November 2015 Sales/Charts

Strong F-Series, Van Demand Boosts Truck Sales to Best November since 2007; New Products Grow Year-to-Date Sales

• Ford Motor Company U.S. sales of 187,794 vehicles, up slightly at 0.4 percent versus last November

• F-Series retail sales increase 16 percent, driving total F-Series sales to a 10 percent gain, with commercial vans up 59 percent; best November Ford Truck performance in eight years

• All-new Edge sales up 6 percent; new Explorer up 1 percent on strong demand for new high-end Platinum series

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 1, 2015 – Ford Motor Company November U.S. sales totaled 187,794 vehicles, up slightly at 0.4 percent compared to a year ago.

Through November, overall Ford sales are up 5 percent versus the same period a year ago.

Ford’s lower incentive spending and strong model series mix in November boosted average transaction prices $3,800 versus year-ago levels – the largest gain among any major automaker. Ford cars, SUVs and trucks all delivered higher transaction prices.

“We saw strong customer demand for our cars and SUVs with the latest technology and sold a very rich mix in November,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “F-Series and commercial vans also were very strong, with an 18 percent gain for the month and our best November sales performance for Ford Trucks in eight years.”

F-Series sales totaled 65,192 trucks in November, with retail sales increasing 16 percent and a 10 percent total F-Series gain.

Ford commercial van sales increased 59 percent, with 17,815 vehicles sold last month. November’s van performance marked Ford’s best November sales month since 1984. The all-new Transit sales totaled 9,584, almost doubling year-ago sales. Transit Connect sales of 4,237 vans reached best-ever November sales, a 94 percent increase.

All-new Edge delivered a 6 percent increase versus a year ago, with 8,137 vehicles sold. Ford’s new Explorer sales gained 1 percent last month, with 15,141 SUVs sold, marking its best November since 2004.

Embarrassing showing from Focus, with a 24% drop from last years less-than-spectacular number.

Sure, gas is cheap, but 11k units is pathetic.

I see why they bailed out of the F&F promotion early. It doesn't appear to be doing anything decent for sales.

The RS will help, but so would a lower priced gas powered C-max and Focus Wagon.

• Like 1

Embarrassing showing from Focus, with a 24% drop from last years less-than-spectacular number.

Sure, gas is cheap, but 11k units is pathetic.

I see why they bailed out of the F&F promotion early. It doesn't appear to be doing anything decent for sales.

Probably doesn't help that not much changed in the refresh.

---

Look at Transit Connect (and Transit for that matter) go!

---

MKC sales down. I guess MKX is stealing sales from it? Somewhat frustrating to see that happening.

Edited by rmc523

It is all good, every MKC not sold means one more MKX and Escape can be sold.

Oh yeah, I know they'd rather sell a (more expensive) MKX than an MKC, but still, it'd be nice to see both the C and X with an upward trajectory. Total yearly sales are skewed (up 104%) because last year was its' first year, right?

• Like 1

"We saw strong customer demand for our cars and SUVs with the latest technology and sold a very rich mix in November,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president."

How can he say this when car and SUV sales were both down? Is he saying that only the models with latest technology options are strong and entry level are not?

Flat sales but wow - $3800 increase in ATPs? That's around a $600M revenue increase in one month!

Cheap credit - capitalize on it while you can!

That binge has to end soon, free money from the Fed's printing press cannot go on forever. Problem is both Wall Street and Main Street are addicted to it. Even the hint of raising rates sends shivers into the bankers and consumer's spines - like threatening to take drugs away from a junkie. China just cracked the door open on the word's reserve currency, that has to be a sign that changes are on the way.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Cheap credit - capitalize on it while you can!

That binge has to end soon, free money from the Fed's printing press cannot go on forever. Problem is both Wall Street and Main Street are addicted to it. Even the hint of raising rates sends shivers into the bankers and consumer's spines - like threatening to take drugs away from a junkie. China just cracked the door open on the word's reserve currency, that has to be a sign that changes are on the way.

The Fed will be raising interest rates this month, only real question if it will be a quarter or half point increase.

Focus wagons would not sell, period. This ain't $10 a gallon petrol EUR. And even if gas goes up, buyers will demand hybird CUV's.

Face it, station wagons are for a 'cult' elite buyer. Want one so bad, go get a VW.

Even Volvo isn't known for selling them anymore.

Cheap gas = loads of bigger 'cars' sold. Average buyer today sees a CUV/SUV as a "car", no way around that.

• Like 1

Probably doesn't help that not much changed in the refresh.

---

Look at Transit Connect (and Transit for that matter) go!

---

MKC sales down. I guess MKX is stealing sales from it? Somewhat frustrating to see that happening.

1. Agree on Focus... the refresh was not enough to generate new showroom traffic. Compact car buyers are just sitting on the sideline waiting for the new Civic.

2. Ford is on pace to exceed 50k Transit Connect this year. Not bad for something imported from the Euro zone! Ford needs to figure out how to make this thing in NAFTA zone for the next generation.

3. MKC had big October and November last year when many dealer first got enough inventory to have cars in showroom and sales went over 2,000 units for the first time. My parents bought their MKX in November 2014 after waiting weeks to actually have one that was not pre-sold for test drive. I don't think it is losing sales to MKX. 1,800~2,000 units range is probably the nature sales rate without pent up demand.

1. Agree on Focus... the refresh was not enough to generate new showroom traffic. Compact car buyers are just sitting on the sideline waiting for the new Civic.

How many buyers are getting Escapes instead? How has the C car market been the past year and half with sales? Gas is "cheap" and older buyers are buying more C class SUVs (the new Crown Vic for the 55+ retirement set) and people in their 20s don't seem like the can even afford a new car these days...which is one of the primary markets for smaller vehicles.

How many buyers are getting Escapes instead?

Probably a lot fewer than buyers getting Civics and Corollas instead. Sales of both those models exceeded 24,000 in November 2015 and 300,000 for the first eleven months of the year.

The current U.S. market Ford Focus has a poor record for reliability and customer satisfaction (among the worst in the C-segment), which partially explain its sub-par sales performance recently.

I wonder though whether the product mix is swing towards higher trim levels but resulting in fewer sales...

2. Ford is on pace to exceed 50k Transit Connect this year. Not bad for something imported from the Euro zone! Ford needs to figure out how to make this thing in NAFTA zone for the next generation.

I wonder if Ford had their time over whether it would have chosen Transit Connect production over C-Max,

I mean shoot, even the TC wagon with hybrid and energi would probably sell in similar numbers as C-Max

and the commercial van production and sales would have been cream on top.

3. MKC had big October and November last year when many dealer first got enough inventory to have cars in showroom and sales went over 2,000 units for the first time. My parents bought their MKX in November 2014 after waiting weeks to actually have one that was not pre-sold for test drive. I don't think it is losing sales to MKX. 1,800~2,000 units range is probably the nature sales rate without pent up demand.

Could it be that by Lincoln now having MKC there. it draws some sales away from MKX,

I'm hoping that the future Continental grille upgrade will prove me wrong and boost sales

I'm kind of infatuated with the idea of converting the D3/4 side at Oakville into an Explorer/Aviator overflow plant..

it wouldn't take that much to change over especially with staying D3 which will be changing in a few years.

Edited by jpd80

I'm kind of infatuated with the idea of converting the D3/4 side at Oakville into an Explorer/Aviator overflow plant..

it wouldn't take that much to change over especially with staying D3 which will be changing in a few years.

Is your proposal saying an overflow plant for the post-D4 (i.e. CD6) Explorer/Aviator? Or as an existing D4 overflow plant (at which point there is no D4 Aviator).

Assuming the former, that's probably not that unrealistic, however, I wonder how they're viewing potential export volume of the Edge/MKX. Though you also have to consider that if/when (D4) Taurus is dropped with the move away from D4, that will free up some production space at Chicago for Explorer/Aviator.

If it's the latter, one thing you're not considering though is that the Flex/MKT have a longer wheelbase than Explorer....now I don't know if that'd be that much of a factor, but it seems like a lot of work to make a stopgap Explorer overflow plant for a few years, just to replace it again with CD6. And that also means immediately dropping Flex/MKT.

Sorry, I didn't explain that too well..

Probably unrealistic given the time line but thinking that having two plants would give Ford the opportunity to continue

building D3 Explorers at Oakville while CAP is down switching to CD6, CAP comes on line and then Oakville goes

down and back up - a bit like F150 at Dearborn and kansas City but with less drama..

Apologies in advance because compared to MKT, I have no shame when it comes to bringing an Aviator,

even if it was a thinly disguised D3 Explorer Titanium with new Continental grille, a place holder until 2018...

There's still a lot of D3 Explorer sales to be had, just wanting Ford to cash in hard and grow volume ahead

of the switch over.... probably stupid and greedy but what the heck..:)

Edited by jpd80