Now that Ford and FCA have embraced The Dial™, will it become an industry standard?

I'll sit this debate out. I don't have a non-crotchety opinion on this one.

Than you most likely share my opinion. I'd rather have a nice shifter to rest my palm on. If my car is suddenly rolling backwards because I forgot to put it in park, you damn well know I'm not going to be fiddling with a dial.

• Like 1

Than you most likely share my opinion. I'd rather have a nice shifter to rest my palm on. If my car is suddenly rolling backwards because I forgot to put it in park, you damn well know I'm not going to be fiddling with a dial.

Automatics roll backwards in neutral?

Keeping that in mind...I know my car tells me if I'm not in park when I shut it off.

I noticed that too. And I really dont see the dial taking any less room either than a short shifter, but at least it's visible unlike BMW which has a stubby little thumb like lever behind a steering wheel. I love how my hand falls perfectly on the shiftgate on my LS. On the MKX I end up holding my phone instead, or grabbing my crotch...

• Like 2

Automatics roll backwards in neutral?

Keeping that in mind...I know my car tells me if I'm not in park when I shut it off.

You haven't seen my driveway.

Funny thing happened to me at work the other day. I pull up to the office and pull into a spot. I reach forward to grab my iPhone off the mount on my windshield and suddenly I get jerked forward against the steering wheel. I had forgotten to take the car out of Drive and put it in Park. When I reached forward to grab my phone, I lifted my foot off the brake and the car rolled forward and the tires bumped the concrete parking barrier. Lesson learned: don't drive before coffee.

Well, it wasn't that funny.

Absolutely this trend will continue for many main stream brands and models. Price is a premium for space in the center console much like an end cap in retail continues to be.

When I was 12 years old I came across a bunch of junk cars and one of them was a Chrysler Imperial (?) From the early 60's that had the auto transmission buttons on the left side and I have often wondered why this did not continue.

When I was 12 years old I came across a bunch of junk cars and one of them was a Chrysler Imperial (?) From the early 60's that had the auto transmission buttons on the left side and I have often wondered why this did not continue.

My old man told me the buttons used to stick in them...they didn't have the manufacturing tolerances or electronics of today.

I noticed that too. And I really dont see the dial taking any less room either than a short shifter, but at least it's visible unlike BMW which has a stubby little thumb like lever behind a steering wheel. I love how my hand falls perfectly on the shiftgate on my LS. On the MKX I end up holding my phone instead, or grabbing my crotch...

Mercedes is the one with the stubby stalk. BMW has an electronic shifter on the console:

• Like 1

Jaguar uses a dial as well. I must say that I find the lack of an upright shifter a bit strange but I feel an electronic e-brake is strange too. OTOH, electronic shifters, brakes and other technologies are coming along. I just chalk it up to progress right or wrong.

My 13 MKZ has the push button shifters and I acclimated to them pretty quickly except for one time. A girl was backing out of a parking place at a CVS as I was approaching and as I stopped she kept backing up, instinctively I reached for the console shifter and in a split second remembered the buttons. That split second cost me a front fascia hit by a 20 year old girl in a ragged old Jeep Wrangler with no insurance. I still love the push buttons but I still reach for that shifter from time to time.

• Like 2

My 13 MKZ has the push button shifters and I acclimated to them pretty quickly except for one time. A girl was backing out of a parking place at a CVS as I was approaching and as I stopped she kept backing up, instinctively I reached for the console shifter and in a split second remembered the buttons. That split second cost me a front fascia hit by a 20 year old girl in a ragged old Jeep Wrangler with no insurance. I still love the push buttons but I still reach for that shifter from time to time.

I agree. My MKZ push button shifter is awesome.

Instances like that are when I would truly miss an actual shifter. It's so quick and easy and you don't even have to look. Whether I'm in my truck with the column shifter or the Flex with the console shifter, it's easy to tell what gear it's in just by feel.

• Like 1

Well, in 1965, right after Chrysler had push buttons, the PRNDL1L2 lever positions were standardized. Will NHTSA do same for dials?

Also, I remember being a porter at small rental car place, and this older lady refused to drive with a floor mounted AUTOMATIC trans. She swore up and down that "it was a standard trans and too hard to learn" and didn't rent the car. It had to have a column shifter or else. This was a Chevette, we were out of Novas, and she also refused to pay more for a Malibu with column, she came in for the 'cheapest car'.

So, point is, to others complaining about these dials, don't be like this lady. i.e. "I dont want to learn nothing new"

[it was 1978, and lady was maybe 65 ish, same age as Boomers today]

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Well, in 1965, right after Chrysler had push buttons, the PRNDL1L2 lever positions were standardized. Will NHTSA do same for dials?

I don't understand your comment here. All the dials use the PRNDL setup.

The ones that differ are the electronic "stick" shifters that have park buttons and holding buttons and pulling it to engage gears. (See BMW's gear selector)

2007-BMW-X5-Gear-Shifter-1280x960.jpg