What would you swap an Ecoboost into?

........... Drop the current Focus's tubby weight and bad road manners.................

Huh? It does weigh a bit more than some of it's competition, but at least it's solid unlike the Hyundai. Handling has never been a problem........it's best in class!

• Like 1

For Ford to fully back these Ecoboost engines some effort on their part would be required in making these things relatively easy to work with. That is in north/south, east/west applications. I'm pretty sure like most modern Ford engines that all the bracketry for the ancillary components is either built on the engine or the component itself. Gone are the days of matching pullies and brackets. Also a little help in the transmission dept would be great. For a small investment Ford could engineer bellhousings and clutch housings that would couple to popular gearboxes like the T5, TR3550, C4, 4R70W etc. That'll get things moving I'll bet.

Huh? It does weigh a bit more than some of it's competition, but at least it's solid unlike the Hyundai. Handling has never been a problem........it's best in class!

Not comparing it to its current competition. Drive one back to back with a decent 08-11 or a 04-07 2.3L car especially with the available 17 inch wheels. The current car pales. The numbers (skidpad, acceleration etc) favor the new car, but the driving experience doesn't. It feels huge and lethargic. Throw in the DSP6 auto vs the older 4F27 and the 'fun to drive' factor difference between the two gets even worse. Again, the new car supposedly outperforms the old in almost every arena. It simply doesn't FEEL like it. It just has lost something. Its less Focus and more Corrolla. All this is of course leaving out the ST/SVT etc.

Not comparing it to its current competition. Drive one back to back with a decent 08-11 or a 04-07 2.3L car especially with the available 17 inch wheels. The current car pales. The numbers (skidpad, acceleration etc) favor the new car, but the driving experience doesn't. It feels huge and lethargic. Throw in the DSP6 auto vs the older 4F27 and the 'fun to drive' factor difference between the two gets even worse. Again, the new car supposedly outperforms the old in almost every arena. It simply doesn't FEEL like it. It just has lost something. Its less Focus and more Corrolla. All this is of course leaving out the ST/SVT etc.

Considering all cars have gotten bigger due to mandatory safety standards. I had a 2011 Coupe rental and it was fun I admit but loose. The 2012 SEL w/ sport pkg held itself pretty well. To each I suppose. If you want the feel of a 05-07 but less power, take a Fiesta out. It needs more beans but in the corners, it's go cart time. My use of the DCT 6 is much more responsive when I feather the throttle instead of stab the 4A and wait. Regarding the overall FEEL is more comfort then fun is the end goal to make your second compact car or commuter a purchase you can live with and in day in/out.

Edited by Hugh

1982-1985 Ford EXP/Mercury LN7 Series I

Forgotten.

With today's brakes and transmission and suspension, a 2.0 EB would be really quick. :)

ford_exp_red_1985_c.jpg

Only problem is that I don't think the chassis would be able to deal with all that power...heck it barely hold up to the 110HP or so that was originally in the 1985 1/2 cars :)

I won't talk about the rear shock towers that rot out really easy either :)

The current car pales. The numbers (skidpad, acceleration etc) favor the new car

So the new car doesn't "pale" in comparison. Only in Europe.....in a car we didn't get......was there any complaint of the Focus losing anything. I think it that "tossible factor" that a lighter car has. I've driven several including a SVT ZX3. I loved the 6 speed. But the new one (SE to SE for example) is just better in virtually every way. It's matured.

How can that predict YOUR real world economy in comparison to other models better than the EPA tests using those means?

Tell me how the fuelly rating for my 2008 Super Duty (which sits at 13.2, BTW) will help you gauge real world mileage more accurately than you actually driving one? You have no idea how I drive, what I tow, how much city/highway driving I do, etc. Sure, you can look at all of those numbers and get an aggregate, but it tells you nothing if you don't know the circumstances.

Obviously you cant't just look at one vehicle and assume you're going to get the same mileage. Lets be realistic here. If you read what I wrote, you'll find that I take MANY different outlets into account INCLUDING the EPA figures.

And seriously, how am I supposed to drive a vehicle long enough prior to driving it to give me an idea what I will see? Again, that's irrational. That is why we have things like reviews and multiple sources. It's far easier to read a couple reviews on a vehicle than to test drive it for a month.

• 1 year later...

My 1985 Ford Ranger Base 2.0l 5spd. You see unlike more modern Rangers, the 1985 base is a relatively light vehicle. With a full tank of gas it weights around 2600 pounds (i picked up some 500 pounds of sand last week, that's what the scale at the landscaping supply place said). Lets assume the eco-boost adds 100 pounds to my truck. I'd be looking at a power to weight ratio of about 11 pounds per horse power, not bad!

I had a '90 Ranger regular cab 2wd that I swapped a 2.3T out of an '88 Thunderbird into. It had a ported head, SS header, 3" exhaust, larger injectors and a tune. Had the stock M5OD with stage 3 clutch and a 3.73 L/S 8.8 out of an Explorer. Made a lot closer to 300 than the stock 190 hp in thunderchicken form.

It certainly made that 3100 lb Ranger move with authority. Nothing like breaking the tires loose at 70 mph in third gear.

Unfortunately I decided to trade it to make room for my 2011 when I bought it. My best friend tried to talk me out of trading it at the time but I was thinking too logically and ignored him. I've wished I still had it ever since.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

My first truck was a 90 Ranger reg cab swb 2wd. Burgundy. 2.3 manual. Came with A/C, sliding rear window, am/fm/cassette with FOUR speakers! and chrome wheels. $7995.

0-60? Yes. :)

Traded it for a 95 ext cab 4.0L manual. Sometimes I wish I still had the 95.

Mine was burgundy too! Well the parts of it that hadn't succumbed to road salt by the time I got it anyways. I ended up fixing the body and painted it British Racing Green after I got done with the engine swap. Looked pretty sharp.

Weird--I had a '97 Ranger long box that was green. I did an engine swap, too, for a 5.0. Of course, I also swapped the rest of the truck along with the engine, trading it to my dad for his '91 F-150. :victory:

My 89 is burgundy...lol... This is a basic truck. No p/s and no radio (from the factory). 2.3L 5 speed with 331K miles. It's very tired and I'm tryting to make a decision on which way to go. Stock 2.3 rebuild, 2.3 Turbo swap, 5.0L swap or...??????

My 89 is burgundy...lol... This is a basic truck. No p/s and no radio (from the factory). 2.3L 5 speed with 331K miles. It's very tired and I'm tryting to make a decision on which way to go. Stock 2.3 rebuild, 2.3 Turbo swap, 5.0L swap or...??????

I was actually looking into a 5.0 (302 OHV, not the Coyote) swap for my Ranger. All the parts were readily available for it (they even had adapters for Tremecs), but I ended up swapping trucks instead.

BTW, I'd thought my Ranger was a Sally Rand Edition, but my '91 F-150 Custom was even more of one. It had AC, cruise control, 4WD, and the 302, but that was it as far as options went. It didn't even have a headliner, just painted metal above your head. It was weird--there was this rectangle of plastic trim around the upper seat belt mount, but exposed metal above and below. There's no way you could get away with that these days; people just expect more attention to detail, even in work trucks.

Go 2.3T. The power comes on just slow enough that it really helps the tires keep traction. The V8 swaps usually end up being tire burners. Mine would hook surprisingly well with the stock leaf spring setup.

It won't be much extra work than stock 2.3 rebuild would be. The wiring/ECU swap is the easiest part - switch a few pins on the box connector and run a few new wires for the Vane Air Meter and MAP sensor and that's about it. I used an after market boost control solenoid on mine - much easier than trying to get the thunderbird system grafted in. The internal wastegate on the turbo was good for 9 psi of boost which resulted in more engine than the 4.0L V6 Ranger. The boost control solenoid upped it to about 17-18 psi boost which was about max on 93 pump gas and was a real hoot to drive at that point.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv