2019 Lincoln MKX renamed Nautilus

Then why is there a separate forum for Lincoln Motor Company?

Sometimes good intentions don't quite work out- it's not like this place is so busy that it needs that much segregation to keep the proper topics at the top.

not to mention people use the view new content button, which is forum independent

• Like 1

Appearance changes now and mechanical changes in 12 months time?

They are adding the 8 speed now so I'm going to assume this will just ride it out, depending on timing it would be 2 1/2 - 3 years max with this update. Don't see any real Powertrain updates as this and the Edge are probably the last updates for any vehicle that will use CD4, and the 2.7L is already a very low take rate on the MKX. The MKX and the Edge were both going to be out for the 2015 model year and had crazy delays getting the launch out, Edge launched super late and MKX was held a model year.

Appearance changes now and mechanical changes in 12 months time?

8 speed tranny is new.

I think they’ll offer the 3.0L at least in Black Label trim. They’re probably waiting to make sure it’s ready with the new 8 speed tranny before announcing it. Worst case it should show up for 2020.

I also don’t understand why they’re using the 2.0L like the Edge and not the 2.3L.

• Like 1

So the typical Lincoln customer is still way above the age they want to attract. Autoguide said they moved down from 65 to about 58, so heading in the right direction.

And sarcasm isn't going to get you anywhere either.

Like I said, bitching to bitch...how is Nautiluss worse then then this shit:

RX350

Q5

GLC

XT5

and so on...

Nobody is rushing to change any of those. Cadillac,Audi, BMW,Infiniti etc all use that type of name and it works for them.

XT5

CT6

CTS

XTS

A4

A5

A6

Q50

Q60

3 Series

4 Series

Nobody is rushing to change any of those. Cadillac,Audi, BMW,Infiniti etc all use that type of name and it works for them.

XT5

CT6

CTS

XTS

A4

A5

A6

Q50

Q60

3 Series

4 Series

Define working...if anything this makes Lincoln "different" than the rest, which might be a good thing.

German brands are sold on the name..not not the model. People are hung up if you have an Audi,BMW, M-B...doesn't matter if you have leatherette seats in them, as long as it has that brand name

• Like 1

Here's what's being missed by most here: Luxury automotive purchases are being driven less by opulence and features and more by experience and emotion. You can get really nice leather and technical doodads in Kia's nowadays. The team behind Lincoln has research that backs a focus on the visceral reaction, emotional attachment, and aura of exclusivity that you see in their dealership model, their new and refreshed vehicles, and, soon, their marketplace imagery. It's not retro, it's not plush-for-plush's sake... It's the handsome and neat sensibilities of MidMod design applied to the modern luxury experience. Proper names, especially those that feign some connection to the rose-colored glasses view early 60's Americana, bring a much stronger emotional value to their target customer than alphabet soup.

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 8

XT5

CT6

CTS

XTS

A4

A5

A6

Q50

Q60

3 Series

4 Series

To me the problem with the letter and number is it if you tell someone you got an RX 330 or Q56 or CTS most people don't know what that is. You You tell someone you're driving a Mustang Navigator an Escalade a Camaro a Camry an Altima people know what it is. Tell me you got an E350 I don't know if you have a Ford van or Mercedes.

Edited by Ron W.

I was testing the new name on a friend of mine that isnt a car buff but knows Ford. I told him Lincoln is changing the MKX to nautilus. He said oh that makes sense. Thats a ship isnt it. He said it goes with the map theme they have going. He said I wonder if they will use compass. I told him jeep has a compass already. (That shows hes not a car guy). He also said I could not tell you what letter a particular Mercedes is. I dont know if its a S or E or whatever. I like names. So that being said its interesting to see how this will be received.

A side note, nautilus isnt any different than avalanche or cascadia or Verano, or hell oddessy. Since nautilus sounds like a huge boat or some sea creature to some, avalanche sounds like a precursor to the amount of problems you may in counter during ownership. However, the name worked.

The market will decide and it matters not what a few car folks or disgruntled employees think.

Edited by fordtech1
  • Like 3

I think Lincolns mistake was three letters. The people I know who own Lexus vehicles drive an LS/GX/RX etc, or, more likely a Lexus RX, Lexus GX, etc. Audi? Friend drives an Audi A4. It becomes more about the brand than the vehicle.

I've found most people that have the cheap versions of the luxury cars drive the brand when you ask what they drive. People that drive the expensive models will say the model.

• Like 2

I'm bitching because the name sucks. I begged for this thread to be moved to the proper forum. I don't go there for a reason. Don't like my opinion, fine. You can block me, ignore me, move the thread or ban me. Take your pick.

So we get you dont like the name, so what would you have proposed?

I've found most people that have the cheap versions of the luxury cars drive the brand when you ask what they drive. People that drive the expensive models will say the model.

An old business neighbor was a big BMW driver. Nothing else would do. He was telling me he almost bought a new X5 to replace his 7-Series. He couldnt do it, even though he loved it, because he is A 7 series guy and no way could I go down to a 5. He bought a new 7-Series but would love an X7 if it ever happens...

Moral is he wanted everyone to know he had the best of the best!

This will be Lincoln big struggle for the next decade. It doesnt have the cache of a BMW.

I was testing the new name on a friend of mine that isnt a car buff but knows Ford. I told him Lincoln is changing the MKX to nautilus. He said oh that makes sense. Thats a ship isnt it. He said it goes with the map theme they have going. He said I wonder if they will use compass. I told him jeep has a compass already. (That shows hes not a car guy). He also said I could not tell you what letter a particular Mercedes is. I dont know if its a S or E or whatever. I like names. So that being said its interesting to see how this will be received.

A side note, nautilus isnt any different than avalanche or cascadia or Verano, or hell oddessy. Since nautilus sounds like a huge boat or some sea creature to some, avalanche sounds like a precursor to the amount of problems you may in counter during ownership. However, the name worked.

The market will decide and it matters not what a few car folks or disgruntled employees think.

We need a Lincoln New Jersey for the MKT / Town Car replacement

That's one heck of a ship.....: ;)

Edited by jpd80

But they dont need to cater to those folks at all. There are plenty of potential buyers for a vehicle with great styling, features and performance. This is where Caddy messed up IMO and why CTS/ATS arent selling well.

I agree on the lower end but as Lincoln pushes to increase ATP towards $80k+ they will face this snobby push back.

I propose the Navigator name be changed to Titanic. The MkC could be named The Minnow. The Continental should be changed to Queen Mary and the upcoming 3-row crossover should be named the Costa Concordia.

Edit: I forgot the Mkz. I would propose Corvette because that is a fast ship, but GM might not like it. How about Seawolf?

• Like 1

I agree on the lower end but as Lincoln pushes to increase ATP towards $80k+ they will face this snobby push back.

Sure doesn't seem to hurt the plebeian Super Duty.

There is a market for Lincoln and I think its about buyers who want something nice/luxurious without being in your face about it. They really don't need rappers rapping about Lincoln.

• Like 1

When Mercury came out in 1939, they were a stretched Ford with more bling, more weight and a little bit more power.

When the Model A came out in 1928 it had scaled down Lincoln design elements.

Both of these situations were as a result of Edsel Ford's efforts, talents and vision.

For some buyers, sure. But in that price range you're only talking about a few hundred or a thousand units per month and with the right combination of styling, performance and amenities that shouldn't be hard to do.

As was pointed out, people are already spending that much for Ford and Chevy full sized trucks and suvs.

• Like 1

I always said the Avalanche was named such because of the avalanche of black plastic that fell on it (later models got rid of the lower plastic which helped, but early models were terrible).

An old business neighbor was a big BMW driver. Nothing else would do. He was telling me he almost bought a new X5 to replace his 7-Series. He couldnt do it, even though he loved it, because he is A 7 series guy and no way could I go down to a 5. He bought a new 7-Series but would love an X7 if it ever happens...

Moral is he wanted everyone to know he had the best of the best!

This will be Lincoln big struggle for the next decade. It doesnt have the cache of a BMW.

Well, lucky for him, they're finally coming out with an X7.

I propose the Navigator name be changed to Titanic. The MkC could be named The Minnow. The Continental should be changed to Queen Mary and the upcoming 3-row crossover should be named the Costa Concordia.

Edit: I forgot the Mkz. I would propose Corvette because that is a fast ship, but GM might not like it. How about Seawolf?

You hate the name so much, you made it your profile picture?

How about a trident?

Maserati or the gum company might have issue. But Lincoln Trident does sound interesting.

This is big news and confirms what we've been suspecting:

Lincoln boss Kumar Galhotra confirmed that MK prefixes are on their way out, after a little over a decade of confusing consumers. The changeover will be complete within the next two years, he added.

Both MKC and MKZ will be replaced within the next two years. And then there's the addition of Aviator sometime in that timeframe too.