Jump to content





Lavien

2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, akirby said:

 

Let's wait and see the final product before passing judgement.

Of course! but until then all there is to do in these threads is talk and speculate amongst ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

2022-ford-maverick-pickup-spied-22-jpg.2

Not a fan of that either. In the pic above you can see a fair amount of plastic trim on top of the bed that goes up the rear of the cab. I guess they are trying to camouflage that rake in the bed. When you combine that with the rear bumper and the trim in front of the rear wheel, there’s a whole lot of plastic on that bed. I guess you gotta save money somewhere though if you are aiming for a sub 20k price.

 

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

 

My Escape has a black, plastic bumper and hard to notice any scratches from loading and unloading bikes and bags of mulch. My Crosstrek had the pretty Quartz Blue bumper and any scratch was very noticeable.

 

I have noticed the new RAV 4 has not only a plastic rear bumper, but also the lower third of the tailgate is black plastic also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

 

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

 

My Escape has a black, plastic bumper and hard to notice any scratches from loading and unloading bikes and bags of mulch. My Crosstrek had the pretty Quartz Blue bumper and any scratch was very noticeable.

 

I have noticed the new RAV 4 has not only a plastic rear bumper, but also the lower third of the tailgate is black plastic also. 

A chrome truck bumper would have also been acceptable, and emphasized the "truck" factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, probowler said:

A chrome truck bumper would have also been acceptable, and emphasized the "truck" factor.

 

Now that is what I hate.....CHROME!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

 

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

 

The plastic cladding around the bed is there for the same reason.

 

I really like it overall..not sure I'd buy one, but as the wife would say, its cute! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see it has a sunroof. Lack of one on Ranger is one reason I haven't considered buying one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tow hitch for a wheelbarrow is a nice touch...should of been a courier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

 

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

 

My Escape has a black, plastic bumper and hard to notice any scratches from loading and unloading bikes and bags of mulch. My Crosstrek had the pretty Quartz Blue bumper and any scratch was very noticeable.

 

I have noticed the new RAV 4 has not only a plastic rear bumper, but also the lower third of the tailgate is black plastic also. 

For me is all about looks. And I don’t think you can really compare an suv to a truck here. If you look at both the rav4 and escape, a large portion of the plastic is covered with silver which makes it look a lot nicer IMO. Plus the wheels on the suv are closer to the back so the plastic doesn’t wrap around as much. The camo isn’t doing it any favors either since it makes the trim really stand out. I’d guess after the camo is removed, it will look better.mlp-img-perf-2021-rav4.jpgford-escape-titanium-2020-03-angle--blue

ford-maverick-spy-photos.jpg
 

regardless, it looks 1000x better than this

3.jpg?height=400

Edited by T-dubz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I hope it pushes the Ranger a little larger.

 

I'm betting the next Ranger will be offered with a longer bed length to allow some further capability separation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

 

I'm betting the next Ranger will be offered with a longer bed length to allow some further capability separation. 


Do any competitors offer longer beds?

 

Maverick is 4 ft.  Ranger is 5 and 6.  F150 is 5.5, 6.5 and 8.

 

I could only see a longer bed with a single cab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

regardless, it looks 1000x better than this

3.jpg?height=400

 

The ridgeline was a decent looking truck till they did that with the wheelwells...yikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, akirby said:


Do any competitors offer longer beds?

 

Maverick is 4 ft.  Ranger is 5 and 6.  F150 is 5.5, 6.5 and 8.

 

I could only see a longer bed with a single cab.

Do we know for certain the Maverick bed is 4ft? Not doubting it, just curious if it’s been confirmed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, akirby said:


Do any competitors offer longer beds?

 

Maverick is 4 ft.  Ranger is 5 and 6.  F150 is 5.5, 6.5 and 8.

 

I could only see a longer bed with a single cab.

Chevrolet offers a choice of 5' and 6' with Colorado crew cab but I don't believe it's any great advantage.

It's easy to get drawn into offering longer beds, thinking that's what customers want when it's chasing 

fewer and fewer sales. Ford does diversity on F150 only because there's like +40,000 sales a month.

 

I like the way the Maverick is shaping up, it's more of an antidote to an over supply of  compact utilities,

an ace that Ford now holds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Do we know for certain the Maverick bed is 4ft? Not doubting it, just curious if it’s been confirmed.  

 

We know it is shorter than Ranger and 4 ft looks about right with my naked eyes.

 

Explorer Sporttrac had 4 ft bed... and Ford sold plenty of them. It only went away because Explorer went unibody and Ford didn't think there was a market for unibody truck. But here we are... 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

 

The ridgeline was a decent looking truck till they did that with the wheelwells...yikes


I think that's either a graphics package or some other special edition. I've never seen one like that in person 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, akirby said:


Do any competitors offer longer beds?

 

Maverick is 4 ft.  Ranger is 5 and 6.  F150 is 5.5, 6.5 and 8.

 

I could only see a longer bed with a single cab.


but muh plywood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


I think that's either a graphics package or some other special edition. I've never seen one like that in person 

 

Apparently its something from the factory and it looks terrible

 

60293535a8497.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Apparently its something from the factory and it looks terrible

 

60293535a8497.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

 

 


Asian automakers have all been making a lot of questionable design decisions in recent years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, bzcat said:

 

We know it is shorter than Ranger and 4 ft looks about right with my naked eyes.

 

Explorer Sporttrac had 4 ft bed... and Ford sold plenty of them. It only went away because Explorer went unibody and Ford didn't think there was a market for unibody truck. But here we are... 😅

I'll give you alternate universe, Ford built two T6 Ranger mules with 2.0 EB and ZF6HP19 back in 2008.

North America could have changed its mind anytime it liked but Mullally was crusading to end many  BOFs.

 

Ford Aust. also had this interesting Falcon pickup that had sedan Front with a boxed half chassis at the rear,

now if that was applied to either Edge or Explorer, then you would have seen something quite remarkable.

Unfortunately, Dearborn doesn't think that way.....

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


but muh plywood

 

I'm not thinking 48" wide sheet goods will fit thru the tailgate,,,,

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

 

I'm not thinking 48" wide sheet goods will fit thru the tailgate,,,,

 

HRG


I bet they will.  Easily.  Transit connect is 70” wide.  Bronco Sport is 73”.  Even with 8 inches clearance on either side it’s still at least 54”.  Now length is a problem but width should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Chevrolet offers a choice of 5' and 6' with Colorado crew cab but I don't believe it's any great advantage.

It's easy to get drawn into offering longer beds, thinking that's what customers want when it's chasing 

fewer and fewer sales. Ford does diversity on F150 only because there's like +40,000 sales a month.

 

I like the way the Maverick is shaping up, it's more of an antidote to an over supply of  compact utilities,

an ace that Ford now holds.


Im not advocating for longer Maverick beds.  I think 4 ft is right for what it is.  If you need longer you get a Ranger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Apparently its something from the factory and it looks terrible

 

60293535a8497.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

 

 

Looks like they picked up a designer or two from the Chevy Silverado team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


Exactly. Something is being hidden. 


I hope that is the case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I'll give you alternate universe, Ford built two T6 Ranger mules with 2.0 EB and ZF6HP19 back in 2008.

North America could have changed its mind anytime it liked but Mullally was crusading to end many  BOFs.

 

Ford Aust. also had this interesting Falcon pickup that had sedan Front with a boxed half chassis at the rear,

now if that was applied to either Edge or Explorer, then you would have seen something quite remarkable.

Unfortunately, Dearborn doesn't think that way.....

Or if Dearborn had have pulled its head out of its arse and realised it had something in Falcon / Territory that, with some investment could easily have easily been a global product... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×