Peter D's take on the new F-150

It started in '92. Wife fell for versatility of Explorer, abandoning sports coup and luxury sedan. Six EB Explorers later, 2005 and independent rear suspension, power running boards, fold flat power third row seat got her into Expedition Limited. Again an nearly identical 2008 Expy Limited came along. Now into the 2014 model year and aging '08 Expedition still in garage. Ford has wore us down waiting for significant changed Expedition. I hate to admit, unless assurance of more than freshened Expy happens in next few months, a visit to GM showroom planned to peruse their new full size SUV offering......

• Like 1

Aside from its long-in-the-tooth current iteration, the Expedition was never really all that differentiated from the F150, anyway. Heck, it's really only more differentiated now simply because the F150 has been updated while the Expedition has been left to wither on the vine...

The F-150 has always looked more "truckish" though, even with the first and second gen Expeditions. F-150 took a detour much further into "truckish" when it finally split platforms. Remember who much of the audience is for large SUVs like the Expedition and Suburban -- "soccer moms".

I'm not sure how you can say that--the 1st gen Expedition had the same front clip as the F150.

Yep. And the '97-'03 F150 wasn't exactly "truckish" looking! The '03 Expy (the first year of the redesign) was much more truckish looking than the '03 F150 (the last year before the redesign).

• Like 2

I was just recalling back to the talk that there were refreshed Expy/Navi models that were cancelled, and then there was the talk that they could, in fact put those refreshed models out ("un-cancel" them) to hold over until all-new models came out. Personally, at this point, I'd tend to agree with you in just thinking they should just go with all-new rather than just refreshed models.....I mean would the refreshed models be out for a model year or two before being completely repleaced?

I personally think an all new Expedition and Navigator is a little further out then a year or two and a refresh of the current model for 2015 makes sense. What else uses the old 5.4 at this point? A 5.0 and EB 3.5 along with a styling refresh and adding things like MFT will help give these vehicles a much needed boost against the new GM SUVs and some life until the all new one is ready. Crown Vic'n them for the next 2 or 3 model years isn't really a good idea if they plan to stay competitive in this market. From everything I have heard the MCE is pretty much ready to go and I would expect we will see it unveiled in the very near future for the 2015 model year.

By the looks of these spy shots and the information it is ready to go so I can't see them not introducing it at this point. It would be crazy to spend the money to develop and then run the current one for the next 2 or 3 model years.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2013/163_news131030_caught_2015_ford_expedition_inside_and_out/

Edited by 2005Explorer

I personally think an all new Expedition and Navigator is a little further out then a year or two and a refresh of the current model for 2015 makes sense...

...Crown Vic'n them for the next 2 or 3 model years isn't really a good idea if they plan to stay competitive in this market. From everything I have heard the MCE is pretty much ready to go and I would expect we will see it unveiled in the very near future for the 2015 model year...

I've heard a heavily refreshed Navi** is definite for this cy2014/2015my year.

No dates were given but I'd expect it shown at/by NYC. (have you seen the current-Navi pix that Lincoln's been posting on their facebook lately?)

Just-imho the earliest the AllNew Navi, based on the alu-F-150, could arrive is Q3-2016

** new interior, engine;

& exterior updated

Edited by 2b2

Could Navigator be a "bottom half" refresh, 2015 F150 chassis and power trains,

leaving the aluminum body for later when F150 processes are fully bedded in....

That could be a logical alternative with least disruption to production changeover

to new F150 platform and supply network.

Edited by jpd80

The refresh should stop a loss of market share as the engine options are really good.

The all new F150 based should get market share back. If I were Ford, I would even go as far as to name the new one F150 Expedition so the positive image of the pick up can be shared with the new SUV. Of course keep sales numbers separate like Taurus and Taurus X.

Getting back to Peter D... Did anyone read what he thought of the new Chrysler 200?... (ouch!)

Getting back to Peter D... Did anyone read what he thought of the new Chrysler 200?... (ouch!)

Pete was right about the F-150 and he's right about the new Chrysler too. The 200 goes from being incompetent to merely competent. Interesting that Mark Rechtin, reporter/style critic for Automotive News, gives the Chrysler a thumbs down too.

I saw an insider post that ford was looking to take the navigator way upmarket to land rover territory.

The current Navigator peaks out half way through GMC Yukon pricing and below Cadillac Escalade series.

Expedition models should fill out pricing more to cover low to mid series Youkon by gaining a a Platinum model at around $57,000.

The Navigator should then start around $63,000 and go through to $80,000m or so to cover GMC Denali and high series Escalade.

The change over sweet spot between Ford and Lincoln seems to be approximately mid way through Buick/GMC.

That way, lincoln can be seen as covering higher series Buick and GMC vehicles and most of Cadillac's price .range.

Edited by jpd80

Pete was right about the F-150 and he's right about the new Chrysler too. The 200 goes from being incompetent to merely competent. Interesting that Mark Rechtin, reporter/style critic for Automotive News, gives the Chrysler a thumbs down too.

After going to the show Thursday, The 200 isn't a bad car -- I would put it at the current Camry and Sonata which is probably what they used to benchmark. The new Accord and Fusion just moved the market forward but it should help Chrysler at least get into the market. Sales number will be much better too as they aren't selling the Avenger so all the midsized numbers go to one car. If you lump the 2 together you get 222,365 in sales for the 200. The Malibu only sold 200,594.

The shock will be over at GM, the refreshed Expedition being competitive with the new Suburban in interior and ride (IRS is a huge advantage on interior packaging and ride) The new Expedition will probably show up when the new 10speed trans makes it debut.

The new 200 is just a Dart with a 1.6 inch longer wheelbase and longer front overhang to accommodate the V6. From a financial standpoint, I think Chrysler did the right thing, but the car won't be a hit.

I woulnt count the 200 out. It offers better value then the Sonata, Optima and Malibu with better pricing, options and a nice V6.

Everything DeLorenzo says is this:

tumblr_lifqtbSoyG1qakh43o1_400.gif

For every gem he has, he five of these (from the same windblown article):

To write about the 2014 Detroit Auto Show and not mention the Cadillac Elmiraj, which made its debut last August at Pebble Beach, would be criminal, because it was still the best design here, and if it weren’t for the Corvette, it would be my Best in Show, hands down. It’s that good. It’s everything Cadillac should be. And if the new large sedan that’s coming - which is said to be based off of the Elmiraj - is anything even close to it, Cadillac will have well and truly arrived. Cadillac needs to make a statement vehicle and not worry about making one dime on it. And they should start with the Elmiraj. If they do that, the long-term benefits to the brand would be incalculable.

Remind me if I start an automotive company, not to hire him as a consultant.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Much, much more similar, but as I recall, still not identical.

145996d1347937620t-99-lariat-4x4-f150sid

99expedition.jpg

Aside from the grille inserts (which varied between models of both), they were identical.

And that level of commonality only lasted 2-3 years.

They would have coexisted like this from the 1997-2002 model years.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

They would have coexisted like this from the 1997-2002 model years.

Wow. It really was that long huh? Either way, the 97-03 F-150 wasn't exactly in-your-face masculinity embodied in sheet metal as the current F-150 is. The current look just wouldn't fly on the Expedition anymore. I would say much the same about the interior. The Expedition could really use a unique flow-through center console.

Edited by NickF1011

And I misspoke in the other thread about platform programming... The 2003 Expedition continued on a more heavily modified U platform as it had since its 1997 inception. F-150 made the jump to P2 for the 2004 model year. For MY2007, Expedition migrated to a reworked P2 (dubbed T1), finally ditching the old U platform.

I had (wrongly) thought that Expedition's platform switch came in 2003, not 2007.