2019 Lincoln MKX renamed Nautilus

You hate the name so much, you made it your profile picture?

It was either that or a picture of Aquaman.

Speaking of, to the guys here that have insiders, you should pitch replacing Matthew McConaughey with Jason Momoa. Could probably get some licensing deal with DC so he could wear the costume in the commercials and product placement in some movies. Could be a win-win.

• Like 1

It was either that or a picture of Aquaman.

Speaking of, to the guys here that have insiders, you should pitch replacing Matthew McConaughey with Jason Momoa. Could probably get some licensing deal with DC so he could wear the costume in the commercials and product placement in some movies. Could be a win-win.

You've gone full curmudgeon and I absolutely love it. Don't change.

• Like 1

Not going to lie. Had to look curmudgeon up.

Wouldn't say I'm angry. Maybe I'm coming across like that. I'm frustrated. I'm sick and tired of Ford making decisions that make my profit sharing smaller and steal resources from programs that could succeed.

Lincoln will never be a serious luxury carmaker. Ever. Doesn't matter how much they invest, doesn't matter what the name of it is.

So we get you dont like the name, so what would you have proposed?

I would have left it the way it is.I can see putting a name on a brand new model,but not changing an existing model given a refresh. It was mentioned in one of the videos that no name badge was going on the rear. If I bought one of these, I would tell my salesman to be sure MKX is added to the lift gate when it's ready for me to pick up. That would solve my issue.

• Like 1

Wouldn't say I'm angry. Maybe I'm coming across like that. I'm frustrated. I'm sick and tired of Ford making decisions that make my profit sharing smaller and steal resources from programs that could succeed.

Lincoln will never be a serious luxury carmaker. Ever. Doesn't matter how much they invest, doesn't matter what the name of it is.

What do you want them to do with Lincoln? Dump about 10 billion into Lincoln and recreate the mythical German sports luxury sedan? Ask Cadillac how that is going with selling their cars. I actually think Lincoln's approach is very pragmatic and sensible for now. Should the Aviator and mustang based car be out already? Sure! Are they increasing sales, transaction prices, gaining a nice footprint in China, and overall increasing customer satisfaction? Yes!

The one thing I wish Ford/Lincoln would really get on board with is this, focus on good engineering and quality (initial quality and long term). There is no reason a car should ever hit the lot with misaligned doors and hoods or A/C compressors should stop working in the first 10k miles. There are QC processes, just ensure they get followed rather than incentivizing quantity.

• Like 2

Could be worse. Could be Cadillac in which tons of money spent and the only thing that makes any real money is a Tahoe with thick carpet and oversized headlamps and an Acadia with Aztec nose. Lincoln, although not in Mercedes-Benz status, hasnt completely wasted billions of dollars. They are trying to find their way on a shoestring budget. The new continental is a contender, the navigator is a contender, the nautilus is also. These are all formidable products. Lincoln can be easily be on par with several brands trying to get to full luxury status similar to infinity, Cadillac, Acura.

And they can do this without selling the farm. Lincoln needs to get these products out and really amp up marketing. The Escalade isnt so popular because its that good. The F150 although a great product, didnt get to number one over and over just because. Its years of marketing and changing public perception and marking a good product.

Lexus started in 1990 with a good product and a cheap price then rose prices steadily after they got established. They used gussied up Toyotas and the highest selling products are Toyotas in a tux with fancy cuff links. Now. Although, I would never buy the predator style, the have a following that still will never be Mercedes-Benz status. I believe that is because Mercedes-Benz and bmw did/do not have lesser models in which they will always be associated with like ford,Honda,Nissan,Lexus,GM.

• Like 3

Until pop culture/celebrities stop buying BMW/Mercedes and endorsing their products, you will always have the brand snob who gets into that 3/C class lease. When it comes to buying cars, there are a ton of thousandaires out their that want to portray their image with the same car that with people who they feel are influential.

I for one think BMW has lost their way. They only build bloated behemoths and pretty meh 3 series any more. Yet, people buy them up like crazy. Drive an 80's-mid 90 M series and compare that to now. The older models were very spartan and fun to drive. Everything about the new BMW's seem almost synthetic/generic luxury.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

What do you want them to do with Lincoln?

Don't know now. I would have closed it with Mercury. "Lincoln" could have been an uber trim level, because ultimately, that's all it is now except your losing money with unique sheet metal and separate management costs.

Edit: And I certainly wouldn't be wasting money renaming a refreshed vehicle, especially with the name of a submarine.

Edited by Pioneer

I would have left it the way it is.I can see putting a name on a brand new model,but not changing an existing model given a refresh. It was mentioned in one of the videos that no name badge was going on the rear. If I bought one of these, I would tell my salesman to be sure MKX is added to the lift gate when it's ready for me to pick up. That would solve my issue.

nautiLUX

happyclap.gif

Don't know now. I would have closed it with Mercury. "Lincoln" could have been an uber trim level, because ultimately, that's all it is now except your losing money with unique sheet metal and separate management costs.

Edit: And I certainly wouldn't be wasting money renaming a refreshed vehicle, especially with the name of a submarine.

If you're concerned about the bottom line you should be thrilled with the way Ford is handling Lincoln. They're increasing sales but more importantly increasing ATPs now with Continental and Navigator approaching $80K and above and they've done it essentially on a shoestring budget compared to Caddy.

Add Aviator and another vehicle and they'll surpass Cadillac in sales volume and make way more profit than Cadillac with their somewhat bespoke platforms.

And CD6 should be a world class platform - even if it is shared with some lowly Fords.

• Like 1

You can't forget China. Lincoln sales have increased there from about 11,300 vehicles in 2015, to about 52,000 once 2017 ends. Most likely Lincoln sales in China will top that of the U.S. in several more years. Any auto manufacturer would kill to have that type of sales increase.

And I like Nautilus as a name.

• Like 2

My guess is drivetrain update will come one year after exterior refresh. The 9 speed auto implementation seems to have fallen way behind schedule. So they probably decided to save the money and just carryover the 2.7T + 6F35 combo.

Do they really expect to get by with a 2.0 as the base engine? The horsepower is about where they were in 07 when I had an MKX. I keep seeing "uncompromising performance" in the advertising. How do you get that when they take away about 60 horsepower?

• Like 2

I missed the part about the 2.0. That's truly a mistep in my mind. 2.3 should be the minimum. I mean last year 300hp standard, this year 245. WTF! That 8 speed better work wonders or this has flop written all over it.

0-60 in 8 second and the same gas mileage as the 2.7T. This might (barely) work for the Edge but the Lincoln is heavier, probably with a few hundred more pounds of insulation, gadgets and gizmos. Someone needs a (figurative) punch in the face for this one.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

Over at GMI, I said the following:

The two engines will be the 2.0T and 2.7T. I agree, it was surprising to see it retain the 2.7T instead of gaining the 3.0T. My guess is perhaps the 3.0 is capacity constrained and/or maybe it hasn't been paired with the 8-speed yet (which would mean they could use a single transmission for Edge and Nautilus production). I won't be surprised to see the 3.0T added either as a late 2019 build option or for 2020. The same reason could go for the use of the 2.0T instead of the 2.3T. But that's all just speculation by me.

Edited by rmc523

Over at GMI, I said the following:

The two engines will be the 2.0T and 2.7T. I agree, it was surprising to see it retain the 2.7T instead of gaining the 3.0T. My guess is perhaps the 3.0 is capacity constrained and/or maybe it hasn't been paired with the 8-speed yet (which would mean they could use a single transmission for Edge and Nautilus production). I won't be surprised to see the 3.0T added either as a late 2019 build option or for 2020. The same reason could go for the use of the 2.0T instead of the 2.3T. But that's all just speculation by me.

I'm wondering when this decision was made. It has the smell of the Fields all over it. Seriously, a 58 horsepower and a 3lb/tq drop but they added two gears. It's sad, this is the first time Lincoln is using a Ford base engine as their base engine in a long long time.

Edited by jcartwright99

I’ve said this before, but I own both a 2.0EB (Fusion) and a 3.7NA (MKX) and the 2.0EB feels way more powerful because the torque comes on much sooner. That said I think it’s a mistake to use the 2.0 and not the 2.3EB. Why not 2.0/2.7 for Edge and 2.3/3.0 for Nautilus?