2025 Explorer tomorrow

22 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

Agreed.  We’ve only had our Corsair for 4 months but I really like the positioning of the screen and overall design.  It’s layout is very similar to the layout in the new Explorer. 

I also love the 24 radio presets without having to use the media button to wrap around and the smaller inset screen with hvac, nav or audio and how it toggles depending on the main screen.

11 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well my thought is Ford too has fallen for the "My grillwork has more glitz than yours" school of design..or F-upped design.

Agreed. Overall, my reaction to the photos released... eh, not impressed. The grille is too bold, shape is strange and appearance just not clean or impressive. The interior is definitely an improvement and I personally like the widescreen touch screen. Reducing the number of models available is definitely welcome and overdue. It'll be interesting to see the order guide to see how they've simplified the ordering process and to see how they're justifying the $2,120 price increase on the "base" Active model. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed. Overall, my reaction to the photos released... eh, not impressed. The grille is too bold, shape is strange and appearance just not clean or impressive. The interior is definitely an improvement and I personally like the widescreen touch screen. Reducing the number of models available is definitely welcome and overdue. It'll be interesting to see the order guide to see how they've simplified the ordering process and to see how they're justifying the $2,120 price increase on the "base" Active model. 

I see where it would be polarizing, but I actually like it and it does help it to stand out vs the competition.

I’m guessing the increase is mostly due to more safety features and the upgraded electronics.

15 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Front looks better than rear to me.  Viewed from certain angle taillights look wrong, as if they stick out. From other angles they blend in better.

IMG_2656.jpeg.71a64c0de76fe4efc685736b299b0049.jpeg

I actually like that about it. It gives the rear end even more of a muscular look imo. The pre-facelifted version was far too plain looking, especially the rear. This looks much more upscale and sporty to me. 

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

Front looks better than rear to me.  Viewed from certain angle taillights look wrong, as if they stick out. From other angles they blend in better.

IMG_2656.jpeg.71a64c0de76fe4efc685736b299b0049.jpeg

The current one is like that. I can almost guarantee without seeing it in person they did that on purpose so they could use the same bodyside panel. Pretty common with refreshes actually. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I actually like that about it. It gives the rear end even more of a muscular look imo. The pre-facelifted version was far too plain looking, especially the rear. This looks much more upscale and sporty to me. 

This beholder doesn’t see much beauty there.  I prefer plain and simple designs, not those that stand out just to draw attention.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

This beholder doesn’t see much beauty there.  I prefer plain and simple designs, not those that stand out just to draw attention.  

Fair enough, car design is a difficult balance of trying to create something unique, without going too far. Where that limit lies differs from person to person. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It's give and take I suppose. I like how they ditched that odd design element where the headlights extended into the grille area for no reason. The new grille is imposing, and muscular looking. But from some angles, it looks a bit blobish. 

The new grille doesn't work. It's not terrible, but the overall shape doesn't mesh with the other design elements.

The interior improvements are most welcome...I sat in a 2024 Explorer at the Harrisburg Auto Show this weekend. My wife wasn't wild about the dashboard, and another woman who was looking at it told her husband, "This screen looks dated." 

It was interesting how many people immediately checked out the center screen in the vehicles. That was their first priority when looking at the interior. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The current one is like that. I can almost guarantee without seeing it in person they did that on purpose so they could use the same bodyside panel. Pretty common with refreshes actually. 

That camera angle distorts it because you can’t see the quarter panels.  In the video you can see they don’t really stick out like that.

image.thumb.png.0b805c1b272bbef85491fab6305bed35.png

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

That camera angle distorts it because you can’t see the quarter panels.  In the video you can see they don’t really stick out like that.

image.thumb.png.0b805c1b272bbef85491fab6305bed35.png

They round the sheetmetal, and put the square-er taillight - companies have been doing this for a while now - I'd imagine there's some aero reason for it.

Overall, I think it's good Explorer finally got an update.  I think the grille should've tapered in a bit more toward the bottom, which may have solved some of the issues posters above have with it, but it's better than the current setup.  Also, it may look better in person than photos.

The interior looks better, and I'm glad Ford is finally getting on board with the maps in the digital gauge cluster bandwagon.

A few more shots of the rear to see it different angles.

Grill definitely looks better in person.  I don't think it photographs well compared to seeing it in person.  My first thought was WOW seeing the front..  wasn't expecting that impression from the pics I had seen previously.

20240122_155419.jpg

20240122_155429.jpg

20240122_153401.jpg

20240122_155641.jpg

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Cue all the tablet haters.  After using the similar larger sync 4 screen for 2 years I love it.  The higher and more upright position makes it so much easier to see and use and it is not in your line of sight for driving.  And I love how clean the dash is and that you can have hvac vents below it.

I am not a fan of Tablet screens, but this is certainly an improvement over last year. Also complained about Mustang, but it was not near as bad in person when I sat in one. So this would not be a deal breaker for me. But I do want buttons and knobs for Climate!!!:stirpot:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, danglin said:

I am not a fan of Tablet screens, but this is certainly an improvement over last year. Also complained about Mustang, but it was not near as bad in person when I sat in one. So this would not be a deal breaker for me. But I do want buttons and knobs for Climate!!!:stirpot:

Just curious - how often do you adjust climate controls other than temp, seat heat/cool and steering wheel heat?  In our Nautilus the first two are buttons on the console and the latter is always on the inset screen.  I don’t see much difference in looking down to find them on the console and finding them on the bottom of the screen.  Now if they were buried in a menu that would be different.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Just curious - how often do you adjust climate controls other than temp, seat heat/cool and steering wheel heat?  In our Nautilus the first two are buttons on the console and the latter is always on the inset screen.  I don’t see much difference in looking down to find them on the console and finding them on the bottom of the screen.  Now if they were buried in a menu that would be different.

Enough that I prefer buttons and knobs. I would actually rather have all radio/climate on physical buttons.  I suppose I am just an old Fuddy Duddy!! LOL  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This refresh looks better to me than the previous version.  I always felt like the rear of the 2020 Explorer had too much blank real estate, and I think the light bar going across the back helps break it up.  I also like the squared off grille more than the 2020's grille.  Interior looks better too. 

Echoing some others, the only thing I don't like is that they went away from physical knobs and buttons.  I rented a 2022 Edge a couple years ago with the vertical screen and was not a fan of so many basic functions being buried in the screen.  I have both physical buttons and redundant screen controls on my Continental, and I rarely find myself using the controls on the screen.  I'd actually rather see smaller screens that are better integrated into the interior design rather than the larger Tesla-style projected tablet that everyone seems to do now.  I think the 2025 Navigator does a nice job of getting away from the stuck-on tablet aesthetic, so hopefully we see that trickle down to other Ford products in the future.

• Like 4

Maybe it is just me, but I don't get the hate for the lack of buttons on a vehicle. The vast majority of cars come with Automatic HVAC controls, so just set the temp and be more or less done with it. Even my captive touch buttons on my SHO where more or less a non-factor because I used the steering wheel controls to change radio stations or just touched the screen. Barely touched the HVAC controls (outside of those weird days that its around 70 and it feels colder or hotter, so had to bump the temp up or down). On the Bronco, the only issue I have is with it is with the apps themselves-the SiriusXM and Waze App sometimes doesn't start correctly with CarPlay, so I have to open them on my phone. 

What I do hate is counterintuitive controls for things like wiper controls that are far more important. I had a Hyundai Venue for a rental and the stupid wiper controls where completely counterintuitive vs what I've had on Ford products and other cars. I spent more time figuring that out then getting my phone connected via CarPlay to use Waze to get to where I had to go. 

10 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

I'd actually rather see smaller screens that are better integrated into the interior design rather than the larger Tesla-style projected tablet that everyone seems to do now.  I think the 2025 Navigator does a nice job of getting away from the stuck-on tablet aesthetic, so hopefully we see that trickle down to other Ford products in the future.

Why not an actual tablet interface? have a Ram Mount-type holder on the dashboard so you could slide in your own tablet with an integrated USB-c plugin. The software could be designed to allow only the apps and functions that we now have with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. 

Further, develop an app and standardized software that automatically pairs your phone without doing the physical phone pairing we now have. Once your tablet is connected,  you wouldn't need to physically pair your phone. Handy for rental cars, where the pairing process can vary somewhat year to year and model to model.

Edited by Chrisgb

11 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

This refresh looks better to me than the previous version.  I always felt like the rear of the 2020 Explorer had too much blank real estate, and I think the light bar going across the back helps break it up.  I also like the squared off grille more than the 2020's grille.  

It's more distinct, and upscale looking all around for sure. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Maybe it is just me, but I don't get the hate for the lack of buttons on a vehicle. The vast majority of cars come with Automatic HVAC controls, so just set the temp and be more or less done with it. Even my captive touch buttons on my SHO where more or less a non-factor because I used the steering wheel controls to change radio stations or just touched the screen. Barely touched the HVAC controls (outside of those weird days that its around 70 and it feels colder or hotter, so had to bump the temp up or down). On the Bronco, the only issue I have is with it is with the apps themselves-the SiriusXM and Waze App sometimes doesn't start correctly with CarPlay, so I have to open them on my phone. 

What I do hate is counterintuitive controls for things like wiper controls that are far more important. I had a Hyundai Venue for a rental and the stupid wiper controls where completely counterintuitive vs what I've had on Ford products and other cars. I spent more time figuring that out then getting my phone connected via CarPlay to use Waze to get to where I had to go. 

I love a well design touchscreen interface. I think what annoys people, is having even basic functions relevant to a touchscreen. It comes naturally to my generation, people in their 40s and above, less so. Unless it's laggy, or otherwise poorly implemented, it doesn't bother me. I predict this is going to become one of those none issue things as millennials and gen z gradually make their way into explorer and other utilities. 

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I love a well design touchscreen interface. I think what annoys people, is having even basic functions relevant to a touchscreen. It comes naturally to my generation, people in their 40s and above, less so. Unless it's laggy, or otherwise poorly implemented, it doesn't bother me. I predict this is going to become one of those none issue things as millennials and gen z gradually make their way into explorer and other utilities. 

Hey be careful who your calling old...I'm almost 50 and worked in IT all my life ? . Not to mention there are a lot of younger kids out there that might know how to use say Tick Tock or other things like that but have no idea how to "use" their phone or PC.

Millennials are 27-42 and i'd consider that prime SUV buying age at the higher end of that range.  

• Like 1

I’ve been absorbing this refresh for a while now, and as a current ST owner, I just don’t know what to think. First Ford jacked up my new car purchase rotation by delaying this refresh over a year, but that’s another story.  

The interior updates are great, but much to my chagrin, and many others, they eliminated the physical buttons for basic functions.  We used these controls enough that it’s annoying, and I just don’t like the feel of touchscreens for these functions.  It’s not just set it and forget it in our car, even though it automated climate control.  

The rear of the Explorer is a major improvement.  That was probably my least favorite thing about the prior model, as it was very bland looking.  

Now as for the front end, I personally loved the prior models arrangement, contrary to some on here, and I’m just not sure what to think of the new grill.  I thought the outgoing grill blended nicely with the lines of the rest of the vehicle. This new grill looks blobby and I feel it doesn’t blend with the rest of the lines well based on the pics.  I’ll have to reserve judgement until I see it in person.  

It is disappointing there were no powertrain changes but not surprising really.  I just don’t know why they don’t add 15 to 20 hp on these refreshes, when it is pretty easy for them to do, so they can use it as a marketing tool.  

I was really hoping for MagneRide suspension on the ST, at least as an option. I think that would have been an excellent upgrade to the ST.  

I despise the the wheels on the ST.  They look like something you would find on an XLT, instead of a performance vehicle.  On top of it, I did the build and price on the ST and it is only showing Magnatite-Painted Aluminum Wheels, whereas the literature shows black.  This must be an oversight as they certainly will need black for this model.  With these ugly wheels, they need to have a wheel option with a style more consistent with the current model.  

I like the painted roof option but it’s pricey.

I also think the molding on the platinum model needs to be painted body color to be consistent with a more upscale vehicle.  

Ultimately, I really need to see this vehicle in person to get a better idea how I feel about it.

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hey be careful who your calling old...I'm almost 50 and worked in IT all my life ? . Not to mention there are a lot of younger kids out there that might know how to use say Tick Tock or other things like that but have no idea how to "use" their phone or PC.

Millennials are 27-42 and i'd consider that prime SUV buying age at the higher end of that range.  

Fair enough haha, to be honest, I'm in my late 20s. I'd rather spend my time interacting with people in their 50s and 60s like you guys most of the time, they have more interesting things to say than most of the clowns in my age group. 

I should clarify, I'm referring to the general populous, like my own folks to be honest. They're very old world smart, but anytime I have to explain new tech in a car to them, it freaks them out.  My parents generally love our maverick hybrid now that they've adjusted to owning a hybrid, but having to explain things like stop/start cycles, the lack of a starter in the maverick, even small things like the rotary dial, all of that took some getting used to for them. I've generally found that as people get older, and sometimes wiser, they generally want things to stick to what they know.