NEW EXPLORER SPY SHOTS

If the C-pillar was the only body color connection, I think it would look better. With the cut lines in the body color tops of the door frames, especially in light colors, it is just too busy looking.

I agree. IMHO, the black "A" pillar appears "discordant". Maybe it will be better to see in reality, rather than in pictures, but I doubt it. However, ultimately, it's the avaerage consumer who will decide. Thus it is important to remember that while everybody looks, few people see. :)

I'm still not liking it. From the angles provided, I see way too much GM CUV/SUV design cues. Dislike both the headlamp and taillamp assemblies. Look like Ford tried too hard to be different and unique with the designs. Which I like the attempt, but feel it was poor execution. Dislike the headlamp to front bumper proportions still. Bumper looks way to bulky and big in comparison to the headlights. Like others stated, why didn't they black out all pillars, or color code all pillars? Having some black and some painted doesn't mesh well.

I'll try to hold off final judgment until we see a production version, but right now I'm not holding out hope for this being a hit. Then again, I've been seeing more and more GM CUV's around lately, and boring/ugly Toyota's have always seemed to sell well. So if Ford is trying to make this a mixture of the two, they may just have something.

could allmost pass for a Flex refresh.....the Flexplorer....

I see virtually no similarities, nor would I ever think this was a Flex refresh. While I totally love the Flex design, this does nothing for me in the style dept.

I see virtually no similarities, nor would I ever think this was a Flex refresh. While I totally love the Flex design, this does nothing for me in the style dept.

Isn't that kind of the point of this multiple "tophat" approach? If you don't like the new Explorer, you can take a look at the Flex and vice versa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flex sales go up once the new Explorer goes on sale.

Isn't that kind of the point of this multiple "tophat" approach? If you don't like the new Explorer, you can take a look at the Flex and vice versa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flex sales go up once the new Explorer goes on sale.

Flex sales would probably already be higher if they advertised the thing. Since a few months after the launch I have seen zilch in support of it.

Flex sales would probably already be higher if they advertised the thing. Since a few months after the launch I have seen zilch in support of it.

.....good lease programs and availability would also help...I really cant fathom WHERE Fords head is with the Flex, its like they enjoy shooting themselves and sales in the foot........

.....good lease programs and availability would also help...I really cant fathom WHERE Fords head is with the Flex, its like they enjoy shooting themselves and sales in the foot........

So, hit the advertising hard and push some really enticing lease plans?

What's the worst that could happen, sales could jump to 5,000/month...:shades:

Well, my entire reply was to Dean stating he thought he saw many similarities to the Flex, which I disagree. But I do agree with your statement.

Very true. Think the Flex would be a much better seller if it got any kind of advertisement. Like you said, maybe the first 2-3 months after launch I saw commercials, but nothing since.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been an Explorer/Mountaineer guy for several years now, but the redesign isn't doing anything for me. In my eyes, it has too much of a "Ford Edge" look...and I don't like the "Edge" looks.

A quick glance at the rear in the spy photos makes it look like they may have done away with the opening hatch window...but it may just be the picture that's playing games with these old eyes.

The pictures that they're displaying on "Facebook" sure make the hatch opening look smaller, but that could be just the camera.

I sure wish I had the automated rear hatch opener on my 2009 Explorer...getting too old to open it manually. HA! I may check with my Ford shop to see if they can install one from another current Ford product...easily.

In the long run, I guess I'll have to lay aside my final opinion until the production model is unveiled.

ChuckZ

A quick glance at the rear in the spy photos makes it look like they may have done away with the opening hatch window...but it may just be the picture that's playing games with these old eyes.

ChuckZ

i hope if they do get rid of the flip out glass that is replaced with a roll down option. thats a really nice feature to have.

I remember trying out both, the flip up Explorer rear window, and the roll down 4Runner window. The advantage of the 4Runner is you can do it from the drivers seat, powered. The Explorer had the benefit you could do it there, and if you flipped it up, and it was raining, you could have something sticking out and not have water running into the vehicle. I also believe the Explorer was able to fit 4x8 sheets of plywood/drywall which made it utilitarian in that regard. I'm hoping that isn't lost.

Having gone from 2 explorers, an expedition and an Aviator to a 2008 Edge w/power liftgate - I can honestly say that I've never missed the separate rear glass at all.

I use the flip up glass all the time on my '02 Explorer and the prior 3 Explorers I had. It is handy for hauling 2x4s and for loading groceries without having to open the entire liftgate. I hope they continue it on the new Explorer. The lack of this feature is the one problem I have with the Flex. I also hope the New Explorer will haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor. My '02 is 2" too narrow between the wheel wells. How hard could it have been to find an inch on each side?

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I too liked having a separate flip-up rear window, but it's not the end of the world that I no longer have it. As Mark said, it's convenient when you have a few small items that really don't require opening the entire liftgate to put into the back.

I too liked having a separate flip-up rear window, but it's not the end of the world that I no longer have it. As Mark said, it's convenient when you have a few small items that really don't require opening the entire liftgate to put into the back.

It's almost a moot point if you have the power liftgate. I did like using the glass when loading or unloading from trips since you didn't have to worry about stuff falling out.

I've been an Explorer/Mountaineer guy for several years now, but the redesign isn't doing anything for me. In my eyes, it has too much of a "Ford Edge" look...and I don't like the "Edge" looks.

ChuckZ

You think it has to much "Edge" styling to it? Hmm, I actually like the Edge, and don't see much if any cues on this Explorer that remind me of the Edge. Either way, from what I've seen so far, I'd much prefer an Edge or Flex over this GM looking Explorer.

I'm a huge fan of the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, excellent design there IMO!

The Explorer is quite a bit more chaotic, lots of strange things going on in the roof and tail-light area. I'm not sure it all works well together, especially with the fairly unitneresting fascia. The new Edge has a brilliant fascia, the Explorer has a nice body design...too bad we can't merge them ;).

It's almost a moot point if you have the power liftgate. I did like using the glass when loading or unloading from trips since you didn't have to worry about stuff falling out.

I have to disagree that it's moot. Our Escape has the separate glass but our Flex does not with the latter having a power hatch. I would have paid extra to have the separate lift-glass on the Flex even with the power hatch because it makes it sooo much easier to get something in the cargo area quickly. The power hatch takes somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds (closer to 20 I'd guess but never really counted) to open or close. By comparison I can pop the glass on the Escape, toss something in, then close the glass in probably less than 5-10 seconds. Much easier and more convenient.

There's also the garage issue. Most garages will not accomodate a Flex with an open hatch while the garage door is closed, mine included. Therefore I have to leave the garage door open anytime I want to get something in or out of the Flex's cargo area. The Escape's hatch actually opens all the way with our garage door closed but having the separate glass in the Flex would certainly help in that area, especially when it's cold out. The Explorer which the Flex replaced allowed us to close the garage door and still access the cargo area with the garage door shut and opening its hatch required the garage door to be fully open too.

I find it disturbing and saddening at the same time when I see all these new SUV and CUVs coming to market with no separate glass feature. It was a great idea that should live on for a long time to come IMO.

I have to disagree that it's moot. Our Escape has the separate glass but our Flex does not with the latter having a power hatch. I would have paid extra to have the separate lift-glass on the Flex even with the power hatch because it makes it sooo much easier to get something in the cargo area quickly. The power hatch takes somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds (closer to 20 I'd guess but never really counted) to open or close. By comparison I can pop the glass on the Escape, toss something in, then close the glass in probably less than 5-10 seconds. Much easier and more convenient.

There's also the garage issue. Most garages will not accomodate a Flex with an open hatch while the garage door is closed, mine included. Therefore I have to leave the garage door open anytime I want to get something in or out of the Flex's cargo area. The Escape's hatch actually opens all the way with our garage door closed but having the separate glass in the Flex would certainly help in that area, especially when it's cold out. The Explorer which the Flex replaced allowed us to close the garage door and still access the cargo area with the garage door shut and opening its hatch required the garage door to be fully open too.

I find it disturbing and saddening at the same time when I see all these new SUV and CUVs coming to market with no separate glass feature. It was a great idea that should live on for a long time to come IMO.

I agree with you 100%. I miss the separate glass from our Escape for the very reasons you mention. Luckily, our garage is long enough, but we have to park just right to leave enough room to walk by in front, but enough room to get the hatch open with the door closed. I would've gladly paid an extra couple hundred $$$ for a separate glass.

I agree with what baggs32 said above - it's more convenient sometimes that it would be to open the whole liftgate.

+2