Lincoln getting all of Mercury's ad dollars

Link

Lincoln spokesperson Christian Bokich reminded AN that the automaker is "preparing the way for seven new or significantly refreshed vehicles" that will be launched over the next four years, and the largest ad blitz in 2011 will focus on the refreshed MKX crossover, as well as the MKZ sedan and its hybrid counterpart. Following that, Lincoln has plans to launch a completely overhauled version of its Navigator SUV, an all-new C-segment vehicle and the overhauled 2013 MKZ, which Tasca says will be "strikingly different from its Ford Fusion sibling."

Yeah and after getting all their ad dollars, the best they could come up with is "Smarter than Luxury"...well guess what, I want my money back !! If thats the best they can do, time to switch to a new company...HORRIBLE!

The actual ad line I've heard is "It's not just luxury, it's smarter than that". That sounds better than the way you phrased. Has your line been used in an ad?

More than they told us at the Lincoln meetings. I still don't know what they will require of me facility-wise. It's a bit comical at this point.

They've said they're working with dealers on a case-by-case basis to discuss upgrades, based on the facility you have now. I'm guessing that they just haven't gotten to you yet.

Which should also mean a new Expedition soon.

One would hope. The Expedition is a nice truck, but the styling has gotten stale since 2007. Thankfully there isn't really a standout product in the segment, although the GMT900 SUV's handily outsell the Expedition/Expedition EL/Navigator. I'll concede that, to my eye, the Tahoe's exterior is aging a bit better than the Expy's, though the Ford's interior blows the bowtie out of the water.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Jill Wagoner comes with all the Mercury ad money too.... :drool:

You're not alone there... :shades:

In Detroit NEw website, there is story of end of Mercury, and the pic shows why. I has a 1951, then a 67 Cougar, and then a badge job 1978 Zepher. When Merc dealers got same cars as Ford, then they competed with Ford and ruined any 'mid/lux' image.

it would be best go after Caddy, and not try to be Germanic right away. Wait for the old timer image of carriage roofs/slow drivers to fade into oblivion, then push "drivers cars" more.

Following that, Lincoln has plans to launch a completely overhauled version of its Navigator SUV

Just had an interesting thought...Why not shrink down the Navigator to the new 2011 Explorer platform (IIRC wasn't there spy shots of this)? I don't think that refreshed Expedition is really going to be worthwhile to make into a Navigator, esp if its going to be even closer to current F-150 Platform. I'd think they'd be better served with a Platium edition Navigator in that case.

The actual ad line I've heard is "It's not just luxury, it's smarter than that". That sounds better than the way you phrased. Has your line been used in an ad?

The only place "Smarter than Luxury" has been used that I know of is in print ads under the Lincoln star. Otherwise, the "it's not just luxury, it's smarter than that" line has been used (to my knowledge), as Tom said.

Just had an interesting thought...Why not shrink down the Navigator to the new 2011 Explorer platform (IIRC wasn't there spy shots of this)? I don't think that refreshed Expedition is really going to be worthwhile to make into a Navigator, esp if its going to be even closer to current F-150 Platform. I'd think they'd be better served with a Platium edition Navigator in that case.

Because then in wouldn't be a Navigator.......there's been talk of a new "Aviator" anyway. I even got unsolicited "confirmation" that a new "Aviator" may be in the works from a Ford guy that was driving the '11 Explorer I saw/drove around (from Detroit).

Edited by rmc523

it would be best go after Caddy, and not try to be Germanic right away. Wait for the old timer image of carriage roofs/slow drivers to fade into oblivion, then push "drivers cars" more.

...but Cadillac is trying their darndest to be like the Germans right now. Isn't it basically the same thing as going after the Germans?

First confirmation of a new Navigator, and it looks like it might debut before the MKEscape, which was thought to be next in the "new Lincoln" progression.

The quote says "Lincoln has plans to launch a completely overhauled version of its Navigator SUV", I wonder what that means. Another MCE or all new based on the current or maybe next gen F150 or Lincoln version of the Explorer. If the next Navigator appears before the Lincoln MKEscape, I would think it'll either be another MCE with the 3.5EB, 5.0 & 6.2 or maybe a stretched Explorer. I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Which should also mean a new Expedition soon.

Depends on what the new Navigator will be. If it's an MCE, I would guess the next Expedition will be too. But, if the Navigator becomes a Lincolnized version of the Explorer and/or stretched Explorer, maybe the Expedition will go away. I sure hope not, I would like to replace our Expedition within the next few years.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Jill Wagoner comes with all the Mercury ad money too.... :drool:

...You're not alone there... :shades:

sorry guys

considering her last Ford-gig, Jill decided she has a better chance of job security with "WipeOut"

1.gif

Note to Lincoln - TONE DOWN THE GRILL!

Agreed, I went to the SD Car Show with a friend who has a 350Z. To him, at least, ALL the Lincoln grills were over done. Otherwise he actually liked the MKT. And thee was a man/wife who seemed very impressed and acted like potential buyers.

So when is the MCE 2012 MKS due out? I would hope Ford would be talking about it soon at one of these upcoming auto shows. The present MKS can't limp along much longer, even with the special lease deals. And I would also hope that the next Navigator is based off the new Explorer. Lincoln doesn't need a big special utility truck anymore that gets poor fuel milage and looks ugly to boot. Further, Lincoln dealers need some hope right now. So let's hope Ford shows off the new MKS and some Lincoln concepts so that we can see where they are going over next few years.

• Like 1

Ford should relaunch Lincoln as affordable luxury vehicles, build products that aspirational people want and can afford.

and this would be different HOW, Jpd?

:blink: confused.gif :blink:

or do you think Lincoln should REACH even LOWER?

The quote says "Lincoln has plans to launch a completely overhauled version of its Navigator SUV", I wonder what that means. Another MCE or all new based on the current or maybe next gen F150 or Lincoln version of the Explorer. If the next Navigator appears before the Lincoln MKEscape, I would think it'll either be another MCE with the 3.5EB, 5.0 & 6.2 or maybe a stretched Explorer. I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Depends on what the new Navigator will be. If it's an MCE, I would guess the next Expedition will be too. But, if the Navigator becomes a Lincolnized version of the Explorer and/or stretched Explorer, maybe the Expedition will go away. I sure hope not, I would like to replace our Expedition within the next few years.

I have a feeling it will be more of a refresh than completely new.

I do not see Expedition going away - that'd be stupid; I do, however, see it sharing a lot more with the F-150 again as the original did.

If Ford based the upcoming Navigator on the Explorer, would there be a need for the MKT? Rumors are plenty that the Flex is toast, which might down the MKT with it anyway, Thoughts?

If the MKT is nearly dead, why the investment in making it their new Livery model?

The next Navigator will be what every other Navigator has been... an Expedition-based, full sized BOF SUV.

There's been enough info leaked for me to believe that a Lincoln Explorer variant is under development.

As for the Flex, I think most rumors are coming from those who don't like it. Ford has been on the record saying it's profitable at its current sales level.

If the MKT is nearly dead, why the investment in making it their new Livery model?

The next Navigator will be what every other Navigator has been... an Expedition-based, full sized BOF SUV.

There's been enough info leaked for me to believe that a Lincoln Explorer variant is under development.

As for the Flex, I think most rumors are coming from those who don't like it. Ford has been on the record saying it's profitable at its current sales level.

Insiders have also said the Flex and MKT are getting nice MCEs and the Flex in particular is stunning. Of course that could change.

And If Mercury was any indication, 4-5 years from now the headline will read "Ford Division Getting All Of Lincoln's Ad Dollars".

Even if Lincoln does get the much talked about new products (just like Mercury did with Milan and Mariner) you need to:

#1 Have people wanting to buy a Lincoln, just like they want an Audi/Mercedes Etc...

#2 Having a Sales/Service experience on par with Acura/Audi/Mercedes Etc...

In my opinion, I feel that Fo.Mo.Co. should just concentrate on Ford Division. I am 34 years old and yes, I grew up around Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Products and also drive a 2010 Milan. The problem is most of my friends cannot understand why I would buy a Mercury or A New Lincoln. Most people my age upon seeing my new Milan thought Mercury was discontinued years ago, and I was also told why would I spend $45-50 K on a Lincoln when I could buy a Mercedes/BMW or Audi.

BTW: My Next car to replace the Milan Lease will be a Lincoln MKS. The reason is simple: I like Fo.Mo.Co. and the MKS with EcoBoost and AWD is great. My Dad has one and we both love it. The problem is most younger people my age do not see Lincoln as that Performance/Luxury Vehicle and that is sad.

I hope I am Wrong about all of this but if history is any indication....