Would the Ecoboost 2.0 (240 Hp / 270 lb ft) Be successful in F150?

Ok, would the Explorer's 2.0 Ecoboost, be successful in F150?

With 270 lb ft at low revs and 240 hp on tap, a truck like this should theoretically give incredible fuel economy around town

provided heavy towing wasn't is major requirement, it could handle 1/2 ton loads OK, maybe Extra cab and Dual cab too.....

What do you guys think, is it "picking up nickles and dimes in front of a steam roller" or could it work for Ford?

Edited by jpd80

Ok, would the Explorer's 2.0 Ecoboost, be successful in F150?

With 270 lb ft at low revs and 240 hp on tap, a truck like this should theoretically give incredible fuel economy around town

provided heavy towing wasn't is major requirement, it could handle 1/2 ton loads OK, maybe Extra cab and Dual cab too.....

What do you guys think, is it "picking up nickles and dimes in front of a steam roller" or could it work for Ford?

NO. The lightest F150 you can get is around 4700 or 4800 lbs if memory serves me. Its on the edge in the Explorer imo. Oh how I would kill for a 1. 6 EB in a Ranger though but we all know the story there.

• Like 2

NO. The lightest F150 you can get is around 4700 or 4800 lbs if memory serves me. Its on the edge in the Explorer imo. Oh how I would kill for a 1. 6 EB in a Ranger though but we all know the story there.

Ford have said that their future strategy involves weight reduction in vehicles of between 250 and 750 lbs.....

One would assume that the last figure applies to the F Trucks, which means that 4700 lb truck

then becomes a 4,000 lb one, maybe that's in reach of the Ecoboost 2.0....maybe.

Ford have said that their future strategy involves weight reduction in vehicles of between 250 and 750 lbs.....

One would assume that the last figure applies to the F Trucks, which means that 4700 lb truck

then becomes a 4,000 lb one, maybe that's in reach of the Ecoboost 2.0....maybe.

Well, the weight I quoted was for a reg cab short bed 2wd and they are not popular at all. I can see a smaller turbo 6 as a future option maybe but not a 4 banger.

Well, the weight I quoted was for a reg cab short bed 2wd and they are not popular at all. I can see a smaller turbo 6 as a future option maybe but not a 4 banger.

Look at the 3.7 Vs Ecoboost 2.0, they are within 8 lb ft of each other,

3.7 V6 - 302 hp @ 6500, 278 lb ft @ 4000......(at 6500 rpm the 3.7 V6 still has 244 lb ft)

EB 2.0 - 240 hp @ 6000, 270 lb ft @ 3000......(at 6000 rpm the EB 20 still has 210 lb ft)

you can bet the EB has a lot of torque down low where it really counts....

Does that change your opinion?

Edited by jpd80

If the 8 speed transmission that Ford have announced is bound for the F150, I think an argument could be made for this application (in combination with the afore-mentioned weight loss). Maybe this combo could be marketed as the F100, with minimal towing capability and aimed more toward the casual user.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

I would think it would work fairly well. That's more power than the 4.9L I6 had in the pre-1997 F-150s, as well as more power than the Essex V6 in the 1997-2008 trucks.

I could rant about how the modern driver is spoiled for power, but nobody would listen anyway...

I would say no. It's going to be pushing it in the 4500lb Explorer. The average F-150 is > 5000lbs and you need to account for the 1700lb payload and/or tow rating.

Ironically these pickup trucks are still referred to as 1/2 tons. Remember when you had to step up to a F250 to get 3/4 payload.

Well when it hits $5 a gallon and can't afford it, they shouldn't be buying period lol might just be cheaper overall to keep what they have and just pay the higher gas bill rather than having a new car note, and then $5 gal, fuel bills.

Well when it hits $5 a gallon and can't afford it, they shouldn't be buying period lol might just be cheaper overall to keep what they have and just pay the higher gas bill rather than having a new car note, and then $5 gal, fuel bills.

Usually when you buy a car you sell your current car - the porkers are usually expensive, and you could probably buy a pretty decent used car for the same money.

It's amazing how people don't see that. They trade in their guzzler for a sipper when gas is $5 a gallon, take a huge hit on resale, and it takes them 5 years to recoup the money that lost.

Usually when you buy a car you sell your current car - the porkers are usually expensive, and you could probably buy a pretty decent used car for the same money.

Used porkers aren't expensive any more when you can't get anyone to buy it because gas is $5/gal.

Interesting the responses on this question but i wonder how many have considered the available torque 3.7 V6 Vs 2.0 EB

The Ecoboost 2.0 seems to have more torque than the 3.7V6 between 1700 and 4000 rpm,

it's only above 4,000 rpm that the V6 has any real torque advantage over the Ecoboost 2.0.

Does having slightly more torque in the lower range make the Ecoboost 2.0 better suited to F150 than the 3.7?

I see that sales of 3.7 V6 F150 are only around 10% of the total....... Buyers overwhelmingly want a truck that can tow

and the number of people buying F150 with V6 is still very small so perhaps the answer to my question is self evident,

Thanks guys, I now see why Ford isn't bothering with I-4 EB in F150, even if it did work, the potential sales numbers probably don't.

Just because you can build something doesn't mean you should, market expectations of a capable truck dictate where money is spent.

Edited by jpd80

Interesting the responses on this question but i wonder how many have considered the available torque 3.7 V6 Vs 2.0 EB

The Ecoboost 2.0 seems to have more torque than the 3.7V6 between 1700 and 4000 rpm,

it's only above 4,000 rpm that the V6 has any real torque advantage over the Ecoboost 2.0.

Does having slightly more torque in the lower range make the Ecoboost 2.0 better suited to F150 than the 3.7?

I see that sales of 3.7 V6 F150 are only around 10% of the total....... Buyers overwhelmingly want a truck that can tow

and the number of people buying F150 with V6 is still very small so perhaps the answer to my question is self evident,

Thanks guys, I now see why Ford isn't bothering with I-4 EB in F150, even if it did work, the potential sales numbers probably don't.

Just because you can build something doesn't mean you should, market expectations of a capable truck dictate where money is spent.

Remember, Ford artificially limits what engine you can get in what trim level. The 5.0 is the base motor for much of the F-150 line.

I think we need to see an actual dyno sheet before we assume the engine has all sorts of low end torque, and I'm not talking about something like that contrived/ridiculous one they had for the 3.5EB. What I mean is, how flat is that torque curve below 3000 rpm really? How much torque will it have at 1500? 2000?

I've been thinking it could work pretty well as a base fleet truck motor. The 4.2 was used for years without any issues.. it wasn't fast or anything, but it got the job done for light duty applications. I dont' see why it couldn't work in a bottom trim level with a limited payload and trailer tow rating.

With the Explorer and Edge, ford will only build the turbo 4 with front wheel drive. No AWD with the 4. I ask, why not? If there is a reason that Ford believes that the Four can not handle the AWD system, then it probably would not be good for a truck that people will use for work. Maybe the four will have to rev more and negate the fuel economy advantage in a heavy truck.

You might see a turbo 4 F150 - if Ford does a turbo 4 in the Mustang. That'll require modifying the block for longitudinal placement, and Ford probably wouldn't mind the extra volume to amortize that cost (ditto the Falcon/Territory/Ute) or the chance that this F150 would get a city rating near 20MPG and a highway rating up above 25 in 4x2.

*However*

You'd need to be able to do a straight up replacement for the 3.7, as in same towing, same payload, and same availability in 4x4. If you're able to get 10% higher fuel economy and the same capability, I think Ford would do it. They'd do it and they'd charge a few hundred bucks premium.

Edited by RichardJensen

With the Explorer and Edge, ford will only build the turbo 4 with front wheel drive. No AWD with the 4. I ask, why not? If there is a reason that Ford believes that the Four can not handle the AWD system, then it probably would not be good for a truck that people will use for work. Maybe the four will have to rev more and negate the fuel economy advantage in a heavy truck.

My guess is that the AWD EB would get the same fuel economy as the FWD 3.5, and that buyers would overwhelmingly opt for the significantly less expensive FWD 3.5 powertrain.