Hau Thai-Tang to Retire

Hau has done so much for Ford, including bringing us the 2005 Mustang, as jcartwright99 said above. I'm surprised to see that he's retiring in a few months, since I figured he would have been around to introduce the 7G Mustang and oversee its production start. Best of luck to Hau and hope he enjoys his retirement. I'm not familiar with the other guy but hope he enjoys his next steps in life too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I'm not familiar with the other guy but hope he enjoys his next steps in life too.

The other Ford executive mentioned in the press release announcing retirements, Frederiek Toney, specialized in parts, service, and logistics. Prior to joining Ford in 2000, he worked at Honda, and at Caterpillar prior to that.

cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Is this what you where hinting at before?

No, I wasn't aware this was coming before it dropped. Something else fairly big happened yesterday that will probably come out before too long. 

Edit: Speak of the devil. It's paywalled but someone might be able to read it. 

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/07/15/ford-michigan-assembly-plant-manager-erik-williams/10067519002/

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 11:42 AM, pffan1990 said:

Hau has done so much for Ford, including bringing us the 2005 Mustang, as jcartwright99 said above. I'm surprised to see that he's retiring in a few months, since I figured he would have been around to introduce the 7G Mustang and oversee its production start. Best of luck to Hau and hope he enjoys his retirement. I'm not familiar with the other guy but hope he enjoys his next steps in life too.

Ford is obviously making it worth his while to retire, he turns 56 in September so maybe overseeing next Gen Mustang is already done…

• Like 1

People shouldn't be trying to find hidden messages in Tang's retirement.  34+ years is a career for most people.  And take it from an old guy who worked a full career and retired years back, there are other things that become important to you as you age.  For all we know, Tang chose to retire because he has to care for his aging parents (a big deal, just ask anybody who's been through that).  

I wish him well in retirement.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Wasn't  Hau Thai Tang slated to be the head of Ford Blue? I, too find it unusual that he isn't sticking around for the launch of the 7G Mustang.

No, that job went to Kumar Galhotra.  Hau Thai-Tang was given the job of 'Chief Industrial Platform Manager'.  Draw your own conclusions..........

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 11:10 PM, Chrisgb said:

Wasn't  Hau Thai Tang slated to be the head of Ford Blue? I, too find it unusual that he isn't sticking around for the launch of the 7G Mustang.

This is what was on Ford's press release...

Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief industrial platform officer, plans to retire on Oct. 1 after a career with the company spanning more than 34 years.

“I’m very grateful and honored to have served at Ford and proud to be leaving the company with one of the strongest, freshest and most appealing product lineups in our great history,” Thai-Tang said. “I plan to sprint across the finish line as we prepare to introduce more great products like the seventh-generation Mustang, and work closely with Jim, my Ford colleagues and our great suppliers on a smooth transition.”

Read More: Ford’s Thai-Tang and Toney to Retire After Stellar Careers; Dave Bozeman Joins Ford to Lead FCSD, Enthusiast Vehicles | Ford Media Center

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

All the same,  he's going to "sprint across the finish line" well ahead of 7G'S Job 1.

Right, he'll be gone by the time 7G Mustang's Job 1 production starts. However, the way he said '...as we prepare to introduce more great products like the seventh-generation Mustang', with emphasis on 'introduce', tells me that the 7G Mustang may be revealed soon. Perhaps before he retires but that's my guess.

• Like 1

Well If my memory serves me right, one of the books I read on Ford during the Mullaly years was heavy on his pursuit to get Farley on board.  As for Pete D's view I would have to say that Farley knows what buttons to push to get the press on his side-namely anything associated with EV's and you are in-forget about a "measured pace". 

Perhaps Thai had too much of an appreciation  for ICE's???

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well If my memory serves me right, one of the books I read on Ford during the Mullaly years was heavy on his pursuit to get Farley on board.  As for Pete D's view I would have to say that Farley knows what buttons to push to get the press on his side-namely anything associated with EV's and you are in-forget about a "measured pace". 

Perhaps Thai had too much of an appreciation  for ICE's???

Perhaps.  He likely saw what was coming for product development and funding for what he would be working on and didn’t want a part of it.  Better to retire in good standing.  He’s young.  I’m sure he will pop up at a supplier or startup doing something he enjoys.

• Like 2