Ford mulls Ranchero reprise for small-truck market

How much bigger is an F650 than a Transit Connect?

Having taken the "tourist tour of DTP and having toured KTP as a customer when KTP was a heavy truck plant and the Mack plant at Macungie PA, I have difficulty seeing a unibody vehicle such as a Transit Connect coming down the same line as a heavy vehicle such as a 650/750 with a conventional ladder type frame. I guess you could make the case that the robots that are welding a TC structure together, could just as easily be programed to weld the cab structure of a medium truck together before that cab was routed to the frame assembly line but sounds like the two vehicles are hardly compatible.

I'm sure there are many Ford line workers on this site who have some very good opinions on this based on their experience.

Building any variation of the Transit Connect in the US or Canada would not be cost effective, although there is capacity at Avon Lake and Oakville.

While I would love to see Transit Connect built in the good ole US of A, the reality is, it will likely go to Cuautitlan Assembly in Mexico if production is brought to North America....but I am still hoping for Avon Lake... :rockon:

• Like 1

Sounds like the Fiesta plant is going to get the Transit Connect in 2016 or so

http://wardsauto.com/plants-amp-production/ford-add-c-car-mix-mexico-fiesta-shifts-thailand

Though I wonder how that is going to affect importing the Fiesta into the US?

That article would give every indication that Transit Connect and any planned derivatives of Transit Connect would finally find a "home" in North America....

What this the status of getting cars from Thailand to the US? AFAIK, no one else does it.

No one does it in a big scale because three reasons:

1. Auto sales are booming in ASEAN and everyone need the capacity for local sales.

2. The cars made in Thailand tends to be small compact and cheap cars, not the kind of car favored by US market.

3. The main exports from Thailand outside the ASEAN countries is pickup trucks (Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton L200, Nissan Navara, Ford Ranger, Isuzu Rodeo, Chevy Colorado are all build there for export worldwide), which is blocked from the US due to chicken tax.

Ford probably would have imported the Ranger from Thailand if the US-Thailand Free Trade Agreement didn't get scuttled by the military coup there (we are talking 2 coups ago). That was the plan anyway. Without the FTA, chicken tax got in the way of the business case and the Ranger was gone.

Chrysler imported some Eagle Summit in the early 90s from Thailand. Mitsubishi is currently selling Mirage from Thailand.

lead5-2014-mitsubishi-mirage-review.jpg

Edited by bzcat

That article would give every indication that Transit Connect and any planned derivatives of Transit Connect would finally find a "home" in North America....

Based on that article, I would say that Cuautitlan, Mexico would be the second North American source, after MAP, of C platform vehicles with what ever "top hat" Ford has planned. Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

I can see what Ford might be thinking with a truck below the existing "mid sized" trucks, including its own Ranger.

I think the current crop have grown too big for most intended buyers and something lighter, more economical

but with reasonable capability is needed, something akin to the mazda b-Series/Ford Courier of 1986-1998,

maybe reinvented using modern techniques and solutions:

Next Gen Compact Platform, Stamped steel unitary chassis, AWD transmission, 2.0 Ecoboost power.

A smallish truck that can carry and tow similar amounts as Tacoma and Colorado, slightly lower price point?

1999crcb.jpg

It could be a good plan for Ford to do something different and play off base to the others,
everyone may win by finding different buyers who want different things from their trucks.
Ford could offer more economy but less ultimate capability without overlapping its half ton F150

Edited by jpd80

I wouldn't mind seeing a modernized version of a Ranchero type vehicle. Especially when you are loading appliances like washers, dryers, refridgerators, etc. in & out of it all the time. It would definitely have it's niche market and it would be easier for folks who do have existing knee/back and other medical ailments also. Yes, there is a benefit to it but would would the ultimate design be based off? Nobody knows, but like I said...just to have another choice for a vehicle out there for Ford should be considered.

Based on that article, I would say that Cuautitlan, Mexico would be the second North American source, after MAP, of C platform vehicles with what ever "top hat" Ford has planned.

It would the 3rd...

Wayne: Focus, C-Max

Louisville: Escape, MKC

Cuautitlan: Transit Connect, something else (as speculated)

Remember, Ford is also working on a Prius-like hybrid/PHEV only car which will most likely share the C3 platform... so they could use more C-car capacity in NAFTA zone.

This is the problems with the Transit connect are

• it heavy, like 3800lbs as a Van.
  • is too close in size to the Ranger
  • it's rear suspension module isn't AWD capable
  • cannot reach 35+MPG.

AFAIK Cuautitlan is/was a 2 (short) line plant, it was producing the F-series and the Ikon at he same time.

I could see this happening.

• North American Fiesta production moved to Asia.
  • EcoSport production for Europe and North America moved to Mexico.
  • C3 production added to Cuautitlan to handle overflow Focus production
  • Transit Connect production added for North and South America.
  • A subcompact 35+ Mpg pickup version of the AWD EcoSport.

or

This happening.

• Transit Connect production added to LAP for North and South America.
  • Escape production added to MAP
  • Overflow Focus production added to Mexico
  • North American Fiesta production moved to Asia.
  • EcoSport production for Europe and North America moved to Mexico.
  • A subcompact 35+ Mpg pickup version of the FWD/AWD EcoSport.

<p>

• cannot reach 35+MPG.

This happening.

• Overflow Focus production added to Mexico

Why would you have overflow production of a product produced in a factory with scheduled down weeks spanning into next year?

• cannot reach 35+MPG.

The SWB Transit Connect van is more like 3500 pounds and 174 inches long. The LWB Transit Connect is about 3600 pounds and 190 inches long. That places it at about the same length as the old North American extended cab Ranger. I don't remember the weight of the old ranger.

Edited by CurtisH