It's official: for police, the Ford Taurus and Explorer are the new Crown Vic

4 years since the last Panther rolled down the line.

Some taxi company in NY stockplied a bunch, then they were flooded by Hurricane Sandy.

Used to see mostly used CV-PI taxis in Chicago, now a mix of Camry, Prius, Escape, CMax hybrids.

Cops seem to love the Explorers, plenty of room.

When the new Taurus and Explorer Police Interceptors first came out government agencies were splitting their orders equally between the two models. Now they're almost all buying the Explorer exclusively because there's so much more room. This observation is based only on our dealership's fleet sales which I deal with closely.

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 2

My Department is still buying Chargers for Patrol Units :doh: Many of them are starting to blow engines in the 130K range. :cry:

They just decided to purchase the Taurus (Non-Interceptor) for Admin and Investigations. ($5,000 cheaper)

Edited by danglin

If your police dept is SWAT certified (at least here in Florida), the Impala trunk will barely fit all that's require for the officer to carry. At that point those agencies are growing to the Explorer, the extra room surely helps, and it's not that much more price wise.

Seattle PD did a comprehensive look at the field, in fact they still have a handful of Tahoes, Chargers, etc in service that they bought for their tests. In the end they chose Explorer(Ultility Interceptor), even when the previous mayor initially refused to sign off because he wanted more study of Hybrid vehicle options. It's the class of the field, plain and simple.

Well, lets just hope that Ford does not "orphan" the Interceptors again when Explorer and Taurus get their redesign to CD4. Sedan and utility Interceptor should be likewise brought to CD4 as well.....Utility Interceptor sales have not "hurt" Explorer sales and well...Taurus sales are what they are due to it being a full size sedan and not because of sedan Interceptor sales...

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

There was talk of Taurus being discontinued, sales aren't that great they say, but I see a ton of them here in New England.......where would that put the police version?

They can keep the current version if needed. Or ditch the sedan and just go with the Utility only. Or make a Fusion/CD4 version. Or make a new CD6 version.

A police commander told me the new police Explorers on patrol duty use more even more gas than the old CVPIs did, around 12mpg. Has anyone else heard that?

If they're driving like the Hi-Po I witnessed on I-29 2 years ago I can believe it. I was going 75mph and he blew by me twice going at least 90mph.. By the smell of his exhaust the cat converters had to be glowing! No lights, just hauling ass.

Just seems as though the Taurus; if it were just a few inches wider on both sides. It would be darn near perfect. It's got plenty of head room and space. Don't get me wrong...

But it's that space capsule type seating with that yuppie cup holder center console that really turns me off to them.

I prefer either a bucket seat type seating where you can install your own custom console or just going back to a classic bench seat. (as an option of course)

Remember, not everybody likes the limited options offered on these newer vehicles.