2013 Lincoln MKZ Revealed

The 2014 MKX should be revealed in about a year or so, since the last refresh and orginal debut were both a year after the MKZ's.

BTW, I just bought my bus ticket to NYC on Saturday to see the MKZ, my next car, in the flesh!!!!

It's a safe assumption, but we'll see. Either way, if it doesn't arrive by February 2013, It can wait another two years ;).

The MKZ design is stellar, but I don't think I can comfortably step back into a car again. It's going to be a tough decision to make, MKX or MKZ. And we are likely to see the MKG or MKE sooner than the next MKX.

Edited by BORG

Autoblog has some really nice candid shots of the MKZ, horribly sexy car...just mercilessly so. But indeed the view out the rear is going to be a deal breaker for some critics. Also weird about the rear window is the fact that it's not as darkly tinted.

Note to Lincoln, please make the MKX look exactly like this! PLEASE! And chop, chop! I don't want to wait around years!

Sedans usually do not have privacy glass like SUVs do for whatever reason.

Autoblog has some really nice candid shots of the MKZ, horribly sexy car...just mercilessly so. But indeed the view out the rear is going to be a deal breaker for some critics. Also weird about the rear window is the fact that it's not as darkly tinted.

Note to Lincoln, please make the MKX look exactly like this! PLEASE! And chop, chop! I don't want to wait around years!

Also remember a darkly tinted plane of glass will be covering the rear window when the roof is open (on those models so equipped).

• Like 1

There is a retractable shade for the rear window. This is the common solution in sedans.

coming from a motorcycle rider the rear window has become as redundant as turn signals, rear veiw mirrors and head-turning....so, just fill it in

BTW, I just bought my bus ticket to NYC on Saturday to see the MKZ, my next car, in the flesh!!!!

Why not take the train or Acclea up instead? The Train station in NYC is within walking distance to the NYIAS

Sedans usually do not have privacy glass like SUVs do for whatever reason.

I think it has to do with tinting laws in states?!?!

Why not take the train or Acclea up instead? The Train station in NYC is within walking distance to the NYIAS

I think it has to do with tinting laws in states?!?!

Bus has same pick up and drop off location, near the train stations, for about 40 bucks versus 200 bucks for Amtrak and both take 4.5 hours. Driving would be about same and cost about 150 in gas, tolls and parking, so bus is the no-brainer! Why pay more if it's not faster or easier to get there.

Edited by hbalek

I noticed there are THREE roofs: the standard metal roof, a Single-Panel Moonroof (standard on all but the base model) and the Retractable Glass Roof (optional on all but the base).

Anybody else see the designers video? The comments seem tepid.IMHO Wolff: ".design........hopefully will create desire"? Soo Kang: "To me, this is a visionary interior"?

It is or it isn't.

They just designed the new face of Lincoln ferchrissake! Be forceful, be positive.

Max Wolff looked really tired! Darrell Beamer, on the other hand, seemed upbeat and positive. "Really, in my mind, it's a breath of fresh air" still, why the qualifier?

I noticed there are THREE roofs: the standard metal roof, a Single-Panel Moonroof (standard on all but the base model) and the Retractable Glass Roof (optional on all but the base).

Anybody else see the designers video? The comments seem tepid.IMHO Wolff: ".design........hopefully will create desire"? Soo Kang: "To me, this is a visionary interior"?

It is or it isn't.

They just designed the new face of Lincoln ferchrissake! Be forceful, be positive.

Max Wolff looked really tired! Darrell Beamer, on the other hand, seemed upbeat and positive. "Really, in my mind, it's a breath of fresh air" still, why the qualifier?

They are eccentric artists, so expect them to be quirky. They are trying to be humble I guess! LOL I noticed so many different inconsistent roof/decklid looks. The Insideline video had a body colored roof with a glass, standard moonroof. Some of the pictures show a full, metal trunklid, some show the semi-circle rear window base iin black, some show the semi-circle base in body color, some have quarter panel mast antennas, some do not. All I could conclude was these are pre-production and may change before arriving in dealerships. I also see 3.7 models with quad tail pipe openings. Then the gray one in NY live photos has the dual openings not quad.

I remember when the 2010 Taurus official photos first came out, they had photos with separate dual exhausts on the non-SHO models but when it actually came to production only Ecoboost SHO's had true dual exhausts and the standard 3.5 had paired dual exhausts.

Edited by hbalek

Ok just got back from the first press day at the show....I'll share my experience and thoughts! The Lincoln presentation was really nice and refreshing....the stand (which was far away from the Ford stand and among other premium luxury brands) was an clean open space of just bleacher stand seats facing an open area awaiting the show, with a live chamber group playing comtemporary classic music. All the major FMC brass where there but except Mulally (Fields, JC Mays, Farley, Wolff) Nothing new learned in the actual presentation compared to what we already read in the last few days....Fields talked about the importance of Lincoln, Farley talked about how they expect to transform the Lincoln customer experience and then a sand artist was brought on to create art from sand, which was shown up on the video wall. The guy worked with nothing but sand and created a wonderful mosaic that finally he transformed into the new front of the MKZ! At that point the actual MKZ's came out and Wolff was introduced to discuss their new baby.

So about the MKZ....they had 3, a 2.0EB in Smoked Quartz, with a std sunroof, another in Smoked Quartz but with the 3.7 V6 and retractable roof, and center stage was a striking Ruby Red 2.0 Hybrid with the retractable roof. The red one had a cream interior while the others were in black. Sadly they weren't allowing even the press in the cars! You could peek in from the open doors but thats it, and no trunks or hoods where opened. From what I got to feel of the interior, it was all good and the leather esp felt very supple to the touch! The tiered center console was very cool and looked very useful as well.

I must say in person any fears of how it would look were erased, as in person it really flows and has a nice presence, and the awkwardness of some press pics doesn't show in person. The wheels and tires really are impressive, and they were all production spec too! I noticed they all had tailpipe bumper trim that was NOT quad tipped like in some photos, but I think thats due to their prototype status. The detailing on the car was very impressive as well and well restrained too, esp after seeing some other new models in the show. The headlamps esp are really sharp with their floating LED lens and tiny LED side signals! The grille itself is not chrome but a matte alloy, while the chrome surrounding each side of the grille was one continuous piece, very nice. All models appear to have that black panel rear of the back glass, and it looks like the deck lid opens to the glass on the retractable models as well...I originally thought this panel would need to be stationary as it may host the roof motors.

Speaking of the roof, later when I returned they had the roof open (it was opened for the initial presentation then closed before we were allowed on stage) and so I got to poke around and take many pics of it. I'm pretty sure after seeing it all in person that the roof won't retract back further due to visibility issues....there just isn't any when it sits on the rear glass! The top glass is very darkly tinted and so they left some of the rear backlight exposed to allow you to see as needed. I will try to ask about this tomorrow to see if indeed that's the reason as the roof looks like it can move further back.

All in all, the crowd seemed to really be impressed and intrigued by the new MKZ and the uniqueness of its design really stood out from others at the show.....I think Lincoln is back!

Fusion looks better, would never look to pay a premium for this car vs. Fusion SEL/Titanium.

That certainly holds true with the present MKZ and dealership experience, but IMO that argument doesn't hold up with brand new top hat MKZ, push button trans, retractable glass top, V6 engine, 8 speed trans, and CCD suspension PLUS a much improved dealership experience with concierge service. Difference between Ford and Lincoln in a few years would be analogous to VW and Audi now. Personally, I'm not ready yet to go back down to 4 cylinder engine no matter how many turbos on it. I haven't owned a 4 cylinder car since my youth.

• Like 1

They're not going to put in a whole new transmission as a Job 2, FB.

The Detroit News speculated that an 8-speed would be included in the production MKZ when the concept MKZ was shown. Ford has never said that the MKZ would have an 8-speed.

It almost certainly will at some point, but Ford has not said when.

Edited by RichardJensen