Ford Motor Company 2017 May Sales Figures

Taco especially..its amaseing how much brand loyalty hyundai and kia have generated in last 15 years...

In their defense, today's Hyundai and Kias are much better than their predacessors. However, it amazes me how quickly people are willing to forgive and forget the junk they were putting out. It seems like they are a lot more forgiving to them than the domestics for past transgressions.

• Like 2

In their defense, today's Hyundai and Kias are much better than their predacessors. However, it amazes me how quickly people are willing to forgive and forget the junk they were putting out. It seems like they are a lot more forgiving to them than the domestics for past transgressions.

I would assume most current Hyundai/Kia owners did not previously own one of those earlier pieces of junk so there is nothing for them to forget. Whereas Ford and GM and Chrysler have tens if not hundreds of millions of previous owners who had terrible ownership experiences. That's the downside of having huge market share for so long. If you screw up you affect a lot of people.

The only people I see who still have that opinion of Ford and GM at least are those who had a terrible Detroit vehicle back in the 80s or 90s and who switched to Honda or Toyota and have never looked at any of the current products from Ford or GM.

Hundai/Kia is selling on price...and the Tacoma is more or less a no show on the East Coast..I barely see Colorado's also. its all full Size pickups and SUV/CUVs

Taco's aren't that big in the norther plains either. Doesn't help when it's 100+ miles between dealers.

Fusion projects to be down roughly 46% from 2 years ago. Are you suggesting that the car market overall is down 46% the last 2 years. Camry is only down about 17%. Accord is closer to Fusion.

Toyota is also on a much more aggressive update schedule for the Camry than Ford is with the Fusion. That's going to play a big part in why those numbers are the way they are.

Fusion projects to be down roughly 46% from 2 years ago. Are you suggesting that the car market overall is down 46% the last 2 years. Camry is only down about 17%. Accord is closer to Fusion.

It is surprising to see the Accord down that much as well, as it is a good car. There clearly are factors that have nothing to do with these cars affecting the sales.

It is surprising to see the Accord down that much as well, as it is a good car. There clearly are factors that have nothing to do with these cars affecting the sales.

Accord is older in the market and should start to pickup when the 2018 starts production with the new style. Also Honda could switch people to the CRV faster than Toyota could do with the RAV4.

That really holds true for the 2017 CRV it is a great vehicle. Being Honda loyal and walk into a dealership you see the old Accord of the new CRV, most walk out with the CRV.

Did you just read the thread on "Lawsuits" for Ford transmissions? I would think you would want Ford buyers to be "forgiving " as well......

Interesting to note just how close the Ford and GMcompact, mid size and sports car sales are:

Focus...........17,244 (17,455) (-1.2%)

Cruze...........17,120 (16,671) (+2.7%)

Fusion...........21,603 (24,589) (-12.1%)

Malibu...........20,718 (24,202) (-14.4%)

Mustang...........7,895 (10,327) (-23.5%)

Camaro............7,841 (5,827) (+34.6%)

considering that the GM products are much newer, I think Ford has cause

to be optimistic about the coming upgrades with its vehicles.

In the wash up, these products don't generate anywhere near the massive

profits of F Series and Ford's Utilities but that shouldn't be reason to allow

those cars to drift and become less desirable to buyers....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I would assume most current Hyundai/Kia owners did not previously own one of those earlier pieces of junk so there is nothing for them to forget. Whereas Ford and GM and Chrysler have tens if not hundreds of millions of previous owners who had terrible ownership experiences. That's the downside of having huge market share for so long. If you screw up you affect a lot of people.

The only people I see who still have that opinion of Ford and GM at least are those who had a terrible Detroit vehicle back in the 80s or 90s and who switched to Honda or Toyota and have never looked at any of the current products from Ford or GM.

I just purchased a brand-new 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (the long wheel base version) and it was thousand of dollars cheaper than anything from Ford or GM. Just as a point of interest my wife and I would be considered a "higher income" customer. However-we are retired and are looking to make out retirement savings last. I have owned the vehicle for a month now and can't find anything negative to say at this point.

We have owned Fords, GM pickups, and Subaru Legacy, and Honda Accords. We wanted something a little bigger to cart the grand kids around in. BTW-our last car being the Subaru and the quality of the car was abysmal.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

In the grand scheme of things Ford's products aren't "that" old....we aren't talking about the 2000 Taraus that was basically warmed over 1996 model with new sheetmetal that barely changed (or worse decontented) till 2006.

The current Taurus might be getting like that, but most other products are going to be replaced with 3-4 years from now.

In the grand scheme of things Ford's products aren't "that" old....we aren't talking about the 2000 Taraus that was basically warmed over 1996 model with new sheetmetal that barely changed (or worse decontented) till 2006.

The current Taurus might be getting like that, but most other products are going to be replaced with 3-4 years from now.

The C1 Focus dates all the way back to 2003, the Kuga / Escape is a branch off that.

CD4 Fusion dates back to 2008 EUCD Mondeo.

More good news:

F-Series...............76,027 (67,412) (+12.8%)

Expedition............ .5,758 (5,057) (-13.9%)

Navigator...................826 (851) (-2.9%)

Total........................6,584

Total Ford Truck and BOF SUV = 82,611

Silverado............ .43,804 (45,035) (-13.0%)

Sierra ................ .16,200 (17,642) (-8.2%)

Total.....................60,004

Tahoe.....................6,567 (7,430) (-11.6%)

Suburban ..............3,946 (3,997) (-1.3%)

Yukon.....................2,857 (3,757) (-23.8%)

Yukon XL................2,612 (2,384) (+9.6%)

Escalade ...............2,202 (1,856) (-18.7%)

Escalade ESV.......1,344 (1,087) (+23.6%)

Total......................12,961

Colorado...............9,091 (9,196) (-1.1%)

Canyon ................2,477 (3,361) (-26.3%)

Total.....................11,568

Total GM Truck and BOF SUV = 84,551

So with all BOFs compared, Ford is less than 2,000 units behind..

Sadly it looks like fleet dumping resumed last month at Ford to get the 2.2% sales increase. Over one third of sales! It's like a drug addict that relapsed.

You really don't know what Feet dumping is.

Building to commercial fleet customer orders is not dumping,

last month seems to have a lot of those orders missed in April.

Fleet %......May 2017 (May 2016)

Rental.............15.7% (15.5%)

Commercial....12.4% (12.1%)

Government.....6.3% (6.1%)

Total...............34.4% (33.7%)

Edited by jpd80

You really don't know what Feet dumping is.

Building to commercial fleet customer orders is not dumping,

last month seems to have a lot of those orders missed in April.

Fleet %......May 2017 (May 2016)

Rental.............15.7% (15.5%)

Commercial....12.4% (12.1%)

Government.....6.3% (6.1%)

Total...............34.4% (33.7%)

...and those percentages are pretty flat compared to last year.

I'm curious, does anyone know which vehicles tend to be sold most to rental companies from Ford?

• Like 1

No doubt..completly on board with marketing failure to women..but the caveat here is women are just as much steering purchase towards suv's and bigger trucks on the idea of those being inherently safer to drive..ford hasent completly jumped the shark here but room to improve especially at the dealership sales level...women dread dealing for car purchase...foreign guys seem to be much better at perseption than domestics

The last Ford vehicles I specifically remember being advertised toward women are, Mercury Cougar, Mercury Milan and the Ford Edge recently. On that same note, my wife drives an F-150 not really because of the advertising campaign.

• Like 1