MK Naming Scheme NOT Going Away

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029198_new-lincoln-continental-debuting-at-2016-detroit-auto-show-report

From Lincoln's marketing manager, Imran Jalal.

One other tidbit revealed by Jalal about the new Continental was that the car’s grille may spread to more Lincolns, possibly bringing an end to the current waterfall treatment. Sadly, Jalal also hinted that there would be no end to the current MK naming practice, with the Continental and Navigator nameplates set to be the only exceptions.

I think they mean the cars with a MK name that are successful won't be renamed as there is equity in those names, but I can't see them coming up with a new MKT. So MKZ,X and C will be around for new generations of cars. It seems like the higher end cars will get the real names and the MKT will maybe be an Aviator... (One can hope as that is a really good name).

Uh huh. Zephyr wasn't going to change initially either.

That said, other than Aviator and Mark I am not sure there are many great names to draw from.

Your second point I'm pretty on board with. To your first, I think the Zephyr/MKZ kerfuffle is probably quite relevant because threir experience with that has probably convinced Lincoln the naming scheme shouldn't disappear overnight. If it were Lincoln's plan to do away with the MK names, it makes a lot of sense to do so gradually as vehicles have their ground-up redesign rather than re-naming models midstream.

There is a whole pool of Mercury names that could be reused. There are many presidents where names have jumped makes.

Mariner would be consistant with the navigational themes of Navigator and Aviator.

Calienté, Capri, Voga... And I still like Zephyr.

Cougar is out though because it got ruined by slang which corrupted it within the past decade.

Anyway Lincoln shouldn't be making so many vehicles that they run out of names. But the MK shi¡t has to go!!!

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 2

This is a very smart and sensible decision. Changing the names yet again is kind of pointless. Just make better cars that will appear to Chinese buyers.

One thing they should look into is adding rationale into the MK names. The order of the letter probably should denote size or price. If MKC is supposed to be the entry level SUV, then I can see the future compact sedan being named MKE to make some sense of the naming system.

Smaller Lincolns: C-D-E

Mid size Lincolns: X-Y-Z

Large Lincolns: Continental, Navigator

Edited by bzcat

Not reported in the OP article but other publication did pick up: Imran Jalal also said there will not be hybrid or PHEV Continental, which in my opinion is a mistake. This is especially true since he is saying Lincoln will not be a performance brand... seems like they are knee-capping Continental even before it gets out. How do you go the whole "not performance" route at the same time without putting some emphasis on PHEV?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/luxury-not-performance-at-lincoln-and-the-continental-bows-at-detroit/

Jalal confirmed an all-wheel-drive version. A hybrid is not in the cards any time soon.
Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Not reported in the OP article but other publication did pick up: Imran Jalal also said there will not be hybrid or PHEV Continental, which in my opinion is a mistake. This is especially true since he is saying Lincoln will not be a performance brand... seems like they are knee-capping Continental even before it gets out. How do you go the whole "not performance" route at the same time without putting some emphasis on PHEV?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/luxury-not-performance-at-lincoln-and-the-continental-bows-at-detroit/

You wait for the CD6 version?

There is a whole pool of Mercury names that could be reused. There are many presidents where names have jumped makes.

Mariner would be consistant with the navigational themes of Navigator and Aviator.

Calienté, Capri, Voga... And I still like Zephyr.

Cougar is out though because it got ruined by slang which corrupted it within the past decade.

Anyway Lincoln shouldn't be making so many vehicles that they run out of names. But the MK shi¡t has to go!!!

I highly doubt any respectable person would get in let alone buy a car named Caliente.

MKZ, X and C i feel will stay till at least the end of the decade or until the all those cars are fully redesigned.

I also wouldn't count on Zephyr coming back, its just too old sounding and doesnt have the history continental has to warrant a comeback.

• Like 1

This is a very smart and sensible decision. Changing the names yet again is kind of pointless. Just make better cars that will appear to Chinese buyers.

One thing they should look into is adding rationale into the MK names. The order of the letter probably should denote size or price. If MKC is supposed to be the entry level SUV, then I can see the future compact sedan being named MKE to make some sense of the naming system.

Smaller Lincolns: C-D-E

Mid size Lincolns: X-Y-Z

Large Lincolns: Continental, Navigator

unless the smaller-than-Z sedan is targeting the "highest volume luxury segment"

=

3er & friends

then

imho

it needs a Name

You wait for the CD6 version?

Its because at the moment, FRAP is in no way capable of building hybrids, and is likely not going to be for the near future.

How can you be so sure of that? There hasn't really been any indication that they are planning on doing any performance oriented Lincolns at all.

I'm not sure of it at all. bzcat said why wasn't Ford doing a phev version of the Continental IF they weren't doing a performance based Lincoln. My counter was maybe they are planning a performance Lincoln sedan based on CD6 (as a way of explaining why they aren't doing PHEVs now).