Ford Ousts CEO Fields

I'll be happy if I can just get a RWD station wagon with a manual transmission and a diesel mill. That's not asking much, is it?

I would just be happy with continuity of trims between vehicles.

I have a Focus SE with the cold weather package. Came with a heated wheel. Not standard on the F-150 XLT 302A or Escape Titanium without the top of the line tech package. Why?

Can get LED headlights and taillights one Fusion SE but need Lariat 502A on F150, Focus ST or RS or Titanium Tech package on Escape. Why?

And don't even get me started on the Sport packages. Why on earth would Ford offer a trim package to remove chrome from the vehicle, then stick chrome badging on it? Why? No logic whatsoever.

/rant

• Like 1

And don't even get me started on the Sport packages. Why on earth would Ford offer a trim package to remove chrome from the vehicle, then stick chrome badging on it? Why? No logic whatsoever.

/rant

+1!

I always found it so stupid on the Flex Titanium (in 2010 or so) how they took every single piece of chrome and painted it black (beltline trim, grille, headlights, taillights, rear panel, etc. Then they proceed to put chrome rims on it! Why?

I would just be happy with continuity of trims between vehicles.

I have a Focus SE with the cold weather package. Came with a heated wheel. Not standard on the F-150 XLT 302A or Escape Titanium without the top of the line tech package. Why?

Can get LED headlights and taillights one Fusion SE but need Lariat 502A on F150, Focus ST or RS or Titanium Tech package on Escape. Why?

/rant

This seems to be an area across all models that needs to be addressed.

While Ford approaches bundling of options to make the build process efficient,

it needs to remember the importance of satisfying customers needs and preferences.

Sometimes, it feels like packages are offered as a lowest common denominator of crunched statistics,

a kind of flawed mentality that sees the craziness of changes and groupings that sometimes confuse

an infuriate customers that want basic items you'd expect would be a simple add on..

Surely, Ford has enough data on its customers to know what they like and how most want to order

and option up their cars - maybe cost savings are getting in the way of better product delivery.

Good grief, how did we get back to there so quickly.

Edited by jpd80

Can go on and on, but who are the best selling car makers? Not trucks? Toyota and Honda. What do they do? Bundling.

The 1960's/70's era of 100's of options and millions of combinations, ie. "1 of 1 Lime Green Torino with 429 v8, brown interior, and power windows" is over and too complicated to ensure quality.

"Is it too much to ask?" Yes, since volume car makers are a business not an "entertainment program".

Anyway, auto writers have said Fields "didn't articulate future plans", i.e. he p'o'ed sensitive investors, so 'new faces please'. They wanted to see "Driverless SUV's by 2019" I think.

New guy from Steelcase? Let's see what happens. Expect no 'manual trans diesel wagons' [unicorn cars]

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Can go on and on, but who are the best selling car makers? Not trucks? Toyota and Honda. What do they do? Bundling...

wonder how it works: treating your customers like toyonda buyers?

&

along the lines of my wondering how cheap options could be if standard-&-included

+ along the lines of HOW to communicate to shoppers;

Wonder if there could be seasonal specials with diff features, showing the savings over what they'd be if special ordered, implying (rubbing their noses in) the extra feature is FREE...compared to what it is/was outside the offer/or last year

• Like 1

I'll be happy if I can just get a RWD station wagon with a manual transmission and a diesel mill. That's not asking much, is it?

The RWD part may be asking much. Ford currently offers FWD diesel powered wagons with manual transmission in Europe.

2-format2010.jpg

FEA29096_5-ford-mondeo-turnier-20tdci-le

• Like 1

/rant

Yes that always pissed me of about our Explorer Sport. When it first came out in 2013, it also had chrome door handles. I had them painted black to rectify thst. It made no sense to try to black out the vehicle and then leave those chrome bits. Just dumb.

Don't get me started on the fact that you couldn't get HID headlights or the power fold rear seat as well.

The RWD part may be asking much. Ford currently offers FWD diesel powered wagons with manual transmission in Europe.

2-format2010.jpg

FEA29096_5-ford-mondeo-turnier-20tdci-le

I like both of those better than anything Ford sells in North America today but know neither will ever be sold here.

• Like 1

Perhaps you and 15 other people in this country lIke them. That's why you won't see them here.

Maybe, but the painful fact that you can get a Focus ST wagon in Europe is kinda heartbreaking when its only brand-sibling equivalent over here is the ugly blob known as the slow-selilng C-Max.

Yes, trends have people buying more and more baby CUVs that have AWD but never even see dirt roads, and have an extra foot of bodywork height/weight compared to an equivalent wagon.

Subaru actually took risks like that, including WRX wagons. They're the most-loved freakin' car brand in our market right now, despite the fact that they're getting way too "normal", nowadays. In any case, a small "sportwagon" remains attractive to some of us (I'll bet more than 15), and would likely do decently with even moderate advertising effort.

Can go on and on, but who are the best selling car makers? Not trucks? Toyota and Honda. What do they do? Bundling.

The 1960's/70's era of 100's of options and millions of combinations, ie. "1 of 1 Lime Green Torino with 429 v8, brown interior, and power windows" is over and too complicated to ensure quality.

"Is it too much to ask?" Yes, since volume car makers are a business not an "entertainment program".

Anyway, auto writers have said Fields "didn't articulate future plans", i.e. he p'o'ed sensitive investors, so 'new faces please'. They wanted to see "Driverless SUV's by 2019" I think.

New guy from Steelcase? Let's see what happens. Expect no 'manual trans diesel wagons' [unicorn cars]

I don't have an issue with bundling, it's how Ford applies it that sometimes is confusing.

There's been instances where checking a bundled option has prevented the buyer from having other things

that buyer would normally expect to be available. All I'm saying for is that Ford review its data and see if

more sales could be achieved by eliminating a few conflicts.......

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with bundling, it's how Ford applies it that sometimes is confusing.

There's been instances where checking a bundled option has prevented the buyer from having other things

that buyer would normally expect to be available. All I'm saying for is that Ford review its data and see if

more sales could be achieved by eliminating a few conflicts.......

That's what we (namely Pioneer) have been saying. Aside from the heated steering wheel he mentioned, there's zero reason why if I were to order a Focus with a 1.0EB, cold weather package and appearance package that the minute I check the box for the 6 speed manual transmission I suddenly can't get any of that. Or how about the Focus ST only getting heated seats/wheel and HID headlights with the ST3 package. That should be standard for a car that shares a base price with the titanium.
  • Like 1

That's what we (namely Pioneer) have been saying. Aside from the heated steering wheel he mentioned, there's zero reason why if I were to order a Focus with a 1.0EB, cold weather package and appearance package that the minute I check the box for the 6 speed manual transmission I suddenly can't get any of that. Or how about the Focus ST only getting heated seats/wheel and HID headlights with the ST3 package. That should be standard for a car that shares a base price with the titanium.

Sounds like Ford needs to work on its packages across the lineup so they match for each product line as much as possible. It really doesn't make any sense to offer, for example, a heated steering wheel on a Focus and not on the C-Max or Escape (well till recently) when they use almost identical wiring harnesses. Top trim models should get HID or LED lighting if its an option.

• Like 1

Ford said Wednesday that new CEO Jim Hackett is eligible for at least $13.4 million in total annual compensation.

​​​His prececessor, Mark Fields, meanwhile, who was ousted by the board over the company's 37 percent stock slide, could walk away with about $57.5 million in compensation, Bloomberg reports. The bulk of Fields' consolation prize is in unvested stock awards worth $29.4 million, as of Wednesday's close, that will vest through 2020. Fields also is eligible for $17.5 million in retirement benefits, stock options worth $8.1 million and an incentive bonus of about $2.1 million.

Hackett, 62, a former chief executive of furniture manufacturer Steelcase, was named to replace Fields on Monday.

Hackett will earn a $1.8 million annual salary, up from $716,000 at his previous job as chairman of the Ford unit developing self-driving cars and related projects.

He will receive $7 million in stock-based compensation and pocket a $1 million bonus for becoming CEO. He is also eligible for an annual bonus of up to $3.6 million, plus compensation from his service at Ford's mobility unit. Some of the compensation for Hackett will vest over three years. Hackett was elected to Ford's board effective Friday.

Fields will retire from the company effective Aug. 1. He resigned from the Ford board immediately. He will be eligible for pro-rated incentive compensation through Aug. 1, a company retirement program, a voluntary separation program offered to some management employees.

In March, Ford said Fields received total compensation of $22.1 million for 2016, up nearly 19 percent from $18.6 million.

• Like 1

Also, here are other personnel shufflings:

Hackett said after discussing some management changes Monday that "there's more to come later in the week that will round out my team." This morning, Ford announced those changes:
  • Raj Nair to lead Ford North America; Steven Armstrong will lead Ford of Europe, Middle East & Africa; Peter Fleet to lead Ford Asia Pacific.
  • Dave Schoch retiring after 40-year career at Ford.
  • Hau Thai-Tang to lead Global Product Development and Purchasing.
  • Sherif Marakby rejoins Ford as vice president, autonomous vehicles and electrification.
  • Ken Washington named vice president, Research and Advanced Engineering, and chief technology officer.
  • Neil Schloss appointed vice president and chief financial officer, Mobility.
  • Kenneth R. Kent named vice president and treasurer.
  • Bradley Gayton named group vice president, chief administrative officer and general counsel.
  • Jeff Lemmer named chief operating officer, Information Technology.

Raj Nair is now in charge of Ford NA to answer that question.

---

These last two posts were sourced from this Autoblog article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/25/ford-ceo-pay-other-job-changes-announced/