Ford Fusion spied in souped-up ST trim

Late next year for the Fusion? That thing better have a solid refresh. It will be pushing 4 years old and will be by far the oldest midsize on the market. A simple grille change will not cut it.

Going off the topic for a bit, I'm hoping the interior gets updated. I'm presuming the outside won't change too much but it'll be noticable enough. Back to Fusion ST: I hope it's an ST, I'm betting a EB23 (please have a manual option) while the MKZ gets the EB23 and EB27. I'm not seeing a 'Fusion Sport' here, I think that should go to the CUV/SUV group. Just IMHO.

Going off the topic for a bit, I'm hoping the interior gets updated. I'm presuming the outside won't change too much but it'll be noticable enough. Back to Fusion ST: I hope it's an ST, I'm betting a EB23 (please have a manual option) while the MKZ gets the EB23 and EB27. I'm not seeing a 'Fusion Sport' here, I think that should go to the CUV/SUV group. Just IMHO.

Well, there was a Fusion Sport in the first gen model (both the original and refreshed model). But I agree it should be an ST to fit in with the rest of the car lineup. With Sport (Edge and Explorer so far) should stick with the SUVs.

• Like 1

Well going on the brakes alone on this mule/prototype, we can assume that more has been done to it then just calling it a Sport and putting a more powerful engine in it. The last gen Fusion Sport just had the 3.5L in it and I don't believe it got any other additional performance upgrades?

As for engine sizes, what about the rumored 3L Ecoboost engine that is supposed to be in the Continental? I'm assuming its the stroked version of the 2.7L V6 ecoboost. Having the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost in the MKZ sport or whatever they call it (is there even really demand for this??) would be enough to keep it different then Fusion ST.

If I had my way, I'd rather use the Focus RS 2.3L Ecoboost...lighter weight and nearly the same performance as the 2.7L. the 2.7L beats it in Torque but only by 25 or so Ft lbs when the engine is in overboost mode.

• Like 1

First off, what would be wrong with 275 HP 2.3 EB basically replacing the 2.0 EB in Fusion and MKZ?

That would give a nice power increase to both cars while leaving open the 350 HP 2.7 EB for ST and high series MKZ.

Heck, we can dream.. :)

Edited by jpd80

First off, what would be wrong with 275 HP 2.3 EB basically replacing the 2.0 EB in Fusion and MKZ?

That would give a nice power increase to both cars while leaving open the 350 HP 2.7 EB for ST and high series MKZ.

Heck, we can dream.. :)

Most likely change will be the EB20 moving to Gen II a la Edge.

Well going on the brakes alone on this mule/prototype, we can assume that more has been done to it then just calling it a Sport and putting a more powerful engine in it. The last gen Fusion Sport just had the 3.5L in it and I don't believe it got any other additional performance upgrades?

As for engine sizes, what about the rumored 3L Ecoboost engine that is supposed to be in the Continental? I'm assuming its the stroked version of the 2.7L V6 ecoboost. Having the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost in the MKZ sport or whatever they call it (is there even really demand for this??) would be enough to keep it different then Fusion ST.

If I had my way, I'd rather use the Focus RS 2.3L Ecoboost...lighter weight and nearly the same performance as the 2.7L. the 2.7L beats it in Torque but only by 25 or so Ft lbs when the engine is in overboost mode.

The 3.0L ecoboost is Lincoln only.

Thinking that Ford will do the least disruptive changes, why would Ford bother with an EB 3.0

when the 2.7 EB is here now and the redesigned EB 3.5 is almost here?

I can imagine 2.7 EB replacing 3.7 in the current MKZ and the Fusion ST getting the 2.3 EB

and perhaps the Titanium gets a 2.3 option as well

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Thinking that Ford will do the least disruptive changes, why would Ford bother with an EB 3.0

when the 2.7 EB is here now and the redesigned EB 3.5 is almost here?

I can imagine 2.7 EB replacing 3.7 in the current MKZ and the Fusion ST getting the 2.3 EB

and perhaps the Titanium gets a 2.3 option as well

Sounds reasonable and realistic. Just from a NA perspective, if we can't have the EB15 in the Focus, it doesn't look good to have the EB23 as an option for the TI. Just my HO

Sounds reasonable and realistic. Just from a NA perspective, if we can't have the EB15 in the Focus, it doesn't look good to have the EB23 as an option for the TI. Just my HO

The ROW Focus a1.5 EB is around 150 hp so maybe FNA is waiting for the 1.2 EB with similar power but better economy?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Didn't Ford say some time ago that the EB V6's would be Lincoln only? Or did they see how power wise the competition is stepping up and now going back on that and throwing in EB V6s for sport models on Fords?

I think that was before we saw the 2.7 EB and the impact it's having on buyers.

The capacity is jsut enough to be above an I-4 EB while being even smoother.

EB V6 is now in Edge and Explorer, I know they're Utilities but the pulling power of that

little 2.7 and the 3.5 engine is fantastic..:)

Edited by jpd80

Didn't Ford say some time ago that the EB V6's would be Lincoln only? Or did they see how power wise the competition is stepping up and now going back on that and throwing in EB V6s for sport models on Fords?

F150, Taurus SHO and Explorer had the 3.5L EB for many years now. Edge and F150 get the 2.7L EB for 2015. So I don't think so.

Only thing I heard was what fuzzy said - the 3.0L EB would be Lincoln only but I'm not sure that will be true for long.

F150, Taurus SHO and Explorer had the 3.5L EB for many years now. Edge and F150 get the 2.7L EB for 2015. So I don't think so.

Only thing I heard was what fuzzy said - the 3.0L EB would be Lincoln only but I'm not sure that will be true for long.

They mentioned Lincoln-exclusive powertrains years ago, but the EBs were always intended to be high-volume mills. Before the EB35 hit the roads, Ford was talking about the EB engine family comprising a very large percentage of Ford's engine production (over half, IIRC), which couldn't happen if they were to be exclusive to Lincoln.

I'm surprised the 3.7 wasn't boosted for use in Lincolns.