UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

32 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I understand that eliminating tiers is a big one.

Fain will probably get a lot of what he wants.  I expect that the rank and file will love this guy and that he'll be president of the UAW for as long as they allow.

Could someone explain why eliminating tiers is a big deal? As a veteran employee, would you want some brand new employee making the same amount as you? That doesn’t make sense. Your basically saying all of your knowledge and experience you’ve gained over the years is worthless. There has to be something that I’m missing

5 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Could someone explain why eliminating tiers is a big deal? As a veteran employee, would you want some brand new employee making the same amount as you? That doesn’t make sense. Your basically saying all of your knowledge and experience you’ve gained over the years is worthless. There has to be something that I’m missing

That is not how the tiers work

9 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Because the union mantra is all my people do good work all the time and all workers are the same.  You can actually get in trouble for doing your job too well or outperforming others.  Experience means nothing except you get first choice on new jobs or locations.

13 minutes ago, twintornados said:

That is not how the tiers work

Ah ok, so it looks like if you were hired after 2007 then you are stuck in tier 2 with lower wages. I was under the impression that you would move up tiers after some time, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I dont know of many...if any at all that get THIS type of compensation.... "Pay increases, elimination of tiers, inflation protection, five weeks of vacation, 17 paid holidays, bigger contributions for retirement........seriously...any openings? I would say people would line up for that type of compensation

Edited by Deanh

56 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Ah ok, so it looks like if you were hired after 2007 then you are stuck in tier 2 with lower wages. I was under the impression that you would move up tiers after some time, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Not sure how they work but they were created to protect existing workers wages while allowing the company to hire new people at lower wages.  You know, like every other job in the country.  I’m sure they advance over time to some degree, but Ford agreed to dump them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

When genius??

snippy much?....oh shit...UAW update: Ford announces 600 layoffs after about 13,000 auto workers initiate strike............

Ford announced a round of layoffs after a union representing nearly 150,000 autoworkers launched a strike early Friday morning against the Big 3 U.S. automakers -- General Motors, Ford and Stellantis.

Ford said it would lay off 600 employees at Michigan Assembly Plant's body construction department and south sub-assembly area of integrated stamping.

"This is not a lockout," Ford said in a statement. "This layoff is a consequence of the strike at Michigan Assembly Plant's final assembly and paint departments, because the components built by these 600 employees use materials that must be e-coated for protection. E-coating is completed in the paint department, which is on strike."

Edited by Deanh

6 minutes ago, Deanh said:

snippy much?....oh shit...UAW update: Ford announces 600 layoffs after about 13,000 auto workers initiate strike.............

Damn right I am lol. Ford will do what they’re gonna do regardless. I’ve seen this company shrink in N/A since I’ve started here over two decades ago. They will downsize further with EV transition even if there wasn’t a strike. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deanh said:

snippy much?....oh shit...UAW update: Ford announces 600 layoffs after about 13,000 auto workers initiate strike............

Ford announced a round of layoffs after a union representing nearly 150,000 autoworkers launched a strike early Friday morning against the Big 3 U.S. automakers -- General Motors, Ford and Stellantis.

Ford said it would lay off 600 employees at Michigan Assembly Plant's body construction department and south sub-assembly area of integrated stamping.

"This is not a lockout," Ford said in a statement. "This layoff is a consequence of the strike at Michigan Assembly Plant's final assembly and paint departments, because the components built by these 600 employees use materials that must be e-coated for protection. E-coating is completed in the paint department, which is on strike."

Let the chess match begin. They will get sub and unemployment pay then 

Edited by Oacjay98

13 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Damn right I am lol. Ford will do what they’re gonna do regardless. I’ve seen this company shrink in N/A since I’ve started here over two decades ago. They will downsize further with EV transition even if there wasn’t a strike. 

unfortunately I believe that writing is on the wall as well....and agree...strike or not, ultimately the company will become smaller.....Ive been at their Dealership level for 36 years.....ALL of their so called "improvements" have resulted in lowering the workforce...and sometimes NOT in a beneficial manner....they have replaced a lot of experience lately at our level to cut costs ( read wages ) and replaced solid INDIVIDUALS with 4 or five peopel with zero experience barring expertise with their cell phones ( if you get my drift ) consequently, there are times I feel like a "Ford complaint dept " as the go to line is "Contact your Dealer " ( y"know, the very group Ford seems to be trying to get rid of )......

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Michigan and Texas are the only 2 states in the country where being laid off due to a company labor dispute makes you ineligible for unemployment 

But in California YOU can choose to go on strike and you get unemployment.  That’s just ridiculous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Michigan and Texas are the only 2 states in the country where being laid off due to a company labor dispute makes you ineligible for unemployment 

I’m concerned about collateral damage here, when Ford starts laying off workers it all gets real for families.

Negotiation is supposed to be exactly that but I feel like the unions leaders have set their goals in stone,

or is that exactly why Faint is behaving this way, does he already have that approval from rank and file members?

And then people criticize when Ford decides to import the Lincoln Nautilus from China. Given what is happening with the absurd demands of the automobile unions, Ford (and the other American brands) should stop producing vehicles in the USA and move the plants to Mexico, Canada or China. By the way, all these lawsuits do not affect either Toyota or Tesla. I don't know if the idea is to bankrupt the 3 traditional American companies, because that is what will happen if common sense doesn’t prevails.
Edited by .I.
  • Haha 1