UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

7 hours ago, hllywd said:

Perhaps I could've stated more clearly. And perhaps my sample size isn't large enough. But I based my comments on people around me outside of the auto industry. These people are getting reviews and raises every year and, from what I've heard, their raises have outpaced inflation every year. Seems like assumptions are being made all around. I haven't been surrounded by union workers for most if not all of my life. I hired in later in life and had "real jobs" before hiring in. I disagree with quite a bit of what I see and hear on a daily basis. I don't believe in the strike or the strike tactics. With that being said, and everyone can agree or disagree but that's besides the point... The company asked us to suspend COLA with the provision that as soon as they returned to profitability COLA would be reinstated. Companies returned to profitability by 2010 and here we are 13 years later and it still has not been reinstated. So agree or disagree, that's why the fight. I won't pretend to know how people outside the auto companies would respond but I'd like to think that if their companies promised something and then reneged on the promises that they'd be upset too.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh but all workers are unhappy with their employers at some point.  Mine took away 5 days of vacation  a couple of years ago. I wasn’t at all happy about it, but looking at it objectively I enjoyed 33 days of vacation for the last 15+ years which is FAR more than most.  So while I don’t like it, if you compare it to other companies it’s still a great deal.  I also lost retiree medical coverage subsidies but again that’s the new standard in most companies because of rising health care costs,   If I don’t like it I’m free to go work somewhere else.  Or retire.

Companies that have significantly higher labor costs than their direct competition and single digit profit margins are one price war or economic downturn away from bankruptcy.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

FWIW in this discussion....

Ford and GM workers already make $20 more per hour than Tesla employees - Autoblog

The labor cost gap between the Detroit 3 and Tesla is already staggering. Tesla spends about $45 an hour on labor (this cost combines hourly wages and benefits), while Ford, GM, and Stellantis are currently spending about $66 an hour on their labor, according to industry analysts.

If the UAW gets its way on pay increases and things like reviving pensions, Wells Fargo has estimated that the Detroit 3's hourly labor costs could more than double to $136 an hour.

I believe Toyota was in between at $55/hr.

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

So I suppose Tesla workers are never gonna want a raise and are just gonna stay at the same rate of pay??

Tesla will handle raises like every other non union company.  They decide how much each job is worth based on the market in each location, then they look at where each employee is on the salary range.and how they performed the last year.  Poor performers get nothing or very little.  Good performers below their target salary get good raises.  Good performers at or above their salary range get little or nothing.  Top performers usually get something unless they’re maxed out.

The company will decide whether to fund across the board increases based on inflation.  They do this not because of some contract but because it’s what they have to do to keep employees.  If you don’t keep up with the market rates people go elsewhere and you can’t hire enough replacements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Hey fuzzy, looks like GM (and probably Ford since the 2 companies seem to have matched offers) has addressed one of the issues to your liking: 

Taken from the yahoo link posted above.

Allegedly. I’m not believing anything written in the media until a deal is reached and I’m holding the highlights in my hand. 

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wasn’t at all happy about it, but looking at it objectively I enjoyed 33 days of vacation for the last 15+ years which is FAR more than most.

That’s almost twice what I get. 33 times the amount if you factor in that I’m not allowed to use my vacation time for any other reason than July shutdown. 

14 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Here are the numbers from 2022. Nvidia, Lucid top 2022 CEO compensation survey | Automotive News (autonews.com)

General Motors CEO, Mary Barra

• Base salary: $2.1 million
  • Bonus and incentive plan compensation: $6,258,000
  • Stock option gains: $0
  • Stock award gains: $24,627,264
  • Other compensation: $1,121,560
  • Accumulated pension benefits: $2,160,068
  • Total compensation: $34,106,824

Ford CEO, Jim Farley

• Base salary: $1.7 million
  • Bonus and incentive plan compensation: $2,754,000
  • Stock option gains: $1,869,342
  • Stock award gains: $10,620,588
  • Other compensation: $1,396,765
  • Accumulated pension benefits: $0
  • Total compensation: $18,340,695

Tesla CEO, Elon Musk

• Base salary: $0
  • Bonus and incentive plan compensation: $0
  • Stock option gains: $0
  • Stock award gains: $0
  • Other compensation: $0
  • Accumulated pension benefits: $0
  • Total compensation: $0

Musk is not a valid comparison.  He is the largest individual shareholder at almost 13% of Tesla.  He also had a long term compensation plan (that is under a lawsuit by other shareholders right now) that was worth $50 billion or more.  He doesn't "take" a salary because he is basically the owner and has already been compensated for future work.  Make no mistake though, Tesla has paid him a lot of money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Tesla enjoys significant cost advantages over the all the other manufacturers.  One big component is labor rate.  I don't know why the UAW hasn't aggressively pursued unionizing Tesla.

they did for a while but it was kind of a half assed effort and they gave up when met with resistance from the company. It was shortly after that when the corruption scandals started. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

46 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That’s almost twice what I get. 33 times the amount if you factor in that I’m not allowed to use my vacation time for any other reason than July shutdown. 

Well, based on previous comments from him, he's probably been at the same employer longer than you've been alive...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

To be fair it took 20 years to get to that level but you still hate losing things you already have.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Tesla will handle raises like every other non union company.  They decide how much each job is worth based on the market in each location, then they look at where each employee is on the salary range.and how they performed the last year.  Poor performers get nothing or very little.  Good performers below their target salary get good raises.  Good performers at or above their salary range get little or nothing.  Top performers usually get something unless they’re maxed out.

The company will decide whether to fund across the board increases based on inflation.  They do this not because of some contract but because it’s what they have to do to keep employees.  If you don’t keep up with the market rates people go elsewhere and you can’t hire enough replacements.

Lol and the turnover will be high 

16 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Lol and the turnover will be high 

No it won’t because that’s how it works everywhere in the real (non union) world.  High turnover usually implies poor working conditions and/or poor management.  Good companies value good employees and compensate them accordingly so they don’t leave.  Bad employees stay with lower pay because they aren’t able to find a better job elsewhere.  Sometimes your best employees get a better offer they can’t refuse so they leave and sometimes the worst employees are let go.  

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

No it won’t because that’s how it works everywhere in the real (non union) world.  High turnover usually implies poor working conditions and/or poor management.  Good companies value good employees and compensate them accordingly so they don’t leave.  Bad employees stay with lower pay because they aren’t able to find a better job elsewhere.  Sometimes your best employees get a better offer they can’t refuse so they leave and sometimes the worst employees are let go.  

There is higher turn over in here amongst in progression workers. This is a fact. Lower pay can also be a factor in higher turnover. 

20 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My arm injury happened installing windows. Show me an autoworker who doesn’t have carpal tunnel from squeezing a trigger on a nut runner 400+ times a shift 5 days a week for years on end and I’ll show you some nice oceanfront property in Kansas. What we do isn’t easy, it only looks like it because we’ve all done it for so long. 

Man you shouldn’t even have to explain yourself to the people who think we do fuck all. Let em think what they want to think. We know different! 

Edited by Oacjay98

27 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

There is higher turn over in here amongst in progression workers. This is a fact. Lower pay can also be a factor in higher turnover. 

But if the pay was too low why would they ever hire on to begin with?  If you’re saying they hire on then find out the work is too hard for them then I can see that.  But if that happens a lot they normally increase starting pay to get more to stay.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But if the pay was too low why would they ever hire on to begin with?  If you’re saying they hire on then find out the work is too hard for them then I can see that.  But if that happens a lot they normally increase starting pay to get more to stay.

Work is tougher than people think I guess. I wouldn’t be here if I wasnt here so long I can tell you that. 

• Like 1