January '22 Sales Report

Explorer down 10% too. If I remember correctly, explorer is usually pretty steady. Wonder if the chip issues had a larger effect this month? I wish they also added available inventory to the data so you could get a feel if it’s a supply issue or not. Was the bronco sports numbers down because there wasn’t as many for sale or is the newness of it starting to wear off?

36 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Explorer down 10% too. If I remember correctly, explorer is usually pretty steady. Wonder if the chip issues had a larger effect this month? I wish they also added available inventory to the data so you could get a feel if it’s a supply issue or not. Was the bronco sports numbers down because there wasn’t as many for sale or is the newness of it starting to wear off?

Our local Ford dealer didn't have any Explorers on the lot when I last checked (this past Sunday). 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

BS seems to be an inventory issue. Turn around time is 17 days which is very good. Maverick is about 3 days. 

Lower sales in January are a direct consequence of fewer builds in December or less shipping from holding yards.

14 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

BS seems to be an inventory issue. Turn around time is 17 days which is very good. Maverick is about 3 days. 

Almost everything at Ford is inventory limited, either dealers can’t replenish quick enough or Ford can’t build enough. 50,000 F Series is telling compared to 55,000 last January when things were arguably worse.

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

Our local Ford dealer didn't have any Explorers on the lot when I last checked (this past Sunday). 

that probably explains it. I figured there would have been more sales since the explorer expanded its trims (timberline, st-line, king ranch). Can’t sell what you don’t have though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

that probably explains it. I figured there would have been more sales since the explorer expanded its trims (timberline, st-line, king ranch). Can’t sell what you don’t have though.

Around Thanksgiving another central Pennsylvania Ford dealer had a brand-new Explorer Timberline with a $5,000 "price adjustment!" 

34 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Lower sales in January are a direct consequence of fewer builds in December or less shipping from holding yards.

Almost everything at Ford is inventory limited, either dealers can’t replenish quick enough or Ford can’t build enough. 50,000 F Series is telling compared to 55,000 last January when things were arguably worse.

Certainly supply issues are major issue, but hard to know how fuel prices are affecting what consumers buy. However, fuel prices probably negatively affect F150, Expedition, and Ranger sales somewhat and positively affect sales of electrified vehicles. 

56 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Certainly supply issues are major issue, but hard to know how fuel prices are affecting what consumers buy. However, fuel prices probably negatively affect F150, Expedition, and Ranger sales somewhat and positively affect sales of electrified vehicles. 

If buyers were starting to balk at those vehicles the turn rates would slow down, they only made 5,000 Rangers last month and Ford only made a combined 60,000 F Series last month, some of those made for Canada too

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

819028AE-E425-4C1D-9EAB-3F8BF074BBA9.jpeg

57F1C694-19A5-4FA6-9BA1-888BA5BB3BF9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The turn around time for Mavericks is insane. It's literally impossible to find one to test drive right now, because the only ones coming in are customers orders.

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

The turn around time for Mavericks is insane. It's literally impossible to find one to test drive right now, because the only ones coming in are customers orders.

That why I ordered mine, tomorrow is the day emails go out for next builds, fingers crossed but think it’s a summer time delivery at the earliest for me.  

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

There are plenty available out of inventory but they sell within a day or two at $5k over MSRP.

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

To be fair, as far as markups go, having a 5k markup on an SUV that's already what? 45, 50,55k isn't the worst thing in the world. 

By contrast, a $5k markup on a $25k Maverick is huge, but I guess because the price is still relatively low buyers don’t mind.

For those who like colors and unit differences:

image.thumb.png.2763873e442baf2fb51135030e16e1d2.png

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Lincoln this year.  They'll have another 2,453 built in unit losses (a total of 3,141 for the year) from the loss of sedan sales.

Seems like just as they were starting to turn a corner, the brakes got slammed.  At least they have increased ATPs from a few years ago.

I'd imagine they're getting hit by inventory issues too, which isn't helping things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

78,000 inventory for F Series at the start of February is extremely low, about a third of pre 2020 level.

Explorer inventory at 16,000 is also an indication that Ford is struggling to get enough production.

Seems like Ford is getting hit by chip shortages again-Broncos are being built but there is a new Dirt/Ice Mountain of them waiting for a supply of chips. February builds are getting pushed to May! Mine is supposed to be built next month, but I wonder if I'll get it before the 4th of July now. I'm also assuming that Ford is expecting a large shipment of chips to help out with the back log in the next 60 days or so, so where will be a huge amount of Broncos hitting the market before the summer starts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

For those who like colors and unit differences:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Lincoln this year.  They'll have another 2,453 built in unit losses (a total of 3,141 for the year) from the loss of sedan sales.

Seems like just as they were starting to turn a corner, the brakes got slammed.  At least they have increased ATPs from a few years ago.

I'd imagine they're getting hit by inventory issues too, which isn't helping things.

Edge and Nautilus seem to be at the bottom of the list for microchips right now.  Corsair, Aviator and Navigator should be a little higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Edge and Nautilus seem to be at the bottom of the list for microchips right now.  Corsair, Aviator and Navigator should be a little higher.

Yep. My father has an order for a Nautilus that was placed in early November. Still can't get a  solid build date. Got one once that was cancelled. That reminds me, I need to check on the status soon in the locator thread.

28 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yep. My father has an order for a Nautilus that was placed in early November. Still can't get a  solid build date. Got one once that was cancelled. That reminds me, I need to check on the status soon in the locator thread.

Yeah I’m thinking we need to go ahead and order now instead of waiting until later in the year.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Yeah I’m thinking we need to go ahead and order now instead of waiting until later in the year.

If you need a car later this year, then absolutely you should order because you ain't buying it off the lot later.

When the lease on my Audi was up last October, I checked the Carmax and Carvana offers vs. buyout and the buyout was $3k lower than trade in (crazy right?) and retail price was roughly $6k higher than buyout. So I did the rational thing and I bought the car.

I just got an email from the Audi dealer that originally sold the car offering to buy it sight unseen for $7k more than the buyout 4 months later. That's how bad the new car shortage is right now. I checked the retail price the car right now and it is $10k higher than the buyout 4 months ago. So in the last 4 months, the car appreciated roughly 15% even as I put on more miles. Nuts...

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

If you need a car later this year, then absolutely you should order because you ain't buying it off the lot later.

Well we don’t really need it right away which is why I was planning to order something later this year expecting to get it next year.  But with the current back up and Ford’s apparent decision to favor other vehicles I’m just worried if the order stretches into 2023 that it gets delayed and then Ford decides to pull the plug early.    Unless I can talk her I to the Aviator then I’m not worried.

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well we don’t really need it right away which is why I was planning to order something later this year expecting to get it next year.  But with the current back up and Ford’s apparent decision to favor other vehicles I’m just worried if the order stretches into 2023 that it gets delayed and then Ford decides to pull the plug early.    Unless I can talk her I to the Aviator then I’m not worried.

Keep in mind that towards the end of the Model Year, there are always options that balance out early, especially if those options or other features are being cancelled for the following Model Year. 

• Like 1