Ford Gives 2024 Lincoln Nautilus a Windshield-Wide Instrument Panel

Ford Gives 2024 Lincoln Nautilus a Windshield-Wide Instrument Panel - It's Like Nothing You've Ever Seen

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2024/01/22/fords-new-48-inch-dashboard-will-debut-in-2024-lincoln-nautilus/72285554007/

Detroit Free Press_2024 Lincoln Digital Experience_01.jpg

Ford is about to change what drivers will see when they get behind the wheel of some of its vehicles.

A new electronic system and instrument panel — in one vehicle it will stretch the width of the windshield — is aimed at reinventing how drivers get information. It will include the speedometer and other critical gauges, navigation and apps like Spotify, streaming video and auto-racing games.

There also will be a traditional touch screen. It's just mounted lower in the dash, between the front seats.

Ford engineers developed the new electronic system and instrument panel. It debuts early this year in the 2024 Lincoln Nautilus luxury SUV.

Among other priorities to win customer acceptance, the new displays will play nicely with Apple CarPlay, contrary to the direction General Motors chose for its upcoming electric vehicles.

Detroit Free Press_2024 Lincoln Digital Experience_02.jpg

The system will be called the Ford or Lincoln Digital Experience, depending on the brand of the vehicle it is in.

"The new Digital Experience represents a massive step forward in Ford's ongoing software developments and promises significant improvements over its current Sync systems," Autopacific analyst Paul Waatti said. "It's much faster, intuitive, more customizable, and presents the most critical information to drivers in their line of sight in an easily digestible manner."

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Ford Gives 2024 Lincoln Nautilus a Windshield-Wide Instrument Panel - It's Like Nothing You've Ever Seen

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2024/01/22/fords-new-48-inch-dashboard-will-debut-in-2024-lincoln-nautilus/72285554007/

Detroit Free Press_2024 Lincoln Digital Experience_01.jpg

Ford is about to change what drivers will see when they get behind the wheel of some of its vehicles.

A new electronic system and instrument panel — in one vehicle it will stretch the width of the windshield — is aimed at reinventing how drivers get information. It will include the speedometer and other critical gauges, navigation and apps like Spotify, streaming video and auto-racing games.

There also will be a traditional touch screen. It's just mounted lower in the dash, between the front seats.

Ford engineers developed the new electronic system and instrument panel. It debuts early this year in the 2024 Lincoln Nautilus luxury SUV.

Among other priorities to win customer acceptance, the new displays will play nicely with Apple CarPlay, contrary to the direction General Motors chose for its upcoming electric vehicles.

Detroit Free Press_2024 Lincoln Digital Experience_02.jpg

The system will be called the Ford or Lincoln Digital Experience, depending on the brand of the vehicle it is in.

"The new Digital Experience represents a massive step forward in Ford's ongoing software developments and promises significant improvements over its current Sync systems," Autopacific analyst Paul Waatti said. "It's much faster, intuitive, more customizable, and presents the most critical information to drivers in their line of sight in an easily digestible manner."

So the plan is to use the same design/instrument panel on Lincolns and Fords?? ??

I think we are not too far away from a time that the entire windshield will become an OLED screen (or whatever tech supersedes these). The default screen would be a 1:1 display of what would normally be in view through a conventional windshield. You would be able to zoom in or out, have night vision, and head up display capability of the instruments and secondary displays for infotainment, including a polarized picture in picture display for movies or games viewable only by the passenger. This would make it possible for a solid panel on the exterior to replace the glass windshield.This could be a lighter composite, and made more convex for better aero, and because the interior screen would be independent from the exterior panel, it could be more flat and vertical, eliminating interior sun loading and reflections.

Edited by Chrisgb

30 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I think we are not too far away from a time that the entire windshield will become an OLED screen (or whatever tech supersedes these). The default screen would be a 1:1 display of what would normally be in view through a conventional windshield. You would be able to zoom in or out, have night vision, and head up display capability of the instruments and secondary displays for infotainment, including a polarized picture in picture display for movies or games viewable only by the passenger. This would make it possible for a solid panel on the exterior to replace the glass windshield.This could be a lighter composite, and made more convex for better aero, and because the interior screen would be independent from the exterior panel, it could be more flat and vertical, eliminating interior sun loading and reflections.

There you go with your sunny day engineering.  What if the battery is dead or the cameras fail on the interstate at 75 mph?

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

There you go with your sunny day engineering.  What if the battery is dead or the cameras fail on the interstate at 75 mph?

Duuno... Ask rprez. 

I guess you would need a backup camera(s) with independent power source, and the ability to display the outward view on a phone or tablet, and enough resolution and capacity to at least maneuver the vehicle to the shoulder. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but better than some of the wonky patents that Ford comes up with.

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

Sounds a bit like steer-by-wire to me.  If it somehow failed at 75 MPH you’d be screwed.  I know they have backups for backups, but not for me.  I’ll  pass on both and stick with simplicity over complexity as long as there is a choice.

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

Duuno... Ask rprez. 

I guess you would need a backup camera(s) with independent power source, and the ability to display the outward view on a phone or tablet, and enough resolution and capacity to at least maneuver the vehicle to the shoulder. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but better than some of the wonky patents that Ford comes up with.

You’re approaching Rube Goldberg territory with all that.  Just to avoid having a simple piece of glass.

You can add those capabilities to part of the windshield or a separate display while still being able to see.

They did what you describe on the new NASA plane that eliminates sonic booms - eliminated the windshield in favor of cameras - but they didn’t have a choice because the windshield contributed to the sonic boom.  Waiting to hear what the backup plan is for that one.  No way it would carry passengers without a foolproof backup.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

They did what you describe on the new NASA plane that eliminates sonic booms - eliminated the windshield in favor of cameras - but they didn’t have a choice because the windshield contributed to the sonic boom.  Waiting to hear what the backup plan is for that one.  No way it would carry passengers without a foolproof backup.

Its called instrumentation.

As for lack of a windshield, this plane didn't have one either from almost 100 years ago ;)

Ryan NYP <i>Spirit of St. Louis</i>

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Its called instrumentation.

As for lack of a windshield, this plane didn't have one either from almost 100 years ago ;)

This design decision meant that there could be no front windshield, and that forward visibility would be limited to the side windows. This did not concern Lindbergh as he was accustomed to flying in the rear cockpit of mail planes with mail bags in the front. When he wanted to see forward, he would slightly yaw the aircraft and look out the side. To provide some forward vision as a precaution against hitting ship masts, trees, or structures while flying at low altitude, a Ryan employee who had served in the submarine service installed a periscope which Lindbergh helped design

It’s not hard to yaw a car, but it’s really hard to yaw it, keep it in your lane then straighten it back out. ?

• Haha 1

I can see them adding "side view mirror" screens on the sides at some point when that's allowed here.  Everyone that I know that's been making positive comments over it calling it radical, I just remind them it's really just a take off the 90's Mark8 dashboard.  Then it all makes sense to them. 

• Like 1

I saw it in the Nautilus a few months back, and it seemed pretty nice - different, obviously, but nice - the one thing I recall from early videos, was a lack of customization ability from the built-in system.  CarPlay or Android Auto may allow more customization, but the factory setting only had a few options, IIRC.  Maybe this will change with the Google-based system.

Here are a couple of more articles out today on the new infotainment system in the Nautilus. So far, they are pretty positive. Note that you can play movies, games, surf the internet, etc. on the main screen when the car is parked. Obviously, Ford/Lincoln did some kind of show and tell on the new system for the media. Still waiting on when they authorize first drive reviews!

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/22/24045932/ford-android-screen-display-size-os-apps-gaming-lincoln?fbclid=IwAR0Sa7_INHOoT0cEeBd3nl-gOXCgFXZL7v0cGGv6jUJ520uh1W-Hc_TA7kY

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-nautilus-lincoln-digital-experience-infotainment-system-review/?sm_id=organic%3Asm_id%3Afb%3AAMAG%3Atrueanthem&amp;fbclid=IwAR2X4R69zEBuwKi62ClZ_kBFb_9SOvg1bmtjkhroCAPAPXjtvcu5WB54PHs

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Here are a couple of more articles out today on the new infotainment system in the Nautilus. So far, they are pretty positive. Note that you can play movies, games, surf the internet, etc. on the main screen when the car is parked. Obviously, Ford/Lincoln did some kind of show and tell on the new system for the media. Still waiting on when they authorize first drive reviews!

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/22/24045932/ford-android-screen-display-size-os-apps-gaming-lincoln?fbclid=IwAR0Sa7_INHOoT0cEeBd3nl-gOXCgFXZL7v0cGGv6jUJ520uh1W-Hc_TA7kY

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-nautilus-lincoln-digital-experience-infotainment-system-review/?sm_id=organic%3Asm_id%3Afb%3AAMAG%3Atrueanthem&amp;fbclid=IwAR2X4R69zEBuwKi62ClZ_kBFb_9SOvg1bmtjkhroCAPAPXjtvcu5WB54PHs

In the article in the Detroit Free Press , Mark Phelan says he will have an article on a full one week with a Nautilus in March at the introduction.  That sort of sounds like the press has not driven yet, or not allowed to write about and is embargoed till March about the drive during the introduction.  I would have thought would be about now, as vehicles are starting to hit dealers slowly . Guess they are waiting till they will begin to be more common.  I keep looking daily for new reads and press test drives.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

Now you don't like dogs??

Haha. Of course I like dogs, but this patent is purely absurd. Ford has plenty of things that can be improved on, Task the engineers with producing real world updates, like solar powered refrigeration to keep the water bowl cold on a hot day, or an option on the Ford Pass app that will give you directions to the nearest public drinking fountain to refill Fido's bowl.

3 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Haha. Of course I like dogs, but this patent is purely absurd. Ford has plenty of things that can be improved on, Task the engineers with producing real world updates, like solar powered refrigeration to keep the water bowl cold on a hot day, or an option on the Ford Pass app that will give you directions to the nearest public drinking fountain to refill Fido's bowl.

Now, that's more like it...especially the Ford App idea....lol

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Patents are usually written by lawyers not engineers so I wouldn’t worry about them wasting much time.  Probably just a brain storming idea the lawyer ran with.

• Like 1