SOURCE: FORD TO DISCONTINUE V8 MOTORS IN MUSTANG, F-150 AFTER 2017, WILL RUN 4-CYLINDER AND V6 ECOBOOST EXCLUSIVELY

Maybe, maybe not.

With IRS and better interiors and right-hand drive, the Mustang is now a 'world' car that can compete with V-8 offerings from the European coupe manufacturers like M-B, Audi and BMW and Jaguar through the Shelby crew.

But if CAFE puts Ford in a bind, a V-8 Mustang in North America might have to go.

My 2¢. :)

Quote From a Ford Rep to HPwars:

“Ford is definitely phasing out the V8 motor altogether”, he said – word for word. “CAFE and EPA are working very hard discreetly to to make sure of that. There is quite a bit going on at Ford that the public is in the dark about. The impression that I am getting is that Ford wants to continue it’s V8 program, but things have (rather recently) taken a new direction, presumably from CAFE/EPA pressure in mid to late 2013. Ford have invested quite a bit of money into the Coyote program over the years, and even had plans of going DI (Direct Injection). The future development budget for the 5.2L FPC motor has dwindled, and there is talk that this motor may continue it’s life exclusively in the form of sanctioned racing series, not on the street. The next big thing for Ford at this point is weight savings. They are trying to lighten these Mustangs to get high performance numbers out of the Ecoboost, and whether we like it or not, that is the (near) future. It’s not Ford’s fault, and you can thank the Gov’t for this – not the consumer”.

Our source later went on to explain that “The rebranding/reshuffling of the Ford Performance Division is all a result of this added EPA pressure. Ford wasn’t going to fund a performance program unless it’s primary focus was on the smaller Ecoboost motors, so SVT and Ford Racing were dissolved into this new Performance Division. And unfortunately, it would be foolish to expect to see any new V8 cars coming out of this new Performance Division. Ford Performance is going to be cranking out some very fast cars for some time, but even if the new Shelby GT500 gets the green light, it will likely be the last gasoline Ford V8 will ever produce.”
End Quote

The quote taken at face value makes sense if you want to hang the government out to dry as being the all-knowing killjoys. That said, it can be taken as a point EcoBoost with smaller and less material usage provides equal or better power then it's larger brethern. It does smell of mis-information though. I think the time the company has put in to make the powertrains more efficient both fuel and emission wise will pay dividends now and in the future.

The V8s aren't going away, but they are going to be marginalized. And I don't think anyone disputes that.

Ford is almost certainly more interested in reducing V8 volume in the F150, given the impact of that vehicle on CAFE.

Regarding the FPC----this was always going to be a limited application motor. You weren't going to have the FPC as an optional engine for the Mustang GT, much less available for the Raptor or the F150.

F-150 going without V8 is plausible given the advances in powertrain development and F-150's outsized impact on CAFE. But frankly, I don't see it happening... Ford can control the product volume by price and it can keep the 5.0 V8 as option for Luddites as long as they are willing to pay extra for it. Also, I would imagine that by 2018, a significant portion of F-150 sales will be hybrids, which should yield a decent improvement in CAFE to allow a handful of 5.0 V8 to be sold.

Mustang will surely have a V8 no matter what since it has only minor impact on CAFE.

Edited by bzcat

This is the reason I came to the website, as this is the second time this very afternoon I read this.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2015/01/ecoboosted-future-ford-performance/

My heart is getting a workout this early week, between yesterdays display of my kind of Ford Blue, and the knowledge that the idea of no more 8 cyl engines has been put back a few times now.

As a kid, I recall looking at our 64 Galaxie 500XL Fastback with its crate 427 and Father's Day dual Holley 4's during our 1977 Family vacation down the Pacific Coast highway pulling a travel trailer from Alaska to Mexico and wondering if I would even get to buy a new V8. The Mustang almost died its first death, and the second was even worse...I wrote one of those letters re the Probe, and even as I recommended (and sort of co drove there for a while) a Probe GT, I knew that wasn't long for the world either.

The idea that people are seriously put out in 2015 that our sacred internal combustion monster is a dinosaur is a bit much, but then, recently as a species we haven't been too forward looking. Performance is open to EVERYTHING that makes the experience better. For some, it is apparently really ugly office chairs in a hardwood floor Benz, for others it will be super hybrid pocket rockets. I wouldn't have believed in 77 that I would have already had a 650HP daily driver 97 SVT Cobra (traded from a 94GT), nor looking real hard at the GT350R now.

That said, a spokesperson for us along the lines of Heston's "cold dead throttle foot" might stave this off another few years. Figure Leno will take the gig?

One last clutch drop run throught the gears everyone?

Edited by JETSOLVER

CAFE is being blamed as a catch all for any fuel economy decisions made, the best thing that happened with the 2015 F150

is that the Minimum EPA highway figure for any F150 is now 21 mpg, all the previous 6.2 iwith 16 and 18 mpg are gone.

For 2015, the EPA window sticker mileage for Half Ton Trucks is 18 mpg and then in 2016, it rises to 19 mpg and stays there until 2021.

So Ford is basically well above where it needs to be with larger "Trucks and Utilities" as far as CAFE is concerned. but the angst starts

with those small Trucks and Utes where the minimum window sticker mileage rises from 26 mpg to 31 mpg.

Over with cars, it's even worse, between 2015 and 2021:

- Footprint 41 sq ft or less, Compacts and sub Compacts go from minimum window sticker of 29 mpg to 37 mpg

- Footprint 55 sq ft or bigger, Compacts and sub Compacts go from minimum window sticker of 23 mpg to 28 mpg

So, I think it may be V8 Mustang under more threat than the V8 F150 but as long as the V8 f150 survives, the V8 Mustang will continue.

Separately, can someone tell me how diesel engines fit in with CAFE, and is the EPA the problem, or does Barry just not have gasoline in him?

- Diesels are treated exactly the same as gas engines. The primary issue preventing widespread adoption of diesels is the cost of compliance w/US emissions regs because, again, diesels are treated exactly the same as gas engines.

- Secondly the EPA is the problem, if you consider more efficient vehicles to be a problem.