Bronco Sport Impresses

59 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I think the new ranger is supposed to get a hybrid as well so that’s another power train it could have. The fixed roof is the big draw for me though. I have a 45 min highway commute. I’m not sure I could handle the road noise from the bronco. The explorer timberline will probably fill this role and I would consider it if I didn’t already have an explorer. I also think it will be at a higher price point than the Everest would be.

37 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Looking at the Bronco build and price site, you can order a roof sound-deadening headliner for $495.00

I read somewhere that the fiberglass hardtop is heavier and might be a bit more insulating.

Could be good test drive one and check it out in person.  That combined with the headliner might be enough to make it work for you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I think the new ranger is supposed to get a hybrid as well so that’s another power train it could have. The fixed roof is the big draw for me though. I have a 45 min highway commute. I’m not sure I could handle the road noise from the bronco. The explorer timberline will probably fill this role and I would consider it if I didn’t already have an explorer. I also think it will be at a higher price point than the Everest would be.

I did forget the new Ranger's hybrid option. I guess overseas, there could be a potential 2.7L Ecoboost for the Everest/Ranger in coming years in addition to that. I have a feeling a fixed-roof off-roader could have a decent market here in the U.S. too, though I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

There's a reason 2 door SUVs went away.   They're just not practical.

Yup.  The 2 door explorer lived in the transition period between 2 door only (well, there were a few) suvs and mainly 4 door.  I think it was more of a hedge whether the 4 door Explorer would take off.  By the time the Expedition replaced the Bronco, it was 4 door only.

Nice to see the 2 door bronco available and with a manual transmission.  It would be my first choice of Broncos.  But, the practicality of the F150 power boost has me looking at it for my next vehicle.

4 hours ago, sullynd said:

Coupes and Sedans too. I’ve always thought it was cost. As vehicles have become so expensive (because even the most basic car has what would be luxury features a decade ago, plus the never ending drive to make them safer) people want the ginsu knife of vehicles, which is SUV/CUV/Four Door truck. 

Yup.  Cost is certainly a huge factor too - as you point out, many need a swiss army knife that can do different things, and crossovers these days offer the comfort/mileage of a car with the practicality/space of an SUV.  2 doors just limits your ability to carry people/stuff too much for most.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Yup.  The 2 door explorer lived in the transition period between 2 door only (well, there were a few) suvs and mainly 4 door.  I think it was more of a hedge whether the 4 door Explorer would take off.  By the time the Expedition replaced the Bronco, it was 4 door only.

Nice to see the 2 door bronco available and with a manual transmission.  It would be my first choice of Broncos.  But, the practicality of the F150 power boost has me looking at it for my next vehicle.

I do like how the 2 door Bronco looks, I just know I wouldn't like having the 2 doors only.  4 door is vastly more practical.

5 hours ago, slemke said:

I had a 2002 Explorer 2 door. It was great at the time because I rarely used the back seat. Would never get one today because of the kids. 

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think most of it is COVID related...people can't socialize as much or do what they used to and people are bored/angry/whatever and are slagging off on another as a pass time now. You see it on social media more so these days...and since more and more people are  using the internet and engaging with other people, being rude to another is par for the course. 

Thanks for the feedback! I think you raise a very valid assessment of one of the impacts of the Covid-19 situation we're all trying to deal with as best we can. 

15 hours ago, FR739 said:

After reading threads for a while I joined to give some input on a thread about Explorer sales.  I provided basic information and opinion and the moderator clearly didn’t like what I posted, took it personally, and used his ability to look up IP addresses and posted my location (or what he thought was my location) and accused me of being a disgruntled Chicago worker.  There was no open minded discussion, no acknowledgement of a logical argument etc.  

Read it for yourself below.  After that I ignore that person.  Nobody should be treated that way. 

Whether it be a post on a message board or in a text conversation with someone, it's sometimes difficult to understand the context that was intended. As such, we sometimes take what's written literally and either misunderstand or take what was written too seriously. Sometimes it's better to just relax and let things slide and not react or overreact too quickly. I'm just talking in very general terms and not taking any side between members. That's not what I'm here for. I'd like to help whenever I can so that hopefully members will have a positive experience here. Hope this helps. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The fixed roof is the big draw for me though. I have a 45 min highway commute. I’m not sure I could handle the road noise from the bronco.

Sounds like the easiest way to answer that question is to drive a Bronco when they finally arrive at dealerships. Of course, that means once some stock units show up. 

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Sounds like the easiest way to answer that question is to drive a Bronco when they finally arrive at dealerships. Of course, that means once some stock units show up. 

Yes that is the complaint with the Jeep Wrangler. Important to test drive one for 24 hours. Mullinax Ford will let you test drive any vehicle for 24 hrs. +. The Wrangler is a hard vehicle to live with as everyday vehicle if you are not used to that sort of vehicle. The Sport seems to be the best all around off road type vehicle. Bronco more of 2nd vehicle for hard core use. 

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

True, although aesthetically I find a fixed roof to look better too. The Broncos hard top has a bunch of seams and creases all over the place, although the rest of the body DOES look good enough to where I could overlook that if it is quiet enough. I’m also slightly worried about the roof leaking, but that’s something we won’t know about for a couple of years.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

True, although aesthetically I find a fixed roof to look better too. The Broncos hard top has a bunch of seams and creases all over the place, although the rest of the body DOES look good enough to where I could overlook that if it is quiet enough. I’m also slightly worried about the roof leaking, but that’s something we won’t know about for a couple of years.

theres also a sound insulation upgrade on the Bronco Hard-top

Checked out the bronco sport today and it seemed pretty nice. I didn’t like the cactus gray, it had too much green in it. Area 51 looked good on an overcast day but I’d like to see it in the sun. The big bend had the optional wheels which looked good. The seats looked better than the escape, but it still had the escapes cheap looking gauge cluster. The hard plastics had a nice texture to them. The badlands was better. It actually had different seats with more bolsters. It felt a lot more comfortable. The leather seats from the badlands package look better in person. In pictures I always thought it was too light, but it was darker in person. The seating position felt lower than my escape. Couldn’t drive any of them as they were in the show room. The badlands had the optional wheels. I don’t like the steelies look, but they looked better in person too. The more aggressive tires looked good on it and was really the only difference I could tell between the big bend and badlands. They seemed about the same height.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There was a Cactus Gray Ranger parked outside the building as I was leaving work yesterday, I really liked it. Different strokes for different folks. 

In some light it looks like a pure gray and that I like, but once the green comes out I don’t like it. It looked like a very very light sea foam or mint green.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

BuT tHe 1.5 Is TeRrIbLe!!!111

Completely off-topic but this reminds me of the time I took one of my sisters and her husband to the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland. We were sitting in one their small theater rooms watching the Concert For Bangladesh and Bob Dylan was performing live. My brother-in-law, who had no clue who Dylan was or what his influence was on music, blurted out for the entire room to hear "He's TERRIBLE!" All I could tell him was "You have to listen to the words, not how he sings them." ?

17 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Completely off-topic but this reminds me of the time I took one of my sisters and her husband to the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland. We were sitting in one their small theater rooms watching the Concert For Bangladesh and Bob Dylan was performing live. My brother-in-law, who had no clue who Dylan was or what his influence was on music, blurted out for the entire room to hear "He's TERRIBLE!" All I could tell him was "You have to listen to the words, not how he sings them." ?

Not being a Dylan fan growing up I had the same reaction.

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

Dylan didn't age well. Watch the tapes of him in the 60's in his prime. I personally don't enjoy aging rock stars try to recreate their early years.

A few years ago I saw Jackson Brown live in concert in Detroit. It was grim. He wanted to play his new stuff and the crowd grew increasingly impatient and drunk as his set continued. You could see Jackson get anxious as the audience started shouting out the 70's hits he's known for. Finally, he started playing his vintage hits near the end, but by then the crowd had become rude and unhappy. Neil Young has experienced some of the same crowds. 

Moral of the story....know when to retire from live performances. Dylan as he aged just started garbling his words together to where you couldn't understand his lyrics anymore. Frank Sinatra near the end forgot his lyrics and even fainted on stage. Sad.

22 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Dylan didn't age well. Watch the tapes of him in the 60's in his prime. I personally don't enjoy aging rock stars try to recreate their early years.

A few years ago I saw Jackson Brown live in concert in Detroit. It was grim. He wanted to play his new stuff and the crowd grew increasingly impatient and drunk as his set continued. You could see Jackson get anxious as the audience started shouting out the 70's hits he's known for. Finally, he started playing his vintage hits near the end, but by then the crowd had become rude and unhappy. Neil Young has experienced some of the same crowds. 

Moral of the story....know when to retire from live performances. Dylan as he aged just started garbling his words together to where you couldn't understand his lyrics anymore. Frank Sinatra near the end forgot his lyrics and even fainted on stage. Sad.

That's what I love about Garth Brooks (although he's not that old yet).  The last time I saw him he said that when he was growing up and went to see his favorite brands he didn't want to hear the new stuff - he wanted to hear the old stuff so that's what he's going to play for the next 2.5 hours.   He might sneak in one new song but that's it.  Know your fans.