Ford's February 2015 Sales Figures

robertlane

I am honestly stumped by this love for the Explorer. It seems to be the least competitive of the higher sales-volume Fords within a market segment. It feels less space efficient than several competitors (Pathfinder, GM Lambda triplets, Durango) as it fits on its old bones while trying to look more like the SUV it used to be.

Since I have purchased my 2014 Explorer my brother has purchased one, a co-worker has purchased one and a boss has purchased one. 2 out of 3 were new. They asked me a few questions about it, but mostly they just said they loved how it looks. One traded off an older Acadia for it and another a 2011 Durango that was trouble prone. They all seem to love their Explorers and think they look great. Sometimes there is something that just connects with people about a vehicle that has nothing to do with "how competitive it is" but more on an emotional level. Last it's an "Explorer" and even with dark spots in its past history its still the "Kleenex" of midsized SUVs. You'd be surprised how many nice compliments I receive on my Explorer and how many people still connect it to the SUVs glory days in the 90's.

Icecapades did a nice job of articulating the supply and market share issue. There has to be a rational balance between years of bleeding red to chase market share, as the company formerly known as GMC did, and being heavily confined by production three-plus years into an up business cycle. Sure there are good excuses, but excuses aren't solutions. No one ever hits the rises and falls of markets perfectly and being on the conservative side of the miss is often the best. Still, Ford is falling further behind in being able to compete with Toyota with new product development over the long-term. This seems unfortunate at a time when there are so many other good things happening, such as being the favored brand by Generation Z.

• Like 1

Tbird..not sure I am with you...Fords releasing 12 performance variants alone, not to mention the new crown jewel f-150, class leading Edge revamp, the new Mustang, new Taurus coming, new hybrid line, 200 mile electric?, new GT, etc....Toyota has introduced what?..a revamped failing tundra?......and the Edge copy Venza is going away to boot...Toyota IS the 900lb Gorilla, but its not conquest sales I can tell you that, and theres literally NOTHING I can personally think of that piques any interest, pretty bland lineup if you ask me.

• Like 1

Since I have purchased my 2014 Explorer my brother has purchased one, a co-worker has purchased one and a boss has purchased one. 2 out of 3 were new. They asked me a few questions about it, but mostly they just said they loved how it looks. One traded off an older Acadia for it and another a 2011 Durango that was trouble prone. They all seem to love their Explorers and think they look great. Sometimes there is something that just connects with people about a vehicle that has nothing to do with "how competitive it is" but more on an emotional level. Last it's an "Explorer" and even with dark spots in its past history its still the "Kleenex" of midsized SUVs. You'd be surprised how many nice compliments I receive on my Explorer and how many people still connect it to the SUVs glory days in the 90's.

I think your explanation is accurate. There is a lot of value in having a stable history of being the volume leader (see Camry). Maybe giving up space and a few other things to maintain the appearance of that linkage to the glory days creates a net-sum gain in volume. I'm guessing a lot of people will more realize the compromises of the current iteration when they buy their next generation Explorer.

Tbird..not sure I am with you...Fords releasing 12 performance variants alone, not to mention the new crown jewel f-150, class leading Edge revamp, the new Mustang, new Taurus coming, new hybrid line, 200 mile electric?, new GT, etc....Toyota has introduced what?..a revamped failing tundra?......and the Edge copy Venza is going away to boot...Toyota IS the 900lb Gorilla, but its not conquest sales I can tell you that, and theres literally NOTHING I can personally think of that piques any interest, pretty bland lineup if you ask me.

It is a few years further out that I would worry about lost market share opportunity in this time period affecting the balance of the corporate battles.

I don't think further out is something Ford is worried about either....new Super Duty, new Explorer, Flex replacement, uniqiue hybrid line ( not revamped gas donors ) Fords decisions of late seem to have been spot on, the company itself is being very astutely run...Ive been involved since 86, and I have to say the lights brighter than I ever remember it....AND the product is damn close to class leading in every segment.

Where is production going to be added? I'm not sure of the status of the ROW plants, but in NA, there really isn't many places to add production without building an all new Facility.

Makes you wonder if they should have mothballed Twin Cities instead of demolishing it.

Twin Cities was one of the oldest plants that Ford had...they would be better off building a new plant instead instead of fixing it up.

Twin Cities was one of the oldest plants that Ford had...they would be better off building a new plant instead instead of fixing it up.

Yes, but so was Dearborn Assembly when the Mustang moved to FRAP and it was converted to F-150 production as DTP. Not to mention the company is doing way better now than it was back then. It would have made more sense to hang on to Twin Cities rather than the money losing Behemoth that was Wixom. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I know, I have one. :) This would be a second. I prefer the preMCE grill, but wish we'd gotten AWD on our '10.

Ahhh yes, I remember (and I recall from your post you said 'another'). I prefer the new grille myself, but to each their own. I think the black with a silver top is the best color combo I have seen.

• Like 1

Yes, but so was Dearborn Assembly when the Mustang moved to FRAP and it was converted to F-150 production as DTP. Not to mention the company is doing way better now than it was back then. It would have made more sense to hang on to Twin Cities rather than the money losing Behemoth that was Wixom.

DTP was totally new plant

Nose dive? It's pretty consistent, no? It's been outselling the C-Max most months (narrowly lost this month).

The Flex is no where to be found. I need to replace my Escape. I'm holding out for the 2015 Edge, but don't love it, so I thought what the heck, get a second Flex. Each dealer within driving distance of me has 1 or 2. None have a two tone (white/silver roof), which is what we'd want, many are Ecoboost, which I'd love, but is more than I'd like to spend.

Depending on how I like the Edge when I sit in it, I may hope the Escape holds out until the 2016 Explorer.

Flex is in tight supply along with Edge because of the 2015 Edge launch. Oakville took downtime in December for facility work to tool up for the 2015 Edge, and to the best of my knowledge hasn't shipped any cars this year. Edge hasn't started shipping to dealers yet that I know of, though I don't know if Flex and MKT are held up as well.

Might be worth ordering the Flex you want.

You know what would be HOT? A new Ford Bronco.

No, No, No Wrangler only sold 12,911 last month.

Ford has Edge, Flex and Expedition...yea right.

What would really be HOT is for Ford to import their Thailand Ranger...yea, that will go over with American truck buyers.

What would really be HOT is for Ford to import their Thailand Ranger...yea, that will go over with American truck buyers.

There is zero reason to since the Ranger 7/8 size of a Short Bed F-150...and the Colorado hasn't been setting the sales charts on fire either.

There is zero reason to since the Ranger 7/8 size of a Short Bed F-150...and the Colorado hasn't been setting the sales charts on fire either.

On a side note, i heard a rumor that a possible CD6 Ranger replacement is due after the rwd Explorer debuts. Take it for what it is.

The van sales... between the 3 models, 14k total vans delivered in one month - wow! Transit is on track to double E-series sales soon.

Where are the E-series mafia? Time for some people to eat crow...

Edited by bzcat

Missed my sarcasm.

I agree.

Besides if it's one thing I hate more than trucklets it's foreign trucklets.

1. F series/Transit are still tranistioning, so capacity is constrained

2. Gas prices have cut compact car sales, GM is cutting hours at their Sonic plant.

So no, Ford is not 'bleeding'. Some look for any excuse to cry 'Ford needs to bring out [insert old style, dated, irrelavent market segment]!

No, a Focus coupe, wagon, new Ranger, new Panther, new MN-12 or Probe will 'save Ford'. There isn't anything wrong.

Honda CR-V is nearly outselling the Camry, so more 'Euro cars' are not the answer, unless US Gov't switches to Euro-zone and forces gas to $7 a gallon. Face it, more buyers simply want cargo room and could not care less about 'spirted driving', manual transes, or 'twisties'.

Also, GM and Fiat are dumping their pickup trucks to get cheapskate, 'I only buy used' buyers, but dumping will cut their profits, and may lead to yet another bailout request.

Edited by 630land