Lincoln Plans Product Blitz

It seems the MKX seen in Beijing will be a 2016 MY vehicle, so it seems likely we should see more of it soon for a Spring-Summer 2015 launch?

Which would most-likely mean the next Edge will be a '16 MY as well. Time for akirby and Nick to bring that discussion back... :stirpot:

As much as I want to see a RWD Lincoln, I'm not sure that a Mustang based coupe is the right way to do it. It would be space limited and likely not have an AWD option. Stretching it to a sedan would likely create a lot of compromises. If this very narrow niche product fizzles, then RWD at Lincoln could be gone forever. I'd rather see a dedicated platform developed. Maybe a Lincstang could happen faster, but Ford execs need to realize that it wouldn't be a barometer of what a real attempt might achieve.

If they developed a new RWD platform it would have to support at least midsized coupes, convertibles and sedans as well as full-sized sedans and maybe SUVs. And why not throw in a hi-po Ford product? The days of dedicated platforms for 50K units are over (at Ford at least - I'm sure GM is doing new ones as we speak).

As much as I want to see a RWD Lincoln, I'm not sure that a Mustang based coupe is the right way to do it. It would be space limited and likely not have an AWD option. Stretching it to a sedan would likely create a lot of compromises. If this very narrow niche product fizzles, then RWD at Lincoln could be gone forever. I'd rather see a dedicated platform developed. Maybe a Lincstang could happen faster, but Ford execs need to realize that it wouldn't be a barometer of what a real attempt might achieve.

quote=me-elsewhere-today

S550 = in production

large Rwd platform = not even hinted at yet

which can help pay for which?

&

from yesterday

just-imho

giving an S550 coupe(cabrio) a 4" wheelbase stretch is Very Little more than a reskin

&

that's all that's needed for a Lincoln 2-door sports model...

...nicely positioned between the 4-series & 6-series

what I believe will be

-- much harder**

-- yet even More needed & WELL-WORTH-IT

is a 4-door sportsedan to take on the 3er, Jag XE, upper-ATS's, C-classes...

** for which

the same 4" stretch brings the Stang "pedestal wlb" upto 3er spec

but then

they'll have to cut back the Mustang's 81.2" of overhang down closer to the 3er's 71.9"

while finding more interior room, esp rear, than only Fords Fusion-&-larger have had in living memory...

...piece o' cak

Edited by 2b2

I would agree on a dedicated Lincoln RWD platform but maybe not in this generation. But it would give me a reason to look at Lincoln again for a personal purchase.

Yes, having something now (near future) to get Lincoln's name back into the performance spotlight would springboard the brand's reputation. If it is a relative success, Lincoln could have more initial input for the next generation. I wouldn't think of it as a halo car, but more of a brand enhancement for the future.

The tricky and expensive task would be to make the interior look worthy of a luxury brand, and to rework the body panels enough to make it look like a Lincoln. They would desperately need to rework the Lincoln grill and front end for this venture, as an MKZ front just doesn't have the moxie to pull it off.

I think expecting 60K sales out of a Lincoln Mustang is a bit over zealous...

Selling 20-30K a year is a bit more reasonable and would be profitable at starting price of 40K or so...a fully loaded model would be close to 65K or so. Yes, it would over lap with the GT350/500, but at the same time this Lincoln would be a luxury car, not an all out performance supercar.

I'm thinking Audi A5/S5/Cabriolet. If it can be stretched to an A4 like sedan, that would help a lot. I think that's the sweet spot for both size and price.

However, I would prioritize the Aviator and new MKX over this if necessary.

A full sized sedan should be last. The market is just tiny.

The Mustang do about 70-80k alone. A Lincstang sedan would mostly get an exportable U.S. made Falcon replacement while challenging the rear-drive sedans from GM and Chrysler. Lincstang coupes would do 40k at least. I don't expect any full-size rear-drive sedans from Ford though.

If S550 was not designed with a sedan in mind then it will be difficult. If they did take that into account then it might work. Might not be ideal, but it might work as a lower cost first phase.

Not to argue, but it's all CAD these days, and any changes at all require a whole new set of production stamping dies. So with all the engineering CAD algorythms these days, making modifications in CAD should not be "difficult"; time-consuming, yes, but not "difficult". Rather, doing calculations by hand on stress loads is "difficult". Calculating curved gear contours by hand is "difficult".

Computers sure changed things. To get an idea of pre-computer challenges, I recommend reading Boris Chertok's "Rockets and People", vols. 1-3. It's a fascinating history on how the Soviets boot-strapped themselves into space. You can find it on the NASA site. :)

The basic structure for Mustang can be extended for sedan use....christ, we are not talking a limo here....it would likely need a 6 to 12 inch stretch to create a luxury sedan....maybe a little more if they want to import it to China. It would seem that a 12 inch addition behind the front seats should give ample room for a luxury sedan

If S550 was not designed with a sedan in mind then it will be difficult. If they did take that into account then it might work. Might not be ideal, but it might work as a lower cost first phase.

I STILL think this is going to happen....either with the 5.0 OR with the 3.5 eco and all wheel drive ( as per the Fusion mule that apparently was an ANIMAL....)

I STILL think this is going to happen....either with the 5.0 OR with the 3.5 eco and all wheel drive ( as per the Fusion mule that apparently was an ANIMAL....)

I agree. I think they're holding a few cards up their sleeves to surprise everyone.