UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, my point being that the strike action at the time had no influence in changing the decision on the other three US plants.

If my memory is correct, UNIFOR did strike over the Oshawa plant / car production line (?) closure but it wasn’t successful 

GM reviving the Oshawa plant a few years later showed how a change of product makes all the world of difference 

(sorry battling with Autotext changing meaning of words I wanted or post)

What are you talking about? One of those 4 plants was D-ham and now it’s being turned into one of their hubs for electric vehicles. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, akirby said:

It didn’t change any of that as far as I can see.  It reaffirmed that public sector employees cannot be forced to pay union fees reversing a previous decision to the contrary.   And that has nothing to do with Georgia being agricultural.

It did make a big impact on unions and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What are you talking about? One of those 4 plants was D-ham and now it’s being turned into one of their hubs for electric vehicles. 

Oacjay98 explained it perfectly in a previous post, I messed up and included Oshawa as the 4th plant but clearly in Canada.

As mentioned below, I think GM used the change of product at the Canada plants to get rid of older workers…

On 8/16/2023 at 12:37 PM, Oacjay98 said:

The strike that GM had in Canada was the GM CAMI plant in Ingersol, Ontario in 2017. The strike was for a month. GM moved the Terrain and eventually some Equinox production to Mexico and threatened to close the plant now they’re building GM Brightdrop vans with limited production because they don’t have enough batteries. GM I believe knew what they were doing all along and did a legacy dump to get rid of older workers and rehire new cheaper workforce. Only 300 people remained after plant closed as Oshawa was only a stamping operation and test track until it fully reopened. 

Edited by jpd80

17 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Oacjay98 explained it perfectly in a previous post, I messed up and included Oshawa as the 4th plant but clearly in Canada.

As mentioned below, I think GM used the change of product at the Canada plants to get rid of older workers…

Now in saying what I said obviously the 300 that remained were probably very high seniority workers but Oshawa had an older workforce and there were a lot of buyouts. I thought that plant was dead in the water then they reopen it that’s why I allege they did what they did to get a cheaper workforce. I forgot about Detroit Hamtramack being converted to EV as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, akirby said:

3 things.

1 - the US Congress (not GA) passed the Taft Hartley act in 1947 which made closed union shops illegal nationwide and allowed states to further outlaw forced union membership and dues illegal.

2 - GA is a mostly agricultural state and farms don’t want or need unions.  There are plenty of unions in Atlanta but nothing like the industrial areas.

3 - stop playing the race card.

1. Governor Talmadge signed Georgia's right-to-work law in March 1947, 3 months before Taft-Hartley Act was enacted by the federal government. 
  2. Agriculture remains an important industry in Georgia (especially chicken, cotton, and peanuts), but its direct contribution to Georgia's GSP and proportion of the overall labor force is about 1%. The state has been predominantly urban for decades. In the 2020 census, Georgia was 74% urban. 
  3. Playing the race card is exactly what white Southern politicians did to garner support for right-to-work laws in the 1940s and 1950s. For example, Vance Muse said "From now on, white women and white men will be forced into organizations with black African apes whom they will have to call 'brother' or lose their jobs" to argue against labor union activity (and to promote right-to-work laws) in Texas.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-demands-secrecy-preps-salaried-091813157.html

” Ford Motor Co. is preparing white-collar workers to do blue-collar jobs in case of a UAW strike, according to internal company materials reviewed by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.Over the past month, Ford has held meetings with salaried workers, including engineers, to explain that the company wants to protect the flow of parts to car dealers in support of customers. This means Ford is planning to take actions that include sending white-collar workers into parts warehouses to run forklifts, according to meeting attendees.”

15 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-demands-secrecy-preps-salaried-091813157.html

” Ford Motor Co. is preparing white-collar workers to do blue-collar jobs in case of a UAW strike, according to internal company materials reviewed by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.Over the past month, Ford has held meetings with salaried workers, including engineers, to explain that the company wants to protect the flow of parts to car dealers in support of customers. This means Ford is planning to take actions that include sending white-collar workers into parts warehouses to run forklifts, according to meeting attendees.”

Nothing new, happens every time. The only reason it’s even being reported is because the UAW leadership is being so openly aggressive. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nothing new, happens every time. The only reason it’s even being reported is because the UAW leadership is being so openly aggressive. 

Interesting, did not know that. I bet that would be fun to watch though, those guys probably have no idea what they are doing lol

7 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Interesting, did not know that. I bet that would be fun to watch though, those guys probably have no idea what they are doing lol

I’ve been trained to replace our union workers every 3 years since 2009.  Happens everywhere.  They don’t actually have to be able to do the work, they just need enough training for the company to threaten to use them as a negotiating ploy.  I actually had to report a few years ago when a local faction decided to prove they could walk out for no real reason.  Caught the company and the union leaders by surprise.  Didn’t really do anything, just waited around for 4 days until they decided to come back.  But had it turned into a long strike we would have absolutely been pressed into service of some kind.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 12:27 AM, akirby said:

I’ve been trained to replace our union workers every 3 years since 2009.  Happens everywhere.  They don’t actually have to be able to do the work, they just need enough training for the company to threaten to use them as a negotiating ploy.  I actually had to report a few years ago when a local faction decided to prove they could walk out for no real reason.  Caught the company and the union leaders by surprise.  Didn’t really do anything, just waited around for 4 days until they decided to come back.  But had it turned into a long strike we would have absolutely been pressed into service of some kind.

Something you said there intrigued me, being caught by surprise is something different to what’s expected..The UAW thinks strike action will result in action? Maybe they call the UAW’s bluff and members are so pissed that chief and negotiation team are not doing what member want - negotiation.

On a different note, 

Maybe the UAW negotiating team go in expecting a huge fight with lots of nos but come away with some good gains across the board in lots of areas instead of the 46% pay raise thing.

I’m just throwing it out there that maybe UAW has more progress with say, Ford than GM or Stellantis who think that their companies should give less this time around. Maybe things get a little wiggly wobbly and confusing. The members want something they can see is progress and gets them level with inflated prices.

Edited by jpd80

5 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Indeed and GM  probably will again, it’s in their corporate nature

but that doesn’t mean Ford needs to copy them….

I’ve heard some things from some friends that are in the know to a degree. Sounds as if Ford is looking to do a little less pattern bargaining this time around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

If true, that’s disappointing

Why? What’s best for GM and Stellantis isn’t always what’s best for Ford and so on and so forth. As long as the economic parts are close the union shouldn’t have too much of an issue with it. Doesn’t mean they won’t since the president is rather unpredictable. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why? What’s best for GM and Stellantis isn’t always what’s best for Ford and so on and so forth. As long as the economic parts are close the union shouldn’t have too much of an issue with it. Doesn’t mean they won’t since the president is rather unpredictable. 

When you said Ford doing a little less pattern bargaining, I thought that meant they weren’t going to match where GM and Stellantis pay more, things like an increase in profit bonus check was off the table or am I completely wrong about this?

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

When you said Ford doing a little less pattern bargaining, I thought that meant they weren’t going to match where GM and Stellantis pay more, things like an increase in profit bonus check was off the table or am I completely wrong about this?

You definitely misinterpreted. The economics should me pretty much the same, I would expect the differences to be in more of the operational aspects. My opinion is Ford would like more flexibility in the parts end of the business, meaning more ability to retool engine and transmission plants for the EV switch. As long as there’s certain job security provisions I don’t see why the union can’t play ball. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You definitely misinterpreted. The economics should me pretty much the same, I would expect the differences to be in more of the operational aspects. My opinion is Ford would like more flexibility in the parts end of the business, meaning more ability to retool engine and transmission plants for the EV switch. As long as there’s certain job security provisions I don’t see why the union can’t play ball. 

OK, it makes sense to start talking now about transferring as many existing workers as possible.

It might surprise Ford to know how many employees want to change with the company and make BEVs.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

OK, it makes sense to start talking now about transferring as many existing workers as possible.

It might surprise Ford to know how many employees want to change with the company and make BEVs.

Eh, I would pump the brakes on that. There’s a lot of skepticism and concern the change is happening faster than what the market is ready for here on the floor. 

• Like 3