Light at the end of the chip shortage.....hope this is true....

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Even they should be able to plug in a module……

I still think this is a logistics nightmare and the timetable is still TBD and dealerships have to "opt in" to the program. It's also possible that by the time Ford's able to identify the chip(s) necessary per VIN number and ready to ship to dealerships that the chip issue will hopefully be less of an issue and the end result will be that it made more sense and more efficient for Ford to handle the installation. 

22 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I still think this is a logistics nightmare and the timetable is still TBD and dealerships have to "opt in" to the program. It's also possible that by the time Ford's able to identify the chip(s) necessary per VIN number and ready to ship to dealerships that the chip issue will hopefully be less of an issue and the end result will be that it made more sense and more efficient for Ford to handle the installation. 

Oh I agree it might be a colossal CF logistically.  But assuming they get the right module for the right vehicle installing them shouldn’t be a big issue.

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

Between Bronco tops and chips and who knows what else, I would not want a dealership doing final assembly on my vehicles (yes, I know it isn't final assembly, I am trying to be dramatic!). 

A team of well trained technicians can't do any worse at a dealership than Ford itself at its assembly plants.

35 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

A team of well trained technicians can't do any worse at a dealership than Ford itself at its assembly plants.

I don't care how well trained a dealer tech is, nobody knows these products more intimately than those of us on the line building them. I bet I could completely disassemble and reassemble a Focus door (front or rear, doesn't matter) much faster than a dealer tech could. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Shanej830 said:

I gotta agree,  dealerships tech has no idea on some of stuff goes in to repairing these. Charge ford arm and leg for process which would only take few minutes to do. 

It doesn't work like that and in by far the majority of cases, it's not a matter of a technician's qualifications or experience. Any work paid by Ford under warranty, etc. is paid according to Ford's labor timetable regardless of how long it actually takes the technician. You'd be surprised how often Ford's "allowed" time is nowhere close to the actual time required.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmm... the overall situation industry-wide doesn't seem to be improving yet. And Toyota, an automaker that so far had been able to mostly work through the shortage, is now getting hit hard. For them is is partly the chip shortage (they have apparently worked through their massive stockpile) and new supply-line constraints coming out of Southeast Asia.

See: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-plunges-report-chip-shortage-062436110.html 

(source: Bloomberg, Thu, August 19, 2021, 5:44 AM)

"Toyota Motor Corp. slumped as much as 4.7% as the worsening chip shortage saw the world’s No. 1 automaker suspend output for several days at almost all its plants in Japan next month, forcing a 40% cut in production plans.

"Adjustments will be made to the production operations of plants for completed vehicles in Japan due to parts shortages resulting from the spread of Covid in Southeast Asia, Toyota said in a statement Thursday. A total of 360,000 fewer cars will now be made next month. The cuts were reported earlier by Nikkei.

Some 27 lines in 14 plants in Japan will be impacted, affecting production of models from the RAV4 to Corolla, Prius, Camry and Lexus RX, Toyota said. That represents a hit to every one of the plants Toyota has across the country bar one.

" 'Especially in Southeast Asia, the spread of Covid and lockdowns are impacting our local suppliers,' Toyota’s Purchasing Group Chief Officer Kazunari Kumakura said. Going forward, the company will look at ways of further diversifying its supply chains to not focus on one region and is attempting to find replacement parts from suppliers in other regions, he said.

"Kumakura declined to comment on specifics regarding Toyota’s parts shortages, but noted supply chains in Vietnam and Malaysia were particularly impacted.

"Toyota maintained its annual operating profit outlook earlier this month, disappointing investors that had been buoyed by its peer-beating financial performance on the back of brisk global demand for automobiles. The carmaker kept its forecast for 2.5 trillion yen ($22.7 billion) for the fiscal year through March, versus analysts’ average projection for 2.95 trillion yen.

"While a shortage of automotive chips has hindered many rivals’ ability to capitalize on strong global demand for cars over the past nine months, Toyota up until now had been relatively unimpaired due to its supply-chain savvy and the strong stock it keeps of key components such as semiconductors..."

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 4:12 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't care how well trained a dealer tech is, nobody knows these products more intimately than those of us on the line building them. I bet I could completely disassemble and reassemble a Focus door (front or rear, doesn't matter) much faster than a dealer tech could. 

Its like saying I could play golf as good as John Rahm....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deanh said:

Its like saying I could play golf as good as John Rahm....

Hold on there.  Factory may be better at putting in a module on the line, but dealer techs may have done dozens of field replacements already which might be a lot harder than on the assembly line where all the components aren’t in the way.

• Thanks 1

Chip shortage must be abating s touch if you look at Mullinax inventory for August. Lots of new Escapes and Bronco Sports finally arriving. Over 20 Escapes in last week.....mostly hybrids. About 200 FSeries in stock......most in months. In July, Mullinax was down to less than 300 vehicles, but now about 400 vehicles even with many daily sales. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, akirby said:

Hold on there.  Factory may be better at putting in a module on the line, but dealer techs may have done dozens of field replacements already which might be a lot harder than on the assembly line where all the components aren’t in the way.

Usually stuff like that isn't buried behind too much stuff in case it ever needs to be replaced, especially in the doors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Chip shortage must be abating s touch if you look at Mullinax inventory for August. Lots of new Escapes and Bronco Sports finally arriving. Over 20 Escapes in last week.....mostly hybrids. About 200 FSeries in stock......most in months. In July, Mullinax was down to less than 300 vehicles, but now about 400 vehicles even with many daily sales. 

I noticed on Thursday on my way home Crest Ford in Flat Rock suddenly had a lot more on their lot beyond the 2 Mustangs and 1 Transit Connect that have been sitting there for a few weeks. Lots of Escapes, a few Edges, a few F-150s and the Bronco Demo unit they've had on display. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 7:26 AM, Gurgeh said:

Hmm... the overall situation industry-wide doesn't seem to be improving yet. And Toyota, an automaker that so far had been able to mostly work through the shortage, is now getting hit hard. For them is is partly the chip shortage (they have apparently worked through their massive stockpile) and new supply-line constraints coming out of Southeast Asia.

See: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-plunges-report-chip-shortage-062436110.html 

(source: Bloomberg, Thu, August 19, 2021, 5:44 AM)

"Toyota Motor Corp. slumped as much as 4.7% as the worsening chip shortage saw the world’s No. 1 automaker suspend output for several days at almost all its plants in Japan next month, forcing a 40% cut in production plans.

"Adjustments will be made to the production operations of plants for completed vehicles in Japan due to parts shortages resulting from the spread of Covid in Southeast Asia, Toyota said in a statement Thursday. A total of 360,000 fewer cars will now be made next month. The cuts were reported earlier by Nikkei.

Some 27 lines in 14 plants in Japan will be impacted, affecting production of models from the RAV4 to Corolla, Prius, Camry and Lexus RX, Toyota said. That represents a hit to every one of the plants Toyota has across the country bar one.

" 'Especially in Southeast Asia, the spread of Covid and lockdowns are impacting our local suppliers,' Toyota’s Purchasing Group Chief Officer Kazunari Kumakura said. Going forward, the company will look at ways of further diversifying its supply chains to not focus on one region and is attempting to find replacement parts from suppliers in other regions, he said.

"Kumakura declined to comment on specifics regarding Toyota’s parts shortages, but noted supply chains in Vietnam and Malaysia were particularly impacted.

"Toyota maintained its annual operating profit outlook earlier this month, disappointing investors that had been buoyed by its peer-beating financial performance on the back of brisk global demand for automobiles. The carmaker kept its forecast for 2.5 trillion yen ($22.7 billion) for the fiscal year through March, versus analysts’ average projection for 2.95 trillion yen.

"While a shortage of automotive chips has hindered many rivals’ ability to capitalize on strong global demand for cars over the past nine months, Toyota up until now had been relatively unimpaired due to its supply-chain savvy and the strong stock it keeps of key components such as semiconductors..."

Not surprised about this.  The Toyota lots around me do not look any better than the Ford lots.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/bosch-says-semiconductor-supply-chains-in-car-industry-no-longer-work.html

"German technology and engineering group Bosch, which is the world’s largest car-parts supplier, believes semiconductor supply chains in the automotive industry are no longer fit for purpose as the global chip shortage rages on...

" 'As a team, we need to sit together and ask, for the future operating system is there a better way to have longer lead times,' he said. 'I think what we need is more stock on some parts [of the supply chain] because some of those semiconductors need six months to be produced. You cannot run on a system [where] every two weeks you get an order. That doesn’t work.'

"Semiconductor supply chain issues have been quietly managed by the automotive in the past but now is a time for change, according to Kroeger, who believes demand is only going to increase with the rise of electric vehicles and autonomous vehicles.

" 'Every car that gets smarter needs more semiconductors,' Kroeger said. Electric cars need very powerful and efficient semiconductors in order to to get more range out of each kilowatt hour of battery, he added.

"UBS analyst Francois-Xavier Bouvignies told CNBC last week that cars with internal combustion engines typically use around $80 worth of semiconductors in the powertrain, but electric vehicles use around $550 worth..."

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:55 PM, jpd80 said:

People haven’t thought this through, the logistics of shipping “dead vehicles” from holding yards  to

dealerships  is immense, it’s  not like you can turn a key and drive them on and off trains or trucks,

it just doesn’t make sense to do that 45,000 times with F Series let alone all the other dead vehicles

Ford has. It’s a logistical nightmare as is the thought of fitting chips to vehicles in holding yards before

transport……

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  My BS BB with a June build is still sitting in the Rot Lot waiting for the final chip needed.  That's why I put another deposit on a BS BB that was built this month and should be at the dealers by the end of September.  My first car has the dreaded 11/3/21 date.

3 hours ago, Lori.RI said:

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  My BS BB with a June build is still sitting in the Rot Lot waiting for the final chip needed.  That's why I put another deposit on a BS BB that was built this month and should be at the dealers by the end of September.  My first car has the dreaded 11/3/21 date.

I personally wouldn't buy of of these trucks that has been sitting for several months. There is going to be paint surface contamination. Are the dealers going to "clay bar" the trucks before delivery? How does the sun blaring at the tires affect dry rot? For those who don't drive many miles, the tires could be subject to a shorter life.

I haven't ruled out an F150 for my next truck purchase. But it will defiantly not be one sitting in the "rot lots". BTW-dealers run through their vehicles (generally) much faster than the vehicles that have been sitting in these lots. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I personally wouldn't buy of of these trucks that has been sitting for several months. There is going to be paint surface contamination. Are the dealers going to "clay bar" the trucks before delivery? How does the sun blaring at the tires affect dry rot? For those who don't drive many miles, the tires could be subject to a shorter life.

I haven't ruled out an F150 for my next truck purchase. But it will defiantly not be one sitting in the "rot lots". BTW-dealers run through their vehicles (generally) much faster than the vehicles that have been sitting in these lots. 

I thought about the paint and critters moving in,  but I never thought about the tires.  It makes me feel better about reserving a second BS that came of the line fully assembled and shipped 2 days later.  

1 hour ago, Lori.RI said:

I thought about the paint and critters moving in,  but I never thought about the tires.  It makes me feel better about reserving a second BS that came of the line fully assembled and shipped 2 days later.  

Paint  surface contamination is a GIVEN. It can be remedied with a clay bar application. Premature dry rot of tires are a POSSIBILITY along with critters chewing up things. Yet-I am assuming that automatically applying a clay bar application isn't going to happen.

31 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Paint  surface contamination is a GIVEN. It can be remedied with a clay bar application. Premature dry rot of tires are a POSSIBILITY along with critters chewing up things. Yet-I am assuming that automatically applying a clay bar application isn't going to happen.

So your vehicles are parked in a garage 100% of the time? BS. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So your vehicles are parked in a garage 100% of the time? BS. 

Paint contamination is a given here-yes my vehicles are parked in a garage. And once a year they get the clay bar treatment by me. There is absolutely no way the paint surface will not have contamination. Saying other wise is naïve at best. This forum is so biased at times -its in an alternate universe.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1