'15 Edge First Drive/Review

Just a heads up, I posted the link in the Edge forum.

Nobody would see it there, IMO.

---

I don't get their complaint on the flat black plastic on the center stack.....I mean I do, as I agree it's not the best looking....but when they put the glossy trim there, the same auto rags complain about the fingerprints....seems like they can't win.

• Like 1

---

I don't get their complaint on the flat black plastic on the center stack.....I mean I do, as I agree it's not the best looking....but when they put the glossy trim there, the same auto rags complain about the fingerprints....seems like they can't win.

Their job is to find stuff to bitch about, and as TTAC proved, some are willing to blatantly lie about it. People are more willing to latch onto the negative over the positive.

• Like 2

Ford has made a business of using the Edge for conquest sales – 50 percent of the 2014 model's sales came from other brands, including some premium makes. With the 2015 Edge, we don't see there being any trouble continuing that trend.

Nice.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with The Fast Lane Car (chances are yes), but they put up a video review of the Edge Sport.

Looks like a sport model there. I can't play the video now so I'll take your word for it.

---

You're probably right but I wasn't ragging on anybody for the record.

As for the center stack, my Escape has the glossy trim from above the knee down to the cupholders. It is nice looking, stains easily with prints and it creaks noticeably when your knee rests on it. You reach over to adjust the HVAC controls and brush against it, it creaks and sounds loose and thin. I'm not overly concerned because I have been in other modern cars and it is common. It is a minor gripe and if that's all they got, the Edge might be pretty darn good then.

---

I agree with you pretty much word for word. That said, given the attention interiors are getting from Ford and the more premium feel they're trying to put into the brand's higher trim lines, I would like to see Ford cook up something a little...more into that specific area. Maybe something as simple as a softer- feeling plastic, after all auto journos loooove their soft materials, to get rid of the "cheap material" feel.

You're probably right but I wasn't ragging on anybody for the record.

As for the center stack, my Escape has the glossy trim from above the knee down to the cupholders. It is nice looking, stains easily with prints and it creaks noticeably when your knee rests on it. You reach over to adjust the HVAC controls and brush against it, it creaks and sounds loose and thin. I'm not overly concerned because I have been in other modern cars and it is common. It is a minor gripe and if that's all they got, the Edge might be pretty darn good then.

I have similar issues with our 14 Escape Titanium. We'll probably trade it for a new Edge at some point.

We stepped down rom the Edge to the Escape because my wife felt it was too large as a daily drive for one person going back and forth to work. The Escape feels like better fit for her and can still tow our boats to Maine in spring if it ever shows up that is> I assume that the Edge has maintained its 3500 tow capacity.

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with The Fast Lane Car (chances are yes), but they put up a video review of the Edge Sport.

Urrrggg that video shows my biggest styling pet peeve. They just couldn't center that bottom fascia air intake could they? Or make it even at least.

Urrrggg that video shows my biggest styling pet peeve. They just couldn't center that bottom fascia air intake could they? Or make it even at least.

That's one of those things that, once seen, cannot be unseen. That is ALL I will notice now when I see them on the road.

Just like the Kia Optima's GIGANTIC front overhang.

I agree with you pretty much word for word. That said, given the attention interiors are getting from Ford and the more premium feel they're trying to put into the brand's higher trim lines, I would like to see Ford cook up something a little...more into that specific area. Maybe something as simple as a softer- feeling plastic, after all auto journos loooove their soft materials, to get rid of the "cheap material" feel.

Sure, makes sense. If Ford gets some more money, this piece looks like a one piece mold that goes to the armrest. Like I said, the cars I've been in have similar feel. If the mold was perhaps thicker or tighten up more, meh whatever I say.

Edited by Hugh

I will start by saying the overall package appears to be very nice. Ok then -no comments on the reported 10 sec 0-60 time noted in the write up? 10 sec 0-60 in a $44k vehicle? No wonder my lone Ford is surrounded by BMW's and Audi's on the evening commute. I am willing to consider this a miss-understanding and see what other performance reviews have to say.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I had a 2012 Edge ecoboost and it was no slouch 0-60. It seemed to lose its steam in the higher speeds though. I doubt Ford is going to release a slower ecoboost 4 in the Edge. It just comes to down lazy journalism to say around 10 seconds (subjective?). I will wait for the instrument tested reviews and my personal test drive before I pass judgement. From the reviews (first tests, drive etc) the Edge Sport sounds like a winner but a little pricey.

Edited by jcartwright99