Ford Fusion Simplified Pricing (more standard stuff, more expensive)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/05/2019-ford-fusion-sport-gets-new-content-6190-price-hike.html

The Fusion S will now start at $23,735, while the Fusion SE will start at $25,015. Fusion Hybrid models will be priced from $28,450, while the Energi Plug-In variant has been priced from $37,490.The Fusion Titanium will cost $35,235, a significant increase of $3,870, while the Fusion Sport will run buyers $40,910 – an increase of $6,190. It should be noted that the Fusion Sport now offers standard equipment that would have previously pushed the price beyond $43,000, however.

• Like 1

So no more low-dollar stripper models. Simplified ordering for dealers and customers. Better value for customers, more profit for Ford. Makes sense for everyone, really.

Yet all you are going to see is people bitching about price increases Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Ice-Capades said that they were only going to produce hybrids and energis for dealer stock and that regular models would be retail (sold) orders only for the next 2-3 months in anticipation of more hybrid sales due to higher gas prices.

Titanium now has all the optional stuff from the Platinum. This is a good step in the right direction for all Ford models. Let's hope Lincoln got the memo too.

The pricing may have change but I feel like Ford will still be willing to deal with cash back and good financing. They will have to since they are essentially letting it die on the vine. Please don't say the 2019 updates are anything more than window dressing on an old product. I have a 2017 and like it. However, A friend just leased a new Accord and I drove it the other day. It's a heck of a car. If I were buying a sedan today, I would probably plop my money down on an Accord. It's not perfect but it does feel head and shoulders better than my car. I hate saying that but it's true. I am not a fan of the Accord styling either. I like having AWD but would probably would settle for a set snow tire and call it a day.

They also need to significantly reduce Fusion volume over the next 2 years as they end production. It's not a bad idea to stop the hemorrhaging on unprofitable customers since the car is a lame duck anyway and I don't think Ford is that interested in holding onto marketshare for marketshare sake at this point.

The pricing may have change but I feel like Ford will still be willing to deal with cash back and good financing. They will have to since they are essentially letting it die on the vine. Please don't say the 2019 updates are anything more than window dressing on an old product. I have a 2017 and like it. However, A friend just leased a new Accord and I drove it the other day. It's a heck of a car. If I were buying a sedan today, I would probably plop my money down on an Accord. It's not perfect but it does feel head and shoulders better than my car. I hate saying that but it's true. I am not a fan of the Accord styling either. I like having AWD but would probably would settle for a set snow tire and call it a day.

is the Accord not available with AWD?

I don't think they're increasing prices, just making more things standard. They'll either have to keep high incentives or do moderate incentives and cut back on volume.

To the educated, no its not an increase because theyre adding more standard features. But to the uninformed it looks like a price increase.

Ford still needs to show buyers what they've done with value packs on Fusion models

confusion starts and ends with them not simply saying something like SE Value pack.

Doing this change so late in the vehicle's product cycle runs the risk of potential buyers

not understand what's changed, Ford needs to spell it out. that these cars have more

than they did before..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I wonder if it've been better to make a new tippy-top trim like 'Unobtanium-Zirconia' (semi-jk)

and keep the known trim-names as close as possible to former prices

ange003.gif

Edited by 2b2

To the educated, no its not an increase because theyre adding more standard features. But to the uninformed it looks like a price increase.

When I first saw the headline, I was like wow, that's a jump, but then actually reading it, you see that basically all the optional equipment on whatever trim became standard, justifying the price increase.

SE Hybrid is the sweet spot in the 2019 Fusion lineup. And a good value among all 2018 and 2019 midsize hybrid sedans. It's the lowest priced car in its class with automatic emergency braking & forward collision alert, blind spot monitoring, automatic high beams, lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and rain sensing wipers.

I wonder if it've been better to make a new tippy-top trim like 'Unobtanium-Zirconia' (semi-jk)

and keep the known trim-names as close as possible to former prices

ange003.gif

Or maybe follow Ford Europe with the plus after trims to denote loaded versions Edited by jpd80

Well I like the idea of the simplification in package ordering and think it was long overdue, the resale value for these cars is going Drop like a rock. Not sure anyone in their right mind would spend $41k on a Fusion GT. Maybe $30 and even then I would be nervous.

Why they made an announcement to kill the fusion 2-4 years before they do, that has to be one of the stupidest decisions Ive seen in awhile.

I was talking with a dealer principal today who owns several International truck dealerships but also a Ford commercial truck store and he was surprised how this was handled.

Edited by kyle
  • Like 1

Since when is increasing the price not a price increase?

It's Fords choice to make these cars more expensive by including more stuff, that people may or may not want... And for someone looking for a cheap sedan, the fusion may no longer be an option.

A price increase is a price increase.

• Like 1

Since when is increasing the price not a price increase?

It's Fords choice to make these cars more expensive by including more stuff, that people may or may not want... And for someone looking for a cheap sedan, the fusion may no longer be an option.

A price increase is a price increase.

And people that are just looking for a cheap car do nothing to improve the bottom line for a manufacture and are not loyal customers. They will just go buy the next cheap thing when they need a car.

• Like 2

There’s no proof that “cheap” car buyers (and the Fusion is not a cheap car) are any more disloyal than buyers of more expensive vehicles. If they are, then Ford’s in trouble with their strategy of moving buyers upmarket as they will need to attract wealthier customers that are currently buying something else.

• Like 1

There’s no proof that “cheap” car buyers (and the Fusion is not a cheap car) are any more disloyal than buyers of more expensive vehicles. If they are, then Ford’s in trouble with their strategy of moving buyers upmarket as they will need to attract wealthier customers that are currently buying something else.

Most buyers cross shop, whether it's to get lowest price or to get a better deal from preferred brand.

Sure there is. Let's call them "value" shoppers. Value shoppers don't care about brands or features - they buy based almost strictly on cost. This means that they usually buy base models or lightly optioned models which don't provide as much profit for the mfr to begin with. On top of that they tend to shop sales and whoever has the most incentives or subsidized leases usually wins. So on top of selling a low end model to begin with you have to put cash on the hood. It's a race to the bottom going after those kinds of customers. For some mfrs who don't have the option of selling more high end vehicles (like Kia/Hyundai) that might be ok.

Ford has good conquest numbers for their utilities and for the newer Lincolns, so attracting new buyers isn't a problem as long as you've got good products. The fallacy is thinking that selling a dirt cheap Focus or Fusion at a loss or break even gets you a future customer that will spend more money. It might in some cases but by and large that's not how it works.

• Like 1