Ford Motor Company 2017 May Sales Figures

Total up 2.2%

Highlights:

 Ford Motor Company’s overall U.S. sales for May 2017 totaled 241,126 vehicles, a 2.2 percent gain compared to last year

 Retail results declined 0.8 percent, with 158,282 vehicle sales

 Fleet sales totaled 82,844 vehicles, representing an 8.4 percent gain versus a year ago

 Ford’s average transaction pricing increased $2,100 last month, significantly outpacing an overall industry increase of $500*

 Ford F-Series sales of 76,027 pickups increased 12.8 percent last month, for the best May results in 13 years. F-Series also saw a $3,300 increase in average transaction pricing*

 Ford brand SUVs set May record, with 74,910 vehicles sold – up 4.2 percent versus a year ago

 Ford Explorer sales increased 20.7 percent, with 22,715 SUVs sold, marking the vehicle’s best May performance in 13 years

 Ford Expedition sales of 5,758 SUVs were up 13.9 percent last month

 Ford Edge sales increased 11.0 percent, with 13,752 vehicles sold

 Lincoln retail sales increased 9.7 percent in May, marking the brand’s 16th straight month of yearover-year sales gains

This has always been a very style-conscious segment, and the Mustang is no longer "new." One wonders, however, if Ford will have to put the Mustang on a shared platform to keep it viable, if the swing away from passenger cars continues.

This has always been a very style-conscious segment, and the Mustang is no longer "new." One wonders, however, if Ford will have to put the Mustang on a shared platform to keep it viable, if the swing away from passenger cars continues.

Given that most CUVs are basically "tall wagons", there should be a way to keep the Mustang viable on a shared platform.

Good to see Lincoln back positive after a couple of slightly down months. And over 10,000 sold too, something they didn't do at all last year aside from December, which obviously always has inflated numbers. The new Navigator should give the brand a shot in the arm at the end of the year (and next year of course).

MKC continues to rise, while MKX would be down the whole year if it weren't for a big January. It'd be nice to see it push past the 3,000 level consistently. It's a great vehicle, I wonder why it isn't doing better. It'll be interesting to see what the new face will do for sales when it comes.

--

As for Ford, nice to see Edge bump up. Like MKX, its sales haven't been gaining traction for some reason either. I wonder why that is?

Explorer with a nice (random) bump. Trucks keep chugging along nicely.

Considering they did the S197 Mustang in 2005 and only expecting 100K or so sales a year on its own platform, I'd say Ford has the code cracked on how to make a profit off it.

I have some reservations about it sharing a platform since it seems like most coupes based off a sedan platform have weight issues and other compromises to them. Not saying it can't be done, just have reservations.

Also keep mind the 2018 Mustang is launching in a couple months and Ford doesn't offer much, if any incentives to move them now.

• Like 1

Considering they did the S197 Mustang in 2005 and only expecting 100K or so sales a year on its own platform, I'd say Ford has the code cracked on how to make a profit off it.

They absolutely do not build more than they need. They build to a number every shift, even if it only takes 6 hours instead of 8. Lately they've only been working 8 regardless of whether they hit the number or not.

Also sharing a line with the Continental helps.

• Like 1

F-Series also saw a $3,300 increase in average transaction pricing

It's on pace to sell ~850k this year.

That's $2.8 BILLION in extra revenue just on increased ATP on the F-Series alone (if it were to continue that for a full year). WOW! It's easy to see why the trucks get such a focus from Ford.

Taurus/PI sales up? Maybe some realized it was still for sale and ran to get one before they kill it?

Also, Stangs are exported globally, so that helps. But what's changed is today's younger buyers get a Jeep Wrangler, CUV, or pickup for "first new car after collage" instead of sporty coupes. Don't expect a "Fusion Coupe", ever.

F-series sales are on fire... the rest not so much.

The car side of business is starting to remind me of 2003-2006 period when Ford decided to left Focus and Taurus to rot in their own graves and not do anything to update them.

• Like 1

But other brands car sales are down too, so cant say Ford is "letting them rot". Mazda 6, from the "Car Guy Brand" is certainly not "fresh" by any means.

And Fiat's Dart/200 are not "rotting" either, they are DOA! Rather have that? New cars are coming, just not a priority when buyers empty wallets on anything called a "truck".

FYI: The 2006 Taurus was "left to rot" since they had a new mid sized car called Fusion out that year.

Edited by 630land

But what's changed is today's younger buyers get a Jeep Wrangler, CUV, or pickup for "first new car after collage" instead of sporty coupes. Don't expect a "Fusion Coupe", ever.

Agreed - but they are not choosing a Ford.

From what I see it is a Hyundai/Kia CUV or a Toyota Tacoma pickup.

But what's changed is today's younger buyers get a Jeep Wrangler, CUV, or pickup for "first new car after collage" instead of sporty coupes. Don't expect a "Fusion Coupe", ever.

Agreed - but they are not choosing a Ford.

From what I see it is a Hyundai/Kia CUV or a Toyota Tacoma pickup.

Taco especially..its amaseing how much brand loyalty hyundai and kia have generated in last 15 years...

Ford is missing the mark in marketing to these young buyers, and in my opinion especially women.

No doubt..completly on board with marketing failure to women..but the caveat here is women are just as much steering purchase towards suv's and bigger trucks on the idea of those being inherently safer to drive..ford hasent completly jumped the shark here but room to improve especially at the dealership sales level...women dread dealing for car purchase...foreign guys seem to be much better at perseption than domestics

The car side of business is starting to remind me of 2003-2006 period when Ford decided to left Focus and Taurus to rot in their own graves and not do anything to update them.

Focus did get a refresh in 2015 and is scheduled a replacement in the next 24 months or less.

Well the Taurus...no comments...nothing has been done to the car since 2013MY....though I can't remember if they added the 2L that year or 2014?