Jalopnik Posted the Continental Concept

That's just it - with transverse engines you're limited as to the position of the front wheels. With longitudinal you're not limited. I agree it doesn't guarantee it, but I bet if it was longitudinal the front wheels would be pushed further ahead.

How in the hell can you possibly tell that based on Taurus spy photos?

The location of the grill and headlights...they aren't going to change much with a new tophat.

I never said they are going to be the same etc...but if you see the concept and look at the Taurus spy shot photos of areas that can't be changed easy (Hardpoints etc) you can see passing resemblance to one another.

I really like it and don't think the interior looks too retro, it looks luxurious. FWIW, I do think the entire shape of the exterior borrows a bit heavily from Bentley for better or for worse. I certainly hope the production version is as dramatic (once the finer points are made production ready).

IMO... if this car cannot ignite some excitement with Lincoln, they might as well close up shop. Because if people don't take notice of this, then nobody is going to buy anything with the Lincoln badge no matter what they put to market.

FWIW, I do think the entire shape of the exterior borrows a bit heavily from Bentley for better or for worse. I certainly hope the production version is as dramatic (once the finer points are made production ready).

Like I said before the only issue I have is with the Grill...as some friends have put it, it looks like a one night stand between an Audi and Chrysler 300 and left on a Lincoln's dealership door LOL

The sunk in grill looks like a first gen 300.

After some hours of contemplation, I keep internally referring to it as a "Jags-Royce". I see plenty of XJ and Rolls-Royce cues, with some admitted Bentley and Audi influence, as well.

This isn't actually a criticism, because it'd be nearly impossible to not show any resemblance to major players in the luxury sedan market while trying to obviously turn some high-brow heads among their clientele.

Kudos on the concept, Lincoln, and I can't wait for more pics to pour in. NOW...make the finished product drive as good as it looks, and make the overall experience a full step forward (or three) for the marque.

There's still the question of if the car will keep the Continental name given how Bentley still uses it.

I think its a non issue as far as the mainstream buying public is concerned. Average joe consumer isn't going to confuse a Lincoln with a Bentley. Average Joe consumer probably isn't even aware that the Bentley is even called a Continental and not just "Bentley". Besides, didn't the two coexist previously?

I think its a non issue as far as the mainstream buying public is concerned. Average joe consumer isn't going to confuse a Lincoln with a Bentley. Average Joe consumer probably isn't even aware that the Bentley is even called a Continental and not just "Bentley". Besides, didn't the two coexist previously?

It's not that it will be confused, it's that Bentley likely has the trademark on that name.

Since Lincoln used it for the concept, I'm sure they cleared it with Bentley and all is well.

It's not that it will be confused, it's that Bentley likely has the trademark on that name.

Since Lincoln used it for the concept, I'm sure they cleared it with Bentley and all is well.

Wait, I don't believe Bentley holds the Continental trademark. I thought Ford retained it but allowed Bentley to use the mark so long as there was another qualifier attached (ie "GT")

The Bently Continental GT first came out in 2003.

Lincoln Continental was first made in 1939.

So the only real question is if Ford/Lincoln KEPT their trademark on the name. I'm betting they did and have allowed Bently to use the name. Not the other way around.

Wait, I don't believe Bentley holds the Continental trademark. I thought Ford retained it but allowed Bentley to use the mark so long as there was another qualifier attached (ie "GT")

You may be correct. I was under the impression that Bentley held the trademark, but I haven't researched.

If this doesn't clearly point to the death of the Lincoln MKS, I don't know what does

Reviving the name also unlocked creativity in the design studio, Fields said. When Lincoln first ordered up a new look for the slow-selling MKS large sedan, the initial renderings were uninspired, Fields said.

“The first couple of themes weren’t lighting us on fire,” Fields recalled. “When we decided to call it Continental and we told the team that in a design review, everybody’s head snapped. They said, ‘OK, now we have our North Star on this.’”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-30/lincoln-revives-continental-name-to-reverse-decades-of-decline

If this doesn't clearly point to the death of the Lincoln MKS, I don't know what does

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-30/lincoln-revives-continental-name-to-reverse-decades-of-decline

Well, comments like that seem to point to it being FWD based.

----

I love pretty much everything about it - my only comment on it is the grille - but not the star mesh part, but rather the bump in the lower center. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Otherwise, it looks fantastic. I love the rear especially and the illuminated logo. Also they stole my idea of the "lights through chrome" or whatever they called it.... >:(