Ford CEO: Vertical Integration Will Increase with Move to EVs

silvrsvt

Vertical integration is necessary, but not sufficient, for Ford to survive amid the ongoing automotive industry revolution. Ford's survival, and hopefully thriving, in the automotive industry of the future will require totally different talent and totally different business strategies compared to the industry's "old world".

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Vertical integration is necessary, but not sufficient, for Ford to survive amid the ongoing automotive industry revolution. Ford's survival, and hopefully thriving, in the automotive industry of the future will require totally different talent and totally different business strategies compared to the industry's "old world".

Ford's already well ahead of both of us on this, that's exactly what team Edison is, down to the letter. A team filled with tech wizards from Apple and Tesla and that's run like a fast paced startup independent from the layers of bureaucracy older car companies often have. Team Edison is a startup with virtually unrestricted access to Ford's massive resources. A company within a company. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford's already well ahead of both of us on this, that's exactly what team Edison is, down to the letter. A team filled with tech wizards from Apple and Tesla and that's run like a fast paced startup independent from the layers of bureaucracy older car companies often have. Team Edison is a startup with virtually unrestricted access to Ford's massive resources. A company within a company. 

That's correct DeluxeStang. Both Team Edison itself and the revised corporate structure consisting of Blue, Model e (which contains Team Edison), and Pro represent competitive advantages for Ford.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Oh, you watch the politics start now that Ford’s EV sales are not doing so well,

there’s also deep concerns about Oakville’s BEV styling too but that’s on Farley.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Oh, you watch the politics start now that Ford’s EV sales are not doing so well,

there’s also deep concerns about Oakville’s BEV styling too but that’s on Farley.

Is that product going to be pushed back again to be redesigned based on the feedback they've received? They might just say screw it and put it out anyways. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Is that product going to be pushed back again to be redesigned based on the feedback they've received? They might just say screw it and put it out anyways. 

If Ford does proceed with the plans to do the two EVs at OAC, they should give both all-new names. Resurrect the previously-cancelled boxy Explorer EV and build that and its Lincoln version (Aviator) at OAC as soon as they can. That would provide at least four EVs built at OAC by the end of the decade. But then again, it's Ford. They don't even know their own ever-changing plans the next few months. lol

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

There’s no time for anymore changes, I hope another group of buyers falls in love with it.

And can I add that for  the sake of Oakville workers, I hope and pray that I’m dead wrong about this….

The plant is already marked up for demolition and current products are due end early next year.

No chance of production extensions either as final 12 months parts orders were locked in a year ago…..

Edited by jpd80

On 11/11/2023 at 8:53 PM, jpd80 said:

There’s no time for anymore changes, I hope another group of buyers falls in love with it.

And can I add that for  the sake of Oakville workers, I hope and pray that I’m dead wrong about this….

The plant is already marked up for demolition and current products are due end early next year.

No chance of production extensions either as final 12 months parts orders were locked in a year ago…..

I’m gonna ask you point blank, does the current Edge Nautilus look better than these BEVs we are gonna get at Oakville? I expect improvement in the looks department not regression! If there are so many concerns I can’t understand why they would actually go forward with vehicles that are sounding like they will be poor sellers not the 200,000 units Farley is projecting. 

On 11/11/2023 at 8:53 PM, jpd80 said:

Thanks for the info, they could always extend the retooling timeline can’t they?? I get it there is an end date for current products but I can’t see them completing that retool in 6 months. 

On 11/11/2023 at 5:50 PM, jpd80 said:

What I also want to know if Ford is slowing down their EV planning how will this affect OAC?? The lack of information from ford is angering. I get it we’re in Canada but we’re still a Ford operation. Makes me think they’re scrambling behind the scenes making changes!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

What I also want to know if Ford is slowing down their EV planning how will this affect OAC?? The lack of information from ford is angering. I get it we’re in Canada but we’re still a Ford operation. Makes me think they’re scrambling behind the scenes making changes!

I, along with many other BOF members who always appreciate your input, can understand your concerns especially about the lack of communication from Ford as to the plan details for the Oakville plant. It's still early after the contract settlements so hopefully there will be more information released soon.  

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to Ford CEO: Vertical Integration Will Increase with Move to EVs

After all this time, I finally saw my first Mustang Mach-E on the road! I had stopped at the local Gulf station and saw it (Grabber Blue) drive past while I was getting out of my car. It flew by so I couldn't tell what the model or trim was. My old dealership is only about a quarter mile up the street but rarely, if ever, displays a Mach-E out front even though they usually have at least 4-6 in stock.

I've seen some Mach-E advertisements on Pluto TV recently but they don't show the Mach-E well.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

I’m gonna ask you point blank, does the current Edge Nautilus look better than these BEVs we are gonna get at Oakville? I expect improvement in the looks department not regression! If there are so many concerns I can’t understand why they would actually go forward with vehicles that are sounding like they will be poor sellers not the 200,000 units Farley is projecting. 

Yes, the current Edge and Nautilus are more attractive. The new 7-seater Ford EV is not attractive in my opinion. Its shape is what turns me off. It’s extremely different and I honestly don’t know how they will sell 50,000-75,000 units a year projected for the US. I could be wrong but who knows. I still have no idea what name it will have. It’s honestly not fitting to call it an Explorer. I’ve heard “Edison” floated and no not because it’s Team Edison’s latest project.

On the other hand, the Lincoln version while different is not unattractive. It’s sleek and very fitting of a future Lincoln EV. I am fairly certain the 7-seater Lincoln EV will be called Aviator though.

I believe Farley wants to go after Tesla buyers with a 7-seater EV which Tesla doesn’t have. Oakville is projected to build / sell 200,000 a year. I assume Oakville is building these for global consumption as this will be the only place these are built.

19 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

Yes, the current Edge and Nautilus are more attractive. The new 7-seater Ford EV is not attractive in my opinion. Its shape is what turns me off. It’s extremely different and I honestly don’t know how they will sell 50,000-75,000 units a year projected for the US. I could be wrong but who knows. I still have no idea what name it will have. It’s honestly not fitting to call it an Explorer. I’ve heard “Edison” floated and no not because it’s Team Edison’s latest project..

From the teaser photo of it with the cover on it, it looks like it has a GT40 like nose on a sedan. But at the same time the other spy photos I've seen gives me some pause. 

I'm guessing the Lincoln version will look like the Star Concept. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I, along with many other BOF members who always appreciate your input, can understand your concerns especially about the lack of communication from Ford as to the plan details for the Oakville plant. It's still early after the contract settlements so hopefully there will be more information released soon.  

Maybe I’m jumping the gun abit, information has to be coming soon as we are nearing the supposed March end date for the Edge. 3 weeks and change and no more Nautilus as you guys know. I agree when the smoke settled from the contract Ford should shed more light on this situation. Since the 2020 contract Ford has been quite secretive about these 7 seat crossovers. No official name or even a sketch has been released. It’s time now.

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Yes, the current Edge and Nautilus are more attractive. The new 7-seater Ford EV is not attractive in my opinion. Its shape is what turns me off. It’s extremely different and I honestly don’t know how they will sell 50,000-75,000 units a year projected for the US. I could be wrong but who knows. I still have no idea what name it will have. It’s honestly not fitting to call it an Explorer. I’ve heard “Edison” floated and no not because it’s Team Edison’s latest project.

On the other hand, the Lincoln version while different is not unattractive. It’s sleek and very fitting of a future Lincoln EV. I am fairly certain the 7-seater Lincoln EV will be called Aviator though.

I believe Farley wants to go after Tesla buyers with a 7-seater EV which Tesla doesn’t have. Oakville is projected to build / sell 200,000 a year. I assume Oakville is building these for global consumption as this will be the only place these are built.

I think it’s actually sad news that the old stale yet solid Edge and Nautilus look better. How can Farley and the R and D people look at these vehicles and think they’re gonna sell based on what you’re saying. I hope it’s not another love it or hate it Ford Flex situation. The Flex never sold great and was just a top up at OAC along with that hideous MKT. He might have made them go back to the drawing board with the Mach E doesn’t mean it’s gonna work this time changing the original design. I hope Farley knows what he’s doing he seems quite intelligent.

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Thanks for the info it’s much appreciated.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:53 PM, jpd80 said:

It’s probably better that no one likes it and it’s a huge failure. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Wonder why they didn’t try to do a concept of this new design to gauge public reaction?

Edited by T-dubz

I believe the reason it looks funky is due to maximizing aerodynamics to reduce battery cost.  They don’t have to worry about that on the Lincoln.

So it depends on how much that works and even if it yields a significant advantage - will people buy it if they hate the styling?  They tried that to some extent with the CMax Energi to compete with the funky looking Prius but that didn’t work.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

It’s probably better that no one likes it and it’s a huge failure. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Wonder why they didn’t try to do a concept of this new design to gauge public reaction?

Better for who??? Won’t be better for OAC if this Flops. 

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

I believe the reason it looks funky is due to maximizing aerodynamics to reduce battery cost.  They don’t have to worry about that on the Lincoln.

So it depends on how much that works and even if it yields a significant advantage - will people buy it if they hate the styling?  They tried that to some extent with the CMax Energi to compete with the funky looking Prius but that didn’t work.

Funky doesn’t have to mean ugly though. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

There's a difference between "ugly unique" and "attractive (or decent) unique"

C-Max fell under the former category, IMO - ugly might be a strong word, but it certainly wasn't attractive....

22 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

There's a difference between "ugly unique" and "attractive (or decent) unique"

C-Max fell under the former category, IMO - ugly might be a strong word, but it certainly wasn't attractive....

I suppose it will get revealed next year so we can judge for ourselves if this vehicle looks even half decent. The Lincoln sounds like it will at least but Lincoln isn’t big volume. 

7 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Based off how they're being described, the three rows are going to be as controversially styled as the edge is bland and boring. People have said it's extremely futuristic looking, and definitely not a boring looking vehicle. But it's very divisive by the sounds of things. There seems to be a lot of people who aren't fans, and probably some people who are. 

Edited by DeluxeStang