2019 Lincoln MKX renamed Nautilus

I’ve said this before, but I own both a 2.0EB (Fusion) and a 3.7NA (MKX) and the 2.0EB feels way more powerful because the torque comes on much sooner. That said I think it’s a mistake to use the 2.0 and not the 2.3EB. Why not 2.0/2.7 for Edge and 2.3/3.0 for Nautilus?

That is an apple to oranges comparison due to weight. I have had an 2012 Edge 2.0 and currently own 2017 Fusion 2.0. I have also driven 3.7 MKZ and MKX. The 2.0 ecoboost is great off the line but after 4RPM that quick spinning turbo starts running out of steam fast. While you might not get the initial seat of the pants feel of the ecoboost the 3.7 really comes on mid-high rpms and generally has better performance 2.0 liter.

The 2.0 is fine in the Fusion and MKZ because it doesn't weigh 4400 pounds. Fast enough and due to initial torque feels a bit faster than it is. In the Edge it's acceptable as a base engine but just don't see it for a luxury application. Your suggestion for 2.3/3.0 for Nauti makes most sense.

On a side note, what does this mean for the 3.7? Mustang no longer uses it and the Nautilus won't use it. Does that leave only the Conti? We may have a dead engine walking.

Edited by jcartwright99

As of mid 2015, Ford started selling the 3.7 Cyclone as an industrial engine.

Just on the 2.0 EB vs 2.3 EB, I wonder if perhaps a PFDI version of the 2.0 EB would release

more torque and HP, allowing the smaller EB to cover the pre PFDI 2.3 EBs power/torque...

The MKC's power rating for 2.3 EB could almost be covered by an upgraded PFDI 2.0 EB if one actually exists...

Edited by jpd80

I’ve said this before, but I own both a 2.0EB (Fusion) and a 3.7NA (MKX) and the 2.0EB feels way more powerful because the torque comes on much sooner. That said I think it’s a mistake to use the 2.0 and not the 2.3EB. Why not 2.0/2.7 for Edge and 2.3/3.0 for Nautilus?

Like I speculated - maybe they just haven't paired the 8-speed with the 2.3/3.0 yet, so they want to keep the same engines/transmissions for part of a model year to keep costs down before it's ready to switch over?

Perhaps they’re only using the 2.0 in the base trim and the 2.7 will be standard on mid and reserve trim with the 3.0 available on Black Label?

I don’t think we’ve seen all the drivetrain details yet.

They didn't specify that, but the 3.0 wasn't mentioned at all, so I can't imagine it'd be available on BL. I'd be ok with a base trim 2.3, 2.7 on mid/reserve, with 3.0 optional on reserve and standard on BL.

That is an apple to oranges comparison due to weight. I have had an 2012 Edge 2.0 and currently own 2017 Fusion 2.0. I have also driven 3.7 MKZ and MKX. The 2.0 ecoboost is great off the line but after 4RPM that quick spinning turbo starts running out of steam fast. While you might not get the initial seat of the pants feel of the ecoboost the 3.7 really comes on mid-high rpms and generally has better performance 2.0 liter.

The 2.0 is fine in the Fusion and MKZ because it doesn't weigh 4400 pounds. Fast enough and due to initial torque feels a bit faster than it is. In the Edge it's acceptable as a base engine but just don't see it for a luxury application. Your suggestion for 2.3/3.0 for Nauti makes most sense.

On a side note, what does this mean for the 3.7? Mustang no longer uses it and the Nautilus won't use it. Does that leave only the Conti? We may have a dead engine walking.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it phased out on the Conti for 2019 either.

It probably also has a lot to do with what's available with 6F and 8F supply during Ford's production changeover

and probably a combination of everyone's thoughts - maybe Ford is simply going with what it can safely guarantee,

leaving the 8F as a high series option in the first year like they did with the 10R...

I wonder if the 8F is not all that different to GM's 9F version internally save for slight gear pack changes

and one less version of clutch apply that simplifies shift flow and eliminates the hunting issue GM had in

early series 9Fs...The Fords may prefer slightly altered gear stepping to improve shift quality.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It probably also has a lot to do with what's available with 6F and 8F supply during Ford's production changeover

and probably a combination of everyone's thoughts - maybe Ford is simply going with what it can safely guarantee,

leaving the 8F as a high series option in the first year like they did with the 10R...

I wonder if the 8F is not all that different to GM's 9F version internally save for slight gear pack changes

and one less version of clutch apply that simplifies shift flow and eliminates the hunting issue GM had in

early series 9Fs...The Fords may prefer slightly altered gear stepping to improve shift quality.

Ford engineers didn't see much difference in efficiency in a 9 speed vs an 8 speed so for the sake of manufacturing cost and simplicity they changed it to an 8 speed.
  • Like 1

The 3.7 is used as the base V6 in the Transit. Itd be interesting to see the take-rate on the Trandit between the 3.7, 3.5EB and the Diesel.

For the time being... I think it will be replaced by the 3.3 V6 from F-150 when Ford gets around to update the Transit.

• Like 1

Ford engineers didn't see much difference in efficiency in a 9 speed vs an 8 speed so for the sake of manufacturing cost and simplicity they changed it to an 8 speed.

icon_thumbs1.gifs

so

can it be said if there will ever be a Fomoco 9-speed version?

• Like 1

The 3.7 is used as the base V6 in the Transit. Itd be interesting to see the take-rate on the Trandit between the 3.7, 3.5EB and the Diesel.

IMO, the 3.7 would be the lion's share of vans with the diesel and EB V6 being small quantities (ie around 10% each?)

Edited by jpd80

I ordered a 2015 MKC in the spring of 2014 after my MKX was written off when I was rear ended on I-15 going through Las Vegas. I have been pleased with the vehicle particularly the 2.3 Echoboost but the rear seat leg room leaves a lot to be desired. I had decided to buy a 2018 MIX until I saw the specs with no change from 2017. Have recently had 2 test rides in a Volvo SUV and was close to purchasing when info arrived on the 2019 Nautilus. I have seen a number of the features listed but nothing about Heads up Display. I was really taken with this feature on the Volvo and would think with the price being asked for the top of the line Lincoln SUV this would be available

Read a couple stories that the Cherokee with the 9 speed rarely is ever in 9th gear. Even with the V6 it rarely uses it, even 8th wasn't always used.. They may have fixed that with software but I never understood having gears that aren't being utilized.