Ford Motor Company January 2016 Sales Results - total U.S. sales of 173,723 vehicles declined 3 percent last month versus a year ago.

That rumor has been going around since Labor Day.

The retirement incentive paperwork going around the Rouge is saying members have to retire and be out by May 1st. International is saying the real date is December 1st. Rumor is the MAP and Rouge Union leadership is trying to get everybody gone early because by May 1st MAP will be on one shift and they are trying to make room for laid off members, especially people related to Union higher-ups.

The retirement incentive paperwork going around the Rouge is saying members have to retire and be out by May 1st. International is saying the real date is December 1st. Rumor is the MAP and Rouge Union leadership is trying to get everybody gone early because by May 1st MAP will be on one shift and they are trying to make room for laid off members, especially people related to Union higher-ups.

Great, sound like I'll be stuck in purgatory even longer....

In Europe. I don't think we saw it until 2010.

Wasn't it 2011 MY? I remember randomly seeing 3 of the Euro versions here in downtown Fort Lauderdale when they were doing that Fiesta Challenge (I think that's what it was called) before we got it here. I was able to drive one down Las Olas and back to where we started, I thought it was a cool program, especially considering what the rest of Ford's car lineup was like at that time.

Edited by rmc523

Wasn't it 2011 MY? I remember randomly seeing 3 of the Euro versions here in downtown Fort Lauderdale when they were doing that Fiesta Challenge (I think that's what it was called) before we got it here. I was able to drive one down Las Olas and back to where we started, I thought it was a cool program, especially considering what the rest of Ford's car lineup was like at that time.

Yes, June 2010 for the 2011 MY.

Fiesta was introduced in 2008 for MY 2009. It came to NA for MY 2011 in 2010. MCE was MY 2015. I have to say B and C are struggling because of gas prices more than anything else. It also doesn't change that B and C cars are big sellers around the world.

• Like 1

. I have to say B and C are struggling because of gas prices more than anything else.

You can spin it to feel better, but it is what grbeck said in #16

• All-new 2016 Honda Civic, the 2016 North American Car of the Year, defies winter weather and competition to net huge sales gain of 54.9 percent and a new January record

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-honda-civic-sets-new-january-sales-record.1705/

• Like 2

At least the Focus isn't getting killed off like the Dart and 200! The Sterling Hts Chrysler plant is down for 6 weeks.

Fiat will drop the Chrysler/Dodge brands too, I predict, to save Italian makes. Mopar fans will hyper-ventilate. But should have thought about building better cars since the Volare days! They go on and on about how great the LH/Cloud cars were, but they fell apart, just like the '79 St. Regis [what a dumb name] tanks.

How many times do they have to get 'saved'?

Isn't the Mark 4 Focus coming in 2018? Why panic? Ford made huge profits last year.

I driven/owned K era Chryslers with nearly 200,000 mi on them (and turbo btw), ran great when I had to part with the ones i'd owned financially. Nail on the head with the Cloud/LH cars. Other then the base models you don't see them anymore, probably more K based cars are still on the road then the LH/Clouds.

Not that I'll make excuses for the cloud cars, but I will say I rarely see any Contours of that era still running around. I did see one about a week ago, was the base GL model which looked like a hot mess, and did see a '02 Cougar as well (V6) which was actually very well taken care of. Maybe they just weren't worth keeping around. I do see more than usual Tbird/Cougar of that era though. Just saw one on I-4 today doing a good 75-80 with me for quite awhile, other than some trim pieces and obvious paintjob it looked good. I tend to see a large number of them than I do Contours of the time.

Not that I'll make excuses for the cloud cars, but I will say I rarely see any Contours of that era still running around. I did see one about a week ago, was the base GL model which looked like a hot mess, and did see a '02 Cougar as well (V6) which was actually very well taken care of. Maybe they just weren't worth keeping around. I do see more than usual Tbird/Cougar of that era though. Just saw one on I-4 today doing a good 75-80 with me for quite awhile, other than some trim pieces and obvious paintjob it looked good. I tend to see a large number of them than I do Contours of the time.

Many "long lasting" Cvacs, Cammy, Accordion and Korollas from the 1 gen Contour days have swapped engines, 2nd transmissions, radiators, etc... It's the perception of long-lasting that they carrying today but don't get me wrong they were better put together or better fuel efficiency then many domestic competition at the time.

I do see many GM A,J,H,W and rwd B body cars with original powertrain from that era as well as Ford Panther and Fox cars on the road today.

Doesn't matter - Honda has had lots of troubles in the past few years. The general public perception is still very high, and the average consumer somehow still likes that generic Asian styling - as if this is what a car is supposed to look like. My sister's family will only buy a Honda, regardless of their recent troubles. Their customers are extremely loyal - like Subaru.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Many "long lasting" Cvacs, Cammy, Accordion and Korollas from the 1 gen Contour days have swapped engines, 2nd transmissions, radiators, etc... It's the perception of long-lasting that they carrying today but don't get me wrong they were better put together or better fuel efficiency then many domestic competition at the time.

I do see many GM A,J,H,W and rwd B body cars with original powertrain from that era as well as Ford Panther and Fox cars on the road today.

Resale Value has alot to do with when a vehicle is scraped. It makes sense to replace an engine on a 10 year old civic while it doesn't on a 10 year old Focus.

At least the Focus isn't getting killed off like the Dart and 200! The Sterling Hts Chrysler plant is down for 6 weeks.

Fiat will drop the Chrysler/Dodge brands too, I predict, to save Italian makes. Mopar fans will hyper-ventilate. But should have thought about building better cars since the Volare days!

I don't see them axing Chrysler with them just rolling out a new Pacifica. Not sure what Dodge will look like in 5 years though.

For where they are at it is an excellent move since they really can't afford to have any loss leaders.

Resale Value has alot to do with when a vehicle is scraped. It makes sense to replace an engine on a 10 year old civic while it doesn't on a 10 year old Focus.

With close to 90% of Focus being sold with a transmission likely to be troublesome as mileage increases, Focus resale is bound to take abig hit on top of those issues. The upside is that there will be plenty of Escapes to choose from to keep focus off the radar

I think it's better to focus on the positive, it's not like Ford's top selling products have issues with inventory volume

but as deanh has often said, getting decent supplies to the west is really difficult, something Ford really needs

to get on top and make happen. Sure freight it tight but maybe a little batter forward planning would help.

Edited by jpd80

Doesn't matter - Honda has had lots of troubles in the past few years. The general public perception is still very high, and the average consumer somehow still likes that generic Asian styling - as if this is what a car is supposed to look like. My sister's family will only buy a Honda, regardless of their recent troubles. Their customers are extremely loyal - like Subaru.

We have a 2003 Honda Accord EX four-cylinder sedan and a 2005 Focus SE sedan. The Accord has 246,000 miles on the odometer and the Focus has 221,000 miles on the odometer.

Neither car has had any engine or transmission problems (both cars have an automatic transmission). The Focus has been slightly more reliable than the Accord, but both have been more reliable than the GM and Chrysler cars owned by friends and relatives. And they both have been more reliable than our neighbor's 2006 Ford Edge.

Where the Accord shines is in how it is aging. The engine and transmission are still smooth, quiet and reasonably peppy, and the interior doesn't have any squeaks and rattles. In that respect, it's better than our Focus. Honda's reputation as a maker of fine engines is being upheld with that car.

Edited by grbeck

We have a 2003 Honda Accord EX four-cylinder sedan and a 2005 Focus SE sedan. The Accord has 246,000 miles on the odometer and the Focus has 221,000 miles on the odometer.

Neither car has had any engine or transmission problems (both cars have an automatic transmission). The Focus has been slightly more reliable than the Accord, but both have been more reliable than the GM and Chrysler cars owned by friends and relatives. And they both have been more reliable than our neighbor's 2006 Ford Edge.

Where the Accord shines is in how it is aging. The engine and transmission are still smooth, quiet and reasonably peppy, and the interior doesn't have any squeaks and rattles. In that respect, it's better than our Focus. Honda's reputation as a maker of fine engines is being upheld with that car.

And the Honda was much more expensive to buy.

With close to 90% of Focus being sold with a transmission likely to be troublesome as mileage increases, Focus resale is bound to take abig hit on top of those issues. The upside is that there will be plenty of Escapes to choose from to keep focus off the radar

Too bad this reputation has emerged and will take years to overcome - I rented a brand new Focus this past summer with 2500 miles on the clock and it was hands down the nicest small car I have ever driven. My wife -who is very picky and would not even consider anything with the Ford logo on it even commented on how modern and appealing the car was.

My co-worker who swears by only Japanese brands was buying a car for his daughter and commented - we both love the Focus but they have serious transmission problems so crossed off the list. She ended up with a Mazda 3.

Edited by Kev-Mo