Lincoln MKExplorer

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lincoln get the Explorer?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • They already have the MKT, that's it!

I'm a little surprised this isn't in the works already but I strongly believe Lincoln needs a version of the new Ford Explorer and the MKT isn't cutting it (just like the Flex isn't). I would never EVER buy the MKT, it's hopelessly ugly and sits too low to the ground with those ungainly long and low proportions. I want a classically proportioned luxury SUV/CUV, not too dissimilar to the MKX, is that too much to ask for? I mean it took Ford WAAAAAAAY too long to get its act together to produce the Explorer; shamefully and embarrassingly so! I still can't believe we had to go through the Freestyle, Taurus X, and Flex to FINALLY get to the correct answer! Now it's time to bring that mercy to Lincoln!

In any case, about a month before ordering my 2011 MKX, I sorta fell for the new Explorer. It's a bit more vehicle than I need but I actually considered ordering one because it's exactly what I want, a tall spacious and chunky SUV. That didn't hold up once I convinced myself that the Explorer isn't going to feel right for me unless it was restyled and dressed as a Lincoln (and I'm not especially fond of the Explorer's face and bum). Even if Lincoln just rebadged this like the MKX, I would probably be happy...but I know they will want to do more to it.

In any case, should Lincoln get this car? Thoughts? Am I just crazy or does a Lincoln buyer know what he's talking about? ;)

Edited by BORG

I agree as well. The MKT isnt cutting it for various reasons, I think it would be a nice addition, and let the public decide. Maybe some shoppers will take that over the Navi. I just think there should be a bit more different, but keep the standard SUV porportions. In other words, don't bastardize a good thing...

If you take an Explorer and changed both the exterior and the interior, then you would have an all new vehicle, not a Lincoln version of the Explorer. Such a vehicle would be a good idea but someone would have to determine what the exterior should look like.

I would never EVER buy the MKT

In your opinion, you should never EVER have bought [leased] an MkX, and yet, here you did.

I did not buy our Flex until I saw the Explorer. The Explorer sold me on the Flex. That thing is ungainly.

The MkT certainly has some styling issues, but there is nothing to say an MkExplorer would not have the same issues.

I think they should spend the cash on the Aussie Territory RWD / AWD SUV and make that a Lincoln.

The uniqueness that would bring compared to being just doing an up scaled Explorer would be worth it.

Apart from having an international V6 Diesel the I-6 and I-6 turbo and a possibly FPV V8 would add real

flavor to an otherwise dull and bland array of vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Indeed there is no guarantee that Lincoln won't botch the look of the Explorer, but they got it right with the MKX and MKS (IMO), so I don't think it's out of the question. Hopefully some wiser design management will figure this out.

The MKT and Flex were birthed from concepts and they were very poorly executed upon production (Okay, the Flex isn't that bad by the MKT is). I really dislike concept-born products, often designers are so focused on trying to shoehorn the concept design onto an engineering mold and they don't stop to consider the fact that they lost the original vision and need to start over and work within the box they were given. There is a shocking lack of common sense going on over a Ford design from time to time, which makes them frustratingly unpredictable. Often there are germs of great designs in their cars but it's clear they are often working with a company unwilling or unable to fund the chassis underneath to make sure it fits those designs. I just hope we see a quick turnaround on the products that I think failed to receive the full commitment they deserved (Fusion, Escape, and MKZ).

My ideal Lincoln selection which would also cover Mercury

Cars

MKC

MKZ

MKS

SUV/CUV

MKB (Escape, possibly their most critical new product)

MKX

MKE (Explorer)

Navigator (please give this big ute some serious attention!)

I just hope we see a quick turnaround on the products that I think failed to receive the full commitment they deserved (Fusion, Escape, and MKZ).

Yet, again, you bought [leased], an MkX. The MkX MCE is in the same boat as the three vehicles you listed. Yet, you bought [leased] one.

You may as well be anti-fur while wearing a mink coat.

I'd argue the 2008/9 Escape MCE was more thorough than the 2011 MkX MCE.

Yet, again, you bought [leased], an MkX. The MkX MCE is in the same boat as the three vehicles you listed. Yet, you bought [leased] one.

You may as well be anti-fur while wearing a mink coat.

I'd argue the 2008/9 Escape MCE was more thorough than the 2011 MkX MCE.

The MKX and Edge are more successful designs and packages IMO, the Fusion and MKZ never were and they are competing in a much more aggressive segment. Look at the turnaround on the Hyundai Sonata for example. Granted, the Fusion still has far more of what i want than any other vehicle in its class (AWD and Sync), but they are unfortunately blessed with some of the most dated sheet-metal and bodies in the business so they don't embody that pride and confidence I want all Fords to have.

I don't get it...while the Flex and Explorer are totally different vehicles for their segments, how is Lincoln going to make a Lincoln Explorer different from the MKT? Given that I wouldn't expect a Lincoln ever to go off roading or even have pretensions of doing that, why make a Explorer based Lincoln? The only thing they'll be doing is stealing sales from the Lincoln Explorer and the MKT, since they would be nearly identical in price. The Aviator never sold that well and it was done in the hight of the SUV rage.

As for the MKT not being successful, how are the sales of other 40K+ People movers in its segment doing these days?

imho ( & that's ALL it is )

the only way I can see a Lincolnized Explorer is if they take it in a very swoopy, high-style direction - like a much-better-done (roomier?) X6...

(maybe co-ordinated with my sporty mkSS styling)

...which could let them MCE the MKT with more 3rd row space styling

(at the same time as bringing out the MKT-based flagship)

My ideal Lincoln selection ( name differences mainly )

Cars

MKC ( mkE ) 4-seat "TT", 'rhymes' with XKE

MKZ

. . . . ( mkSS ) sportier version of current swb, less overhang (until GRwdP)

MKS

. . . . ( mkS ) plus-sized to MKT's wlb - more a REAL Flagship

SUV/CUV

MKB ( mkG ) as in KuGa

MKX

MK? (Explorer)

Navigator (please give this big ute some serious attention!)

Edited by 2b2

The Lincoln version of Explorer can still be called the MKT, just use it to replace the current MKT on the market and then re-name the current MKT the MKL...."L" standing for livery or limousine. Of course, it would need a refresh since the nose seems to be "out of proportion" with the rest of the Lincoln fleet....my opinion is that MKX and MKZ versions of the "bow wave" grille look about right...the MKT is too garish and MKS seems too small for the car....

Edited by twintornados

i take it back! i voted yes, but the guy saying "nobody's ever gonna take a lincoln off-road" reminded me that this would be silly. They can offer a Titanium Ford Explorer, meanwhile they need to turn the MKT into something more appealing, cause I agree it is an ugly behemoth. But in terms of what kind of vehicle makes sense for Lincoln is a luxurious people mover, not some Land Rover wannabe. The MKT makes sense, and I think they should keep pushing that, just make it a lot less ugly. I kinda agree with Borg that the Explorer isn't perfect in the exterior, I actually love the rear, but the nose just really doesn't do anything for me, so I'd love to see a second shot at that. But I think that'd be better left for a MCE rather than a Lincoln version. That said, everything I'm saying is stuff that makes sense to me, and the whole market of jacked up luxury SUVs doesn't make sense to me, but clearly there does seem to be a market for them. I just wish those people would smarten up and stop pretending like they're ever gonna take their giant luxo-barges off road and make use of all that clearance.

I too have heard there is a Lincoln version of the Explorer. My only hope is it's not rediculously priced. A fully loaded Explorer hits $47K, so a Lincoln version will hit what, $60k?

Hmm, If they upgrade the leather, interior, add some gadgets (heated steering, electric steering-wheel adjustment), extend the warranty to 4 years, offer free maintenance and add the "Real" V6 EcoBoost....I'll gladly pay them $60K.

This is so simple. Borg likes the MKX and he doesn't like the MKT, Fusion or MKZ. Therefore whatever Ford did with the MKX was right and everything else was wrong. Haven't you guys figured that out already?

For the record...

Cars I like...

Taurus/MKS

Edge/MKX

2011 Explorer

F-150

2012 Focus

Fiesta

Cars designs that need improvement

Mustang

Fusion/MKZ

Escape

Flex

Cars designs that make me vomit...

Expedtion/Navigator(the uglist car on the road IMO)

MKT

E-Series (the 2nd ugliest)

F-Series SuperDuty

There isn't a single Ford or Lincoln I would consider great design, but my favorite design overall goes to the car I own or the Ford Edge/Taurus/MKS. Notice the NI are the vehicles selling the best ;).

Edited by BORG

For the record...

Cars I like...

Taurus/MKS

Edge/MKX

2011 Explorer

F-150

2012 Focus

Fiesta

Cars designs that need improvement

Mustang

Fusion/MKZ

Escape

Flex

Cars designs that make me vomit...

Expedtion/Navigator(the uglist car on the road IMO)

MKT

E-Series (the 2nd ugliest)

F-Series SuperDuty

There isn't a single Ford or Lincoln I would consider great design, but my favorite design overall goes to the car I own or the Ford Edge/Taurus/MKS. Notice the NI are the vehicles selling the best ;).

My point was when you like something personally you say Ford did it right and when YOU don't like something you say Ford got it wrong. If you were the only customer then you'd be right. But you're not and there is a good chance that the designs you don't like sell better and make more profit for Ford than the ones you like.

Why can't you (and others that do the same thing) just say "I don't like it" and leave it at that? There's no such thing in design as "right" or "wrong".