that they would be "substantially less expensive" than they are now. Even now, this car could replace about 40% of the cars in this country...all the 2nd cars in 2-car families that are used for commuting and for around town errands

That would be great and I'm all for it. For Ford's first entry into the game, I think the Focus overall looks good, more stylish than the Leaf or Volt. I'm considering replacing a 2010 Fusion with a 2012 Focus this summer. In order to be competitive and not be just a commuter/errand vehicle a lot needs to be done. In order for it to really compete with gas or gas hybrid cars, every restaurant, shopping mall and hotel/motel across the country will need to install charging stations, along with roadside charging stations and emergency stations. A battery exchange network will need to be in place for non stop continuous trips, or cars will need to be designed to be able to accept a rapid charge of 30 minutes or less. A lot of private buy-in, and yes, a lot of Government investment will be needed for the infrastructure. For now the upper 2% will own them, but for guys like me, it will be a long time until I can afford one as a daily driver.

I know that from a production, design and cost savings (and ultimately profit) standpoint, using the Focus as the entry in the all-electric retail field was the best case for Ford. When new technology like this is released, generally the greenies want to shout it from the rooftops that "THEY ARE DRIVING AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE". I hope that they can look past that and realize that this is likely the best all-electric package they can buy....even if it is wrapped in the same same shell as a gas powered Focus.

If I were in the market for something like this, I would definitely buy this over the Leaf. I just hope that the "status conscious" people feel the same way. This seems to really be a solid entry into what looks to be a fast growing segment.

I haven't been paying much attention to the Leaf but is Nissan carrying through with their plan to lease the battery to the consumer? If so, how might that affect the buying choice? If the buyer is faced with an extra monthly charge for leasing the battery that could negatively affect sales. However, if that same buyer planned to keep the car long term it could actually be less expensive than paying for a replacement when the original battery pack eventually dies. Of course some buyers would probably just trade the vehicle in at that point.

I haven't been paying much attention to the Leaf but is Nissan carrying through with their plan to lease the battery to the consumer? If so, how might that affect the buying choice? If the buyer is faced with an extra monthly charge for leasing the battery that could negatively affect sales. However, if that same buyer planned to keep the car long term it could actually be less expensive than paying for a replacement when the original battery pack eventually dies. Of course some buyers would probably just trade the vehicle in at that point.

Does anybody know how much these batterys cost? I'm thinking what, maybe around ~$3000-$4000? I'm just guestimating this based on the price premium of the escape hybrid over the regular hybrid, and the rest I assume is maybe for the other hybrid components? Those escape hybrid taxis in California went 300,000 miles on the original batteries. So it seems like they have the potential to last a lot longer than many engines and trannys, and probably the ownership of a lot of original owners. While it's still a lot of money, battery replacement wouldn't be much more costly than an engine replacement.

I haven't researched battery prices, so if somebody knows I'd love to hear.

What's the value for resale on an electric with a depleted battery with an instant costly repair? I could see Ford selling replacement batteries to dealers at cost so cars wouldn't be sitting on used lots too long. This would also encourage trade-ins rather than private sales. Dealerships can make money on the car twice.

Edited by transitman

Haha, wow. Some real fanboys up in this place. Apparently in Nazi ford land you can't have your own opinion. :finger:

Wait, you can disagree with us and that's all baseball and apple pie but if we disagree with you it's Goose-stepping and Ovens? Are you by any chance a Fox News anchor?

• Like 1