Do all cars rattle?

My 2015 Edge has rattled worse than a can of rustoleum for most of its life.

It's just spent it's third week-long visit at the dealer, and the most consistent rattle is still there.

The Fusion loaner I had, with 3,000 miles on it, rattled too, and left me wondering if I'm overly sensitive.

My Flex has some rattles, but it's six years old and has nearly 100k miles on it.

I have a '13 MKZh with 32k miles and have yet to have a rattle. On the other hand, I had a 2015 Escape that had a very loud rattle straight out of the factory. It turned out to be the gas lines touching at the fuel tank. I was really disappointed with this vehicle.

Edited by hermans

My MKS has never had a rattle. It is the tightest and best built car I ever had. My LS had a rattle in the B pillar trim but was easily fixed with some felt. My Ranger developed a squeak in the door panel but, again, some silicone lube solved it. I have never had an unwanted noise in a car that I couldn't track down and fix.....except maybe my mother-in-law's constant chatter.....

• Like 2

From the factory My 2016 MKX has an occasional creak in the front cowl near the windshield at the base of the A-Pillar which likes to get louder in the summer heat. I use to have creaks in the windshield but that seems to have stopped.

All of my 2007, 2011, and 2013 MKX had creaks in the vista roof when it was cold, and my '13 MKX had a very loud banging creaking in the rear of the car which was louder in the cold.

Everything seems to be temperature related.

My 2013 Escape Titanium had the most rattles of any car I've ever owned, right from the factory and got MUCH worse with age. Some cars just seem to age very badly and the Escape is certainly that. Just grabbing the door handle in that Escape causes creaking, one of the reasons I just won't spend that kind of money on a Ford anymore, that car was nearly $40K with the solidity of a 10 year old Kia.

The only car I've ever owned without any rattles or creaks is my first car, a used '96 Ford Taurus GL with 130K miles. Of course everything else was wrong with it, but it went about it quietly ;)

Edited by BORG

Unfortunately this is something I think Ford needs to improve on. My ford vehicles have been pretty much bulletproof, however several of them have had rattles, which drive me insane. My Raptor developed one in the pillar by the drivers shoulder early on, which the dealer never seems to be able to duplicate when I have taken it in for it, but magically appears when I pick it up. I'm going to have to figure it out myself it looks like. Rattles can give the impression that the vehicles aren't built well, even though they are, which is why I think it is an important aspect to improve on.

'05 LS with 130K has no rattles, neither did my '03 with 105K but my '00 had a small one, which was a flex creak when I would fly over the diagonal train tracks at an intersection. My MKX has 40K so far, and it did have one "creak" which I was able to let the dealer take care of it. Took quite some pain for him to get into the B-Pillar to take care of it, but it goes fixed. I live in a city in Orlando where they insist on using brick pavers to "slow" down traffic, and I find going 10-15MPH you get over the "problem" quicker so I'm shocked I don't deal with that.

I will say I have a friend with a '05 Mazda5, and that's a rattle trap. The whole things just rattles constantly, even as it's rolling on smooth pavement. Obviously she won't be buying a Mazda again.

I rattly car gives the impression of not being well designed or bolted together (GM under stands this quite well)...

My 2008 Escape with 90k has some rattles here and there... door panel and dash sounds.... comes and goes too.

Nice to see I'm not the only one driven crazy by rattles, maybe i'll report mine next time my maintenance is ready.

Edited by probowler

I spent the weekend "up north" and to get to my sisters place, you have to drive 4 miles on a hard dirt road. Recent storms caused a lot of wash boarding and I was pleasantly surprised there were no rattles on the way in or out on my 2017 Fusion. So, to answer the Op's question, no, all cars don't rattle.

183k on my '09 Focus. Only started rattling in the dash when my road was chip-sealed, and only rattles on my road.

No rattles in my wife's '11 Escape (52k), or either of my daughters Escapes ('04 (125k) and '07 (99k))

You passed me! The shorter commute to FRAP for the last year probably did it....

I would NOT put up with a rattle. Of course, if there is a structural weakness deep in the bowels of the vehicle, it might be nearly impossible to fix. However, the vast majority of interior noises - whether brought about due to cold, heat or just loosening up of pieces over time - can be eliminated with some felt, pieces of rubber or even sometimes a dab of silicone spray.

I travel for business and have rented many cars over the years and some have had rattles. I recall an Impala a few years ago that had a nasty rattle around the radio bezel. I kept tearing off little pieces of a map and sticking it between two trim pieces. Once I corrected one rattle, a buzz would start in a different spot. By the time I returned the car, the map was nearly gone but the car was quiet!