Ford Sales February 2024 - Up 10.5% Overall

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’ve backed themselves into a corner now though. For years since Jim Farley took over they’ve constantly bragged about their 10 percent (or close to it) margins and every move they’ve made has been in an attempt to increase stock prices. Start dropping prices now and Wall Street is going to be very unhappy with that. It’s going to be interesting to see how they navigate through this. 

With 4B shares outstanding, there's not much that will raise the per share price and a share repurchase plan will take years at a substantial cost before showing significant improvement. Of course, Ford and Lincoln improved sales performance will be a major factor but getting the share price to increase is no simple matter and requires long term planning and commitment. 

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re hoping it will be like the Wrangler. The problem with that is they can’t keep relying on a 10 year production cycle if they want to do that, at least not for Bronco. 

Agreed. A fixed/hard top Bronco option would be a great addition imho. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re hoping it will be like the Wrangler. The problem with that is they can’t keep relying on a 10 year production cycle if they want to do that, at least not for Bronco. 

The Wrangler doesn't change all that much either over long periods of time. The Bronco will be fine if it keeps getting updates over a 10 year period. 

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Jeep has been slashing their MSRP’s considerably. I hope we take the hint and stop this insane pricing that’s not sustainable and will kill product lines.

I had a friend get a Wrangler 4XE, and I think after incentives he got like 15-20K off the 70K price it was! 

With a Bronco refresh coming in the next 24 months, maybe Ford will adjust MSRPs by not raising them when the refresh comes out. I can see them simplifying the lineup even more also. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Im glad there was. My Flex was built in the final month of production. Love it. 

I still have my 2013 Flex with 103,000 miles.  What a great vehicle.  Since it was never a commodity maybe they should bring it back 😉

55 minutes ago, Schpark said:

I still have my 2013 Flex with 103,000 miles.  What a great vehicle.  Since it was never a commodity maybe they should bring it back 😉

My 2 complaints are the capacitive touch buttons on the IP and I’ve already needed to replace a rear shock and a front strut, though the latter 2 is more of an indictment on the state of the roads around here than it is anything Ford can control. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schpark said:

They kinda did in a round about way. One of the overseas versions of the transit was recently redesigned with boxy SUV inspired styling, and a two tone roof. Boxy styling, two tone, 7 seater family hauler. That makes it a spiritual successor to the flex in my mind even if the rear doors open differently. They should bring it here. 

On a side note, what engine is your flex running? Our explorer with 30k miles on it has a 3.5 duratec. Love it. I'm curious to see how it holds up over time. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

The Flex is a solid product I’m glad you love it.

We loved ours!  Ours was one of the first, an '09 model.  We drove it for 127k miles before downsizing to an Escape as our kids got older and we didn't need the 3rd row anymore.  It was ahead of its time with the luxury-like interior.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

We loved ours!  Ours was one of the first, an '09 model.  We drove it for 127k miles before downsizing to an Escape as our kids got older and we didn't need the 3rd row anymore.  It was ahead of its time with the luxury-like interior.

Perfect example of a passion product.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Our 2010 Flex was a great vehicle. We have about the same mileage. We kept it for my son, but decided to give him our 2015 Edge instead, so the Flex is going to be donated (it needs some work, and is not worth fixing to sell).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

The interior was very spacious and comfortable and quiet as well. Great ride quality, the styling wasn’t for everyone though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, akirby said:

The answer to almost everything sales related is price.  As prices go up sales go down because the number of potential buyers at each price level drops.  I don’t blame them for raising prices initially when dealers were getting $10k - $20k ADMs plus inflation.  But it’s time to make adjustments and find the sweet spot between profit and volume.

sure but like my earlier example a trim equipped the same exact way increases price by $8k in 2 years with little to no changes, that’s ridiculous.

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I loved mine too - it was also an ‘09 and had over 150k miles on it when I sold it.

• Like 3

I had the first Flex that my dealer received.  Was an 09 Limited in Chocolate Brown Metallic with the Tan Interior.  I had it for 3 years. I can honestly say that as much as I enjoy all my MKX/Nautilus built in Oakville , my Flex was quieter driving and smoother to drive also.  It also felt much more solid. I loved it. Too bad Ford did not update the styling to make it less polarizing. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

sure but like my earlier example a trim equipped the same exact way increases price by $8k in 2 years with little to no changes, that’s ridiculous

Mine went up $4-5K for a lower end model that you can't even get the 2.7L V6 in anymore. 

But also at some point in time, Broncos where commanding anywhere from 10-30K markups on them, no matter what the model. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Mine went up $4-5K for a lower end model that you can't even get the 2.7L V6 in anymore. 

But also at some point in time, Broncos where commanding anywhere from 10-30K markups on them, no matter what the model. 

True about the markups.  But the problem there is you had the “gotta have it”’s buying initially, which was going to wear off at some point.  Unless it was production issues leading to low inventory (doesn’t seem like it), I think the “gotta have it” buyers have gotten theirs already so we’re getting into the territory of needing sustainable sales, and constantly jacking up prices for no added value is not a recipe to have sustained sales

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

True about the markups.  But the problem there is you had the “gotta have it”’s buying initially, which was going to wear off at some point.  Unless it was production issues leading to low inventory (doesn’t seem like it), I think the “gotta have it” buyers have gotten theirs already so we’re getting into the territory of needing sustainable sales, and constantly jacking up prices for no added value is not a recipe to have sustained sales

Your not wrong about that, Ford needs to be careful on how they navigate that. 

• Like 2